• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

How clever are barbel??

Wayne Glossop

Only been barbeling for 3 years, but this season has been my most productive (so far). After all the time and effort and plucking away and trying and testing rigs,hooks, line etc, after simplyfying my tactics this year i personally believe barbel arnt as clever as what some make out. To me its all about locating the right swim/stretch it wasnt long ago i was struggling for a bite to which i personally believe i was trying too hard.
This season iv kept it simple and put more effort into location and the watercraft iv learnt over time which has resulted in 2 14lb barbel this season plus a couple of smaller doubles. The rigs and end tackle would be a bit rough to some of you but for me simply putting effort into choosing the right swim is my priority now.
Whats your thoughts are the barbel really as clued up as people make out???? Or do you put more time into the watercraft??
Best wishes!!!

Last edited:
Going by the number of recaptures I would say they are pretty stupid. Although having said that they do spook easily in shallow water so I would say they are wary.

Like many location is the main thing. All this fancy rigs etc a no no for me keep things simple.Barbel are not that hard to catch

Agree entirely with the OP,it's location location location.

I have caught the same barbel twice during the same session on more than one occasion.They are not the sharpest tool in the box and can't be compared to some wily carp.If they are feeding and a bait is dropped in front of them they will invariably take it.

That said they are my favourite fish in the river as they are excellent fighters right to the net and I never tire of catching them.:)

Yes i suppose when it comes down to it if you can find the fish fancy rigs and the newest wonder bait dont count for much.....We just like to complicate things:(

i'm loving this ! all i have to do is find a few, chuck a half decent bait and simple rig in front of em and Bobs your mothers brother !!! Those two kippers that wound me up for 8hrs the other day are for it now :D

John Newman has it about right, Wary (at times), stupid ? groups of fish competeting maybe, individual fish not so. In coloured water or in the dark maybe, in clear water in the daytime not so.
Carp in an overstocked puddle, stupid, the 5 or 6 biggies that lived in the Car Park lake, not so.

Generalising is usually a mistake ;)

Last edited:
Rigs and fancy bits are designed to sell. I 've always kept things simple. O.k. Some rig items like snag safe lead clips etc are a must but most of the people I know are just like me and fish a very simple rig.
Watercraft is the key to most fishing. It's no good fishing for something if they are not there. Find them and you have a good chance of catching them.

i'm loving this ! all i have to do is find a few, chuck a half decent bait and simple rig in front of em and Bobs your mothers brother !!! Those two kippers that wound me up for 8hrs the other day are for it now :D

John Newman has it about right, Wary (at times), stupid ? groups of fish competeting maybe, individual fish not so. In coloured water or in the dark maybe, in clear water in the daytime not so.
Carp in an overstocked puddle, stupid, the 5 or 6 biggies that lived in the Car Park lake, not so.

Generalising is usually a mistake ;)

Enough said Simon.

We get plenty of people who normally fish the Trent, etc come down to the Loddon and blank :)

Barbel fishing is not rocket science! However we will no doubt all concede - the venue, the time of year, clear water, coloured water, head of fish, day or night, size of river etc. etc. all combine to confuse and challenge the simple minds of us anglers! We have all come across situations when these 'easy' fish are all but impossible to catch!

Last edited:
agree with you there roger, they can be inpossible to catch, and this is where it pecks ure mind, ???? , like you say with all the above conditions, set to test us,

Perhaps this thread should be entitled ''How clever are barbel anglers? '' As several posters have pointed out , the key is location , once you have cracked that one then they are as difficult to catch as the prevailing conditions allow .i.e gin clear river , on a warm sunny day ,and fish who know what bait is , not easy . High stock river , plenty of nice warm water with a few feet on , a relative doddle . Bottom line is if you put the hours in on whatever river you fish , use your loaf and keep your eyes and ears open you will catch what you desire ,but only if it is there for you to catch . There are not many anglers who consistently catch fish who do not follow these maxims .Simples :D

Well said Mike. Fish are not clever, the physical size of their brain dictates that. However, for obvious reasons, they are endowed with a healthy level of survival instincts...which admittedly does at times do a fairly respectable impersonation of intelligence :D

Cheers, Dave.

Didn't Dick Walker some it up by saying , find your fish first, find a bait they will feed on and present it in a manner that they find acceptable or similar? Location, bait , presentation.

Dear All,
I think we are under-estimating Barbel(or any fish) here, I know lots of clever people (degrees etc) who fish for them and blank on a regular basis (myself one of them-though would not put myself in the clever bracket!). The fish are not stupid as some people might think. Whilst I don't think they have intelligence/reasoning, I do think they can get very wary/cautious especially after they have been caught a few times in their lifetime-Darwin's theory of evolution does not apply as they are returned. Its part of the fun-if it was easy would we be doing it?

Keep smiling!

DT

as someone already said Wary yes!, they are also very finicky in their feeding
and water , weather conditions make em so inclined to be so.
all in all if theyre feeding and got their heads down they act like ravenous pigs at times but i wouldnt call em clever:)

Back