• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Highly waterproof jacket recommendations

I’ve given up on ex military gore-tex, had about 4, it always leaks at the neck and shoulders because its best years are already behind it, but like myself. Now going to buy new, with the berghaus cornice or Rab kangri gtx looking the most likely, both on offer if you look around.

If you don’t need a breathable then Vass smocks are the best I’ve had for keeping water out the heavier weight non breathable ones. I’ve had vertically every brand and type of breathable fabric in both fishing and my other passion mountaineering if they get enough prolonged rain rain on them any breathable fabric will wet out and leak.

I know this is a old thread but thought it worth mentioning the greys lightweight breathable wading jacket. I've had one for several years now and it's been brilliant. The jackets weigh very little and pack down to a small bundle.
They are thin and have no lining, just a highly waterproof jacket which is ideal for people like myself who prefer to layer clothing rather than wear a big chunky jacket. I take mine in my back sling and just get it out if it looks like rain.
Anyhow, Glasgow angling have them on offer for 54 ripps deliverd if anyones after a jacket of this type. I already have three in the camo colour and two different sizes, a smaller for summer and a size larger for layering up in winter. I like them so much I couldn't resist ordering the carbon/black colour just now.
Here's a youtube video about them....

Will you be getting any more in @AndyFrancis ?

P.S. please send me a PM if you do, i'd like 2 please, any colour, cheers. 👍

Last edited:
Just taken stock of the Fox Aquos Tri Layer, what a bit if kit!! Bagged for £65 off ebay, item number 175880889684 try code OFFER8 for discount

Will you be getting any more in @AndyFrancis ?

P.S. please send me a PM if you do, i'd like 2 please, any colour, cheers. 👍
I'd be interested in a couple more if you do Andy.

Just taken stock of the Fox Aquos Tri Layer, what a bit if kit!! Bagged for £65 off ebay, item number 175880889684 try code OFFER8 for discount
Hi Lee,
Would you say the sizes are accurate cos' I always struggle when buying jackets that I'm going to layer underneath 🙄
Cheers,

Steve

My Berghaus jacket had finally given up on the zip. So looking for new one. You might note I was ripped off by a spoof website offering North Face ...they took the money out of my bank today the crooks, they use a URL zhcartapps.com to form spoof websites and collect money though a HK based beerdeerusaa.com . Any hackers fill your boots 😏

I still continue to find review vids of tackle company waterproofs that still leave a lot to be desired. If an outdoor clothing company marketed a waterproof jacket at 10,000HH it would be considered very lightweight.

I've just come in after visiting the local go outdoors shop....what a ripp off shop that has become!

I looked tha their 200 to 300 quid lightweight waterproof jackets, not one of them was as good (imo) as the greys ones in the link I posted last night on offer at glasgow angling for 54 ripps posted to your door.

Last edited:
I've just come in after visiting the local go outdoors shop....what a ripp off shop that has become!

I looked tha their 200 to 300 quid lightweight waterproof jackets, not one of them was as good (imo) as the greys ones in the link I posted last night on offer at glasgow angling for 54 ripps posted to your door.
The Greys jacket doesn't even offer a rating for HH or breathability though, Ian.

My Berghaus jacket had finally given up on the zip. So looking for new one. You might note I was ripped off by a spoof website offering North Face ...they took the money out of my bank today the crooks, they use a URL zhcartapps.com to form spoof websites and collect money though a HK based beerdeerusaa.com . Any hackers fill your boots 😏
Hi Neil
I have a Berghaus cornice jacket in XXL(green ) that I brought about 10 years ago, only worn about a dozen times and now is too small!!!
I look after all my gear including waterproofs!
£75 Inc p&P
PM me if interested or anyone else who are interested.
Regards Wayne

Hi Neil
I have a Berghaus cornice jacket in XXL(green ) that I brought about 10 years ago, only worn about a dozen times and now is too small!!!
I look after all my gear including waterproofs!
£75 Inc p&P
PM me if interested or anyone else who are interested.
Regards Wayne
Also I have a brand new Never worn Diawa Jacket and Trousers in XXL - Diawa Wilderness which is waterproof and breathable £100 inc. p&P
PM me if you are interested
Regards Wayne

The Greys jacket doesn't even offer a rating for HH or breathability though, Ian.

Several years back when I bought one I found the ratings on fb.
I remember it was 20,000 waterproofness but I forget the breathability...I think it was good.
I know i've worn mine when walking a mile or more to a swim and haven't been sweaty and damp.

For me personally, the beauty of the greys jacket is if the rain stops, I just remove it, fold it up into a small bundle, put it into a small stuffsack and either hang it on the outside of my sling or put it into the sling. Also, it weighs very little.

Snugpak Torrent - bought one 18 months ago and I'm seriously impressed. I wear it daily, even days when I'm in the office and not out and about on farms, I make sure I do a 4m walk (rain or shine). Fair to say it's been put to the test this autumn and winter and its passed with flying colours..

I'm not bothered with fancy ratings in lab conditions or marketing waffle about breathability etc. All I can say is this jacket has kept me warm and dry in the wettest autumn and winter I can recall.

Would I buy another ? Well I already have as a spare.

I paid £135 for mine, bargain at twice the price.

Snugpak Torrent - bought one 18 months ago and I'm seriously impressed. I wear it daily, even days when I'm in the office and not out and about on farms, I make sure I do a 4m walk (rain or shine). Fair to say it's been put to the test this autumn and winter and its passed with flying colours..

I'm not bothered with fancy ratings in lab conditions or marketing waffle about breathability etc. All I can say is this jacket has kept me warm and dry in the wettest autumn and winter I can recall.

[URL u
Snugpack are top draw Qaulity products. Don't know if things have changed,but Snugpack for a long time have had a good relationship with the British Army.

Back