• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Highly waterproof jacket recommendations

Lee Hadaway

Senior Member & Supporter
Hi guys, after recommendations for a highly waterproof jacket. I'm not a shelter/brolly user, i will just sit or stand in the rain. It doesn't have to be insulated as i can always layer underneath. It doesn't have to even be a fishing brand.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Hi guys, after recommendations for a highly waterproof jacket. I'm not a shelter/brolly user, i will just sit or stand in the rain. It doesn't have to be insulated as i can always layer underneath. It doesn't have to even be a fishing brand.

Thanks in advance
Massive thread here

Massive thread here

Oh yes, Thank you Kevin

Thanks in advance
Hi Lee, yes I posted that thread in January this year and got 82 replies I think! There were some fantastic suggestions and as I had no idea whether to go "warm but rain proof" or "layered but rain proof" and various other options, I appreciated all the help. I finally decided on layering as we get torrential rain in the summer but warm winds from the south west. It was a good choice. I ended up with a Aqua F12 Torrent jacket (15,000 head) and it's unbelievably waterproof. It cost about £110 I think. It suits me as its waterproof and lightweight. Good luck in your search!

Hi Lee, yes I posted that thread in January this year and got 82 replies I think! There were some fantastic suggestions and as I had no idea whether to go "warm but rain proof" or "layered but rain proof" and various other options, I appreciated all the help. I finally decided on layering as we get torrential rain in the summer but warm winds from the south west. It was a good choice. I ended up with a Aqua F12 Torrent jacket (15,000 head) and it's unbelievably waterproof. It cost about £110 I think. It suits me as its waterproof and lightweight. Good luck in your search!
Hi Paul, My friend has the thermal version of that, think I'd go for the unlined for summer use, then add for winter.

All gortex or any other jacket will eventually fail on the shoulder and neck seams, due to constant pressure of carrying heavy gear on your shoulders.

For this very reason I always buy ex army DPM camo jackets from ebay, which are described as lightly used or new.

My last jacket cost £35 and does the job 👍🏼

All gortex or any other jacket will eventually fail on the shoulder and neck seams, due to constant pressure of carrying heavy gear on your shoulders.

For this very reason I always buy ex army DPM camo jackets from ebay, which are described as lightly used or new.

any links please Neil.

had a look on ebay, but can only find " used condition " not lightly used or new, thanks.

Last edited:
any links please Neil.

had a look on ebay, but can only find " used condition " not lightly used or new, thanks.
The sizing is odd e.g not M, L and XL, I’d had my previous jacket for a numbers of years, so just took a punt on a similar ebay jacket, in the same size and it was fine. On arrival it smelled a bit musty, so I washed in nikwax tech wash followed by nikwax reproofer and it keeps me dry 👍🏼

This link explains the sizing:

I was really lucky with first gortex jacket purchased, as a company called Thistle Garments did a big production run for the British Army and sold off the excess jackets and trousers dirt cheap. Looking back I should have bought several jackets and trousers!

I reached the same conclusion when I needed to replace my water proofs several years ago. At the time there was a glut of US issue Desert Storm Gore-tex on eBay. I bought one and it just keeps on going and certainly keeps me just as dry as my dog-walking Berghaus Cornice jacket. The large zip vents on the underside of the arms are a nice touch as they help to ventilate the jacket on warm rainy days.

Berghaus long cornice - brilliant, just bought a new one after 20 years use out of the previous one.

Back