• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hemp my way.

Add some CSL
Such an edge, in my opinion - caught my pb Chub over a bed of CSL hemp, it really gets them going...

Second only (again, in my opinion) to grated belachan and a handful of crushed garlic cloves. You need vinyl gloves to handle it afterwards, mind. If you’re brave enough, leave it until it’s just thinking about starting to ferment - it becomes like crack for fish. Once it’s gone over the edge though, it’s vomit inducing...

I always add Bicarb, salt and flavours when still hot from slow cooker, but once I’ve got the desired split.

Cook it however it works for you, I suppose. I’m certainly going to try a longer soak before cooking after this thread.

I'm with Graham. Used to cook my hemp many years ago, but certainly in recent years it's been shelf life bought stuff that lived in the car during fishing season!

Decided to buy some from a local merchant two weeks ago, 25k for £40. Don't forget that 25k dry will make much more volume once cooked. Quick rinse, some in a pan, cover with boiling water from kettle. Add some bi carb, bring to boil and simmer for 50mins to an hour. Rinse off in cold, separate tubs and freeze.

My first batch of own cooked in many years has been perfect I have to say. Smell wasn't mentioned by her indoors, although she was aware of it. :D

What's all this about the other halve(s) not liking the smell of cooking hemp? Mine is the same but don't understand to me it smells of a session on the River and a lovely nuttiness.
All I do is put straight in the pot without soaking, simmer for about 20-30 minutes and leave to cool. And then chuck it all in the River...simples.:(

who else remembers when fishing clubs banned it as cheating as you were drugging the fish ? how things have changed in the 60s I was fishing Cut mill pond Farnham fishing free lined spud over a bed of hempseed when I guy came round and accused me of drugging the fish with hempseed and I was not a proper angler as I was using an electric bite indicator not using any skill (it was the new Heron bite alarm)

oh how things have changed eh
🤔 😂
ps mind you some people still have this weird stuck in a time warp attitude and not moving with the times but we are all different I suppose

When I was a member of North Harrow Waltonians circa 1973 the club had a full investigation on the use of hempseed carried out by the emminent fishery scientist Professor Franklin...

He concluded. As long as its cooked it was no problem to water environments.

Not much of a suorise really.

A great set of lakes from the Aquadrome, the BA water Stockers
LAA pit and the Colne nearby.

Fished them all. Superb tench waters, big bream and huge pike. The Colne known for 2lb roach.

Mark will know them all no doubt.

Last edited:
I love the smell of cooking hemp, unfortunately my wife does not. I soak mine for 24-36 hours and then boil it letting it simmer for 30 mins.

I cook it as soon as my wife leaves for work 6.45 and when she gets home at 4pm the first thing she says is you've been cooking hemp again.

Now, I was finished with the cooking by 8ish with all pans and utensils cleaned and put away, I open the front door and back door for a couple of hours to let any smell dissipate and she can still tell at 4pm, beats me how?

I love the smell of cooking hemp, unfortunately my wife does not. I soak mine for 24-36 hours and then boil it letting it simmer for 30 mins.

I cook it as soon as my wife leaves for work 6.45 and when she gets home at 4pm the first thing she says is you've been cooking hemp again.

Now, I was finished with the cooking by 8ish with all pans and utensils cleaned and put away, I open the front door and back door for a couple of hours to let any smell dissipate and she can still tell at 4pm, beats me how?
You've put the pans away in the wrong place!

Good post.
What’s everyone’s fav hemp flavours and additives ? Chillie ect. ? Asking for a friend 😂
I have found if I add chilli flakes and cook them in that I am not bothered by bream anywhere near as much as when I use plain

There are a couple of things I do to prepare hemp - none of them I can be certain make any difference to the fish, but by doing them it boosts my confidence that preparation is as good as possible.
The first is to use water from the water butt, not tap; then I add a few glugs of apple cider vinegar to the bucket when soaking, as well as hemp water from previous batch (which is frozen in old soup tubs).

There are a couple of things I do to prepare hemp - none of them I can be certain make any difference to the fish, but by doing them it boosts my confidence that preparation is as good as possible.
The first is to use water from the water butt, not tap; then I add a few glugs of apple cider vinegar to the bucket when soaking, as well as hemp water from previous batch (which is frozen in old soup tubs).
Why the apple cider vinegar?

If the missus objects to the smell of hemp cooking, get an electric pressure cooker (~£35). In your shed/garage 1/4 fill cooker with hemp, half fill with water, bring up to pressure, then leave it to cool for 24hrs. Sorted ... job done.
N.b.. also good for other particles e.g. pigeon conditioner (bostin gray pays)

Back