• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ā€˜Registerā€™ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

How are people getting on out there?

Jon Kennard

Being a north Devon barbel deprived Fisherman I'd live to hear your stories of what's been doing in on the rivers? Hopefully you've been catching and getting out there regardless šŸ‘

First ever session for me on the tidal Trent yesterday and drew a big fat blank. Was an amazing day though as I got to spend 24hours having a good laugh with my step dad and both sets of anglers either side of us were top blokes. Everyone was blanking it was so low and crystal clear. Crazy busy. Some big old pike sitting under our feet. Gonna give it some time to calm down and come up before going at it again but was good fun.

So
First ever session for me on the tidal Trent yesterday and drew a big fat blank. Was an amazing day though as I got to spend 24hours having a good laugh with my step dad and both sets of anglers either side of us were top blokes. Everyone was blanking it was so low and crystal clear. Crazy busy. Some big old pike sitting under our feet. Gonna give it some time to calm down and come up before going at it again but was good fun.
Sometimes the magic of the 16th can be spoiled by catching fish, its just so crass! šŸ˜‚

Caught a PB on the Yorkshire Derwent yesterday evening, not massive at 8.15, but pleased as punch none the less. Was a short evening that included a bream, two chub and the barbel. Happy with that šŸ‘
Nice one Rob, a PB is a PB however you look at it and 8-15 is not a small fish....itā€™s a cracker

Was all sorted for a day on the Trent with mates but last minute decision to postpone because of how busy it was saw me on my local Ouse. Unsurprisingly I blanked on the Ouse but just being there fishing moving water was like catching up with an old friend; a much needed but simple remedy in these troubled times

Had 5 chub between 3-5 lb, lost a whopper at the net. Missed a screamer about 2 in the morning, I was on the Ouse below Bromham bridge. Iā€™ve seen barbel in the places that I fished, it was rammed in the morning.

Very different story today
Short evening session on a different river
Boom...... 15,4. A good time to edit the new 2020/2021 avatar pic šŸ˜Ž
581D7ED4-BCDF-4BB8-B8A5-ACB60E0063B4.jpeg
0F34BDAE-1CF5-4478-98A7-1A986D49EB7C.jpeg

Blimey! Well done. I could only dream of such fish while blanking on the Ribble on opening night. Missed a bite at 2.40 was all the action I had, apart from hooking lots of weed clumps. Still, I really enjoyed just being out there. Hopefully will get one soon.

Blimey! Well done. I could only dream of such fish while blanking on the Ribble on opening night. Missed a bite at 2.40 was all the action I had, apart from hooking lots of weed clumps. Still, I really enjoyed just being out there. Hopefully will get one soon.
Fingers crossed.
The Ribble certainly has the potential to put out serious fish.
We need a good flush through to get these rivers started up properly. Hopefully come the weekend they will be carrying some extra water.

Good work Richard.

Looks bigger than 15!
We think it was Substantially bigger but thatā€™s another story as weā€™ve been getting some strange Readings from my scales this morning of up to 13oz light on heavy known weights. Not much I can do about it now but claim the 15,4 and bin the trusty old Avonā€™s ā˜¹ļø

Same man stood behind two fish held in a similar manner.
There is 1lb 13oz difference between these two fish.
Donā€™t get me wrong Iā€™m over chuffed with a 15,4 but If the truth be told I donā€™t know how heavy it really is as Iā€™m not trusting them Avonā€™s like I used to.
95DDF862-010A-4EC9-8DF9-E59653111760.jpeg
6962370A-D788-4D59-AF59-A4B6C1CF77F7.jpeg

Back