• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hemp

Mike Thompson

Senior Member & Supporter
I have used hemp on still waters and canals for years, but never really tried it for barbel. I prepare my own using a slow cooker in the garage, so can produce large amounts if required. What I would like to know are your thoughts on when and how to use it on rivers. Do you suggest prebaiting for several days, just the evening before, or only introducing with a few bait samples just before fishing.
Thanks
Mike

What type of river - how wide, fast, deep etc etc and how would you be looking to introduce it?

I've had success using a bait dropper in a small Thames tributary an hour or so before fishing. I wouldn't personally use it solely for prebaiting, I'd add some pellets, boilies or actual food also.

Due to the cost I now use pigeon conditioner, all different particles and easier to prepare - might be worth a look?

Thanks Adam.
I mainly fish 3 Yorkshire rivers, the Nidd, Derwent and Ouse. These are small to medium rivers where one or two ounces will hold bottom in all but the heaviest flood conditions. They are also reasonably shallow, 3 to 6ft in most swims. So I could easily use a bait dropper or fish with a feeder. None hold large numbers of barbel and blanks are frequent. A good session would be to land a couple plus perhaps a chub.
Up to now I have generally gone for minimum feed and disturbance by using a small mesh pva bag with a few hook samples. Using a cast and wait approach.
Mike

Mike - I'd be tempted to introduce the hemp using a baitdropper, then sitting on the swim for a couple of hours at least.

If using a groundbait feeder, i will always add some hemp ( and pellets ) to the mix, as said above, a brilliant barbel attractant.

Mike, as you know we fish the same rivers. Derwent and Nidd I dropper plenty in on arrival and top up via feeder with freebie hookbait. On the Ouse and when casting to the channels it's all via big feeders.

It's a tough one to call, any species can get totally zoned in on hemp ignoring all other baits. The word was on the Severn if you didn't put in at least 8 pints before your session you will struggle, of course apart from whether or not that actually worked, the cost for many would just not be feasible. I believe in using copious amounts of hemp you are making a rod for your own back, especially in Rivers where there are not large shoals of Barbel just waiting to get on your feed.
I reckon your tactics you have been using seem spot on, and just use it as an additive.

Thanks everyone.
It is always good to get others points of view.
Regarding cost of hemp. I buy it from a pet food shop at £1.95 per kilo ( that is dry weight). This makes about 4 pints when prepared. So very economical. I soak for 24hours, then cook in a slow cooker on low heat for 3 hours then leave to cool. This gives a really good soft, open grain.
Mike

What type of river - how wide, fast, deep etc etc and how would you be looking to introduce it?

I've had success using a bait dropper in a small Thames tributary an hour or so before fishing. I wouldn't personally use it solely for prebaiting, I'd add some pellets, boilies or actual food also.

Due to the cost I now use pigeon conditioner, all different particles and easier to prepare - might be worth a look?
Adam out of interest how do you prepare pigeon conditioner? Thanks Jon

Hi Jon.
I soak it for about 36-48 hours and then bring it to the boil on the hob. I then put it in a cool box for 24+ hours until I need to use it. I normally have a few pints in the freezer if I don't have thea time to prepare.
There are also lots of different types with lots of different types of particle including hemp & tares. I haven't used hemp for a few years now - use the pigeon conditioner for my tench & barbel fishing.

Great thank you I'll see what's around when I go into town. I'm not going to need loads anyway just adding it to pellet and ground bait mix.

Thanks everyone.
It is always good to get others points of view.
Regarding cost of hemp. I buy it from a pet food shop at £1.95 per kilo ( that is dry weight). This makes about 4 pints when prepared. So very economical. I soak for 24hours, then cook in a slow cooker on low heat for 3 hours then leave to cool. This gives a really good soft, open grain.
Mike

If you have an understanding missus or a blender that you have spare then blitz the hemp in the liquid until it reaches a soup consistency....add it as your liquid to your groundbait. This method has been great for me for Dubs the last two seasons. I have started blending luncheon meat in it too.

Hemp is very instant. It seems the small fish go down on it very quickly, and that draws in the Barbel. I’ve only just started to use the slow cooker, and it’s so much better. The oil seems to be kept in more, and 90% of the seeds open, yes much better cooked slowly.
For Barbel trotting in my book, it’s essential as it lays a table keeping the fish around. It gets locked into all the stones and rocks giving off the leaked oils. With caster or maggots I’d take it to any river and feel optimistic of catching.

Rich.

Dead right about the slow cooker Rich, so easy.
When cool I strain the hemp and leave the liquid overnight. The hemp oil floats on top of the water and can be skimmed off to mix with groundbait.
Mike

Why cook it at all when it splits, all by itself, in 3 days... 4 days max?? Soak in a bucket, strain it, sorted. Use liquid as is in groundbait, or boil it down to the thicker glug etc liquer. A sack of hemp will keep for a couple of years or more, if kept dry.
I used some 10 years old, and it was fine!!

I remember one session on the Yorkshire Ouse when it was very low in summer. I moved swims and launched a baitdropper underarm into the middle of the river where the main flow was. 30 minutes later you could see a trail of bubbles right on the line I'd baited. My dad and I had 4 Barbel between us fishing lobworms over the top of that spot. (The swim was around 13 foot deep)

I remember one session on the Yorkshire Ouse when it was very low in summer. I moved swims and launched a baitdropper underarm into the middle of the river where the main flow was. 30 minutes later you could see a trail of bubbles right on the line I'd baited. My dad and I had 4 Barbel between us fishing lobworms over the top of that spot. (The swim was around 13 foot deep)
Lobs over hemp...when conditions are very low and crystal clear. Now that's a new approach/method to try! (and a goodun' by sounds of it :eek::p:eek:) It shows how little we know eh. If they're hungry and confident.....

Back