• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

High Speed Rail Link

Mark Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi men ,

Frightning amount of money , but other than that does effect anyones fishing ?

32 billion pounds , better served elsewhere ?.

Hatter

Hi men ,

Hatter

Definately better served elsewhere, especially when they say its going to cost the average tax payer £1700 or there abouts:eek: Just upgrade the already there network, no need to keep up with the Jones:eek::eek::eek:

Definately better served elsewhere, especially when they say its going to cost the average tax payer £1700 or there abouts:eek: Just upgrade the already there network, no need to keep up with the Jones:eek::eek::eek:

Mere pointless employment project that the Ancient Egyptians knew all about with their building pyramids for the dead and a 20th Century economist, John Maynard Keynes, borrowed at another time of recession, mass unemployment and threatening social unrest.

For those who didn't do A-Level Economics (amongst others) - The General Theory of Employment, Interest and Money - John Maynard Keynes - Google Books

Too ruddy true. The wretched thing is going right through my area and is bound to cause no end of disruption, fishing wise and any way you care to mention.

The thing that really winds me up is that we are continuously being told we are on a knifes edge position financially, both nationally and internationally. We are told that we are within a hairs breadth of a potentially catastrophic double dip in our economy, that we must all tighten our belts, take our share of the inevitable hardships and pain that are to come without complaint. Already we have seen that cancer patients for instance are to be denied the medication they need to stay alive, because our beleaguered health trusts can no longer afford to supply them. Our care for the elderly system is in a state of near collapse...the list just goes on and on. To top it off, we are promised that worse is to come....quite possibly MUCH worse.

And yet....they can afford to spend billions on this, which many people in the know claim is unlikely to ever be of any great benefit, and is actually just an exercise in senseless window dressing. Not that it is the only mind bogglingly senseless waste of OUR money going on at the moment.

The people who agreed to this farce going ahead obviously acquired both their conscience and sense of moral values on a package deal in the local pound shop.

Cheers, Dave.

Nice one David i totally agree.....So many much more worthwhile projects that this huge amount of money could be used for....Totally unreal. I heard that DAVE HALLS place has to be demolished:eek:

nope, but quite near, the fight starts now.
it actually go's under my old house before i moved.

Hi men ,

Hatter
if you fish savy, korda, harefield,broadwater and troy in the colne valley it will.

Hi men,

I fished Savay and Harefield many years ago ( Savay being my fav water of all time ) , and it looks like the syndicate will have more features to cast at . What about the Colne ?, does it touch it much ?.

Hatter

How is it going to effect these colne valley lakes will there be bridges over them or will bits of them or all of them be filled in????? A big part of carp fishing history would be lost thats for sure....

Sorry about that Dave....Not something to be joked about, a lot of worry for a lot of households..:mad:

Hi men,

I fished Savay and Harefield many years ago ( Savay being my fav water of all time ) , and it looks like the syndicate will have more features to cast at . What about the Colne ?, does it touch it much ?.

Hatter
it crosses the canal and colne upstream of the golf club and savay farm, north harefield, apart from the noise and god knows what is going to drop in there from above.
this will affect harrow pit 2, maybe 3 and 4 and even the cons.

Last edited:
How is it going to effect these colne valley lakes will there be bridges over them or will bits of them or all of them be filled in????? A big part of carp fishing history would be lost thats for sure....
whos knows,the details are dodgy, i would think filled...:eek:

Hi men,

I had a pukka carp from pit 3 . It forght as hard as any fish iv ever caught . When we got it on the mat we found it had a third lobe to its tail , like a fantail . Is see proposals of the bridge taking the link over Savay and it cut across the canal bank / Alcatraz heading off towards Korda / Harefield lakes . Criminal , but history in angling will be last on the list . Let's stock OTTERS as soon as possible.

Hatter

Hi men ,

And Tiger bay ( north bay / maylin pads ) , where I had a couple of sessions . The pic shows a viaduct , but of corse the stauncions being constucted will have a catastophic effect on the lakes . I can see from that pic a couple of swims where I caught fish from , happy days , perhaps not for the future though.

Hatter

The need for this link is dubious in my opinion. Surely the government should be encouraging businesses to move out of London to other areas of the country. The injection of this amount could have been better used nationally for infrastructure projects in areas suffering far higher unemployment rates than the South, such as my own.
In these days of e-commerce and video conferencing why do we need this high speed link and is Birmingham really the second centre of commerce in England?

Hi men,

I had a pukka carp from pit 3 . It forght as hard as any fish iv ever caught . When we got it on the mat we found it had a third lobe to its tail , like a fantail . Is see proposals of the bridge taking the link over Savay and it cut across the canal bank / Alcatraz heading off towards Korda / Harefield lakes . Criminal , but history in angling will be last on the list . Let's stock OTTERS as soon as possible.

Hatter
i got a GXUDAS pit 3 specimen club ticket for nothing last year, not that i used it.

Back