• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Headtorch ?

I do not see the need for a searchlight that illuminates the whole world, I have used and abused a small Petzle headtorch for the past 6 years, it uses three small aaa bateries , disposable ones as I dont want a torch that runs down without the ability to just replace the batteries as needed ( no electric plugs on the rivers I fish ) . It is waterproof, small, compact, has a red or white beam as needed for night vision ,and cost me about a tenner, I think the same or similar torch is about £20.00 now. The energiser mentioned above is another good idea , but rechargeable .

One thing in common with most headtorches these days is that they are small and do not weigh much , not much betwen them tbh. I would avoid any that look cheap, as they probably are made from inferior parts. A couple of years back there were horror stories of rechargeable torches bursting into flames when plugged in , they were cheap far eastern rubbish, probably still availabe on certain auction sites .

Dave

Last edited:
I’ve used a Chub SAT-A-LITE headtorch for years and they’re great. No fuss just a white/red LED and reliable.

I use a energizer advance pro comes with 3 batteries £9.99 on amazon free delivery 👍
it’s bright green so you can’t miss it in the bag👍
Got a red light mode very useful use this a fair bit👍

I'm interested in a new headtorch. ATM, I use an old Petzl Tikka XP and I don't find it's bright enough, so will be interested to follow this thread.

One thing I do struggle with is I wear varifocals and need to look through the bottom of my glasses to see close up. With a headtorch on when you look up to see through the bottom of your glasses, the HT goes up as well, and you're looking into darkness. It's a right pain, even with an adjustable HT.

I have a Fenix hl60r from my sea fishing days. It is rechargeable, waterproof, shock resistant, has lots of different brightness settings, you can check how much charge is left and the battery lasts for ages. It is lightweight even though it has a robust metal body. It also has a 5 year guarantee. A great headlight!

Petzel , small , well made , light ,get them online or at Go Outdoors , loads of different models , not the cheapest but the best IMO.

LENSER MH10 was recently reviewed on YouTube by a guy that goes by the name of Fishlocker. Its USB rechargeable, and comes with different coloured lenses, if thats a plus for anyone?
Apparently the company have excellent customer service too.

I brought a new Petzel Tikka recently, has LED bulb very bright, lightweight, seems a sturdier build than some of the others I've had over the years.

I have tried numerous headtorches over the years and now use the ridgemonkey rechargeable, brilliant and very robust: https://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/rid...HUXMQhfOeqADYtjLRmQC6KJ3ktCHtEIhoCitwQAvD_BwE
I’ve got one and it’s a great torch. I went for the 150 but I wish they’d do a really low light setting and make it less bulky.
most of my head torch work is right at the bank side of small clear rivers threading baits on etc and I only want a couple of lummens to do that. The RM lowest setting is too bright for me.

Back