• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Have you ever forgotten ..........

Bank stick is the one iv forgotten most. A quick rummage in the bushes for a stick with a v shape does the trick. Not quite the same but a lad I know went to France fishing and when he got there he found out his rods had snapped in transit

I caught an unexpected large brown trout while chub fishing on the tiny river Blythe not far from my home. By far a p.b. so I decided to weigh it......no scales could be found so I racked my brains as to when I had used them last. That would have been three weeks previously on the Warwickshire Avon, since then the Autumn floods had pushed the river over the banks a couple of times, not much chance of finding them then I reckoned. Another week or so later the Avon was back within its banks so I decided to try some Autumn Barbeling and could not resist visiting my previous peg where I must have left my Avon scales. The area was a morass of mud and debris but I poked around with my wellies until I struck something solid.....yes it was my Avons but what a mess. I took them home and cleaned them until they sparkled, they looked as good as new and 15 years later I still have........they are still accurate as my recording of my p.b. Chub of 18lbs and 10lb Roach verify.
Most of this story is accurate......I will let you judge which parts
Regards,
G.T.

I’ve left my landing net in the car on more than one occasion and had a route march to and fro before I could fish...also packed up on the Kennet one evening and left my net on the roof of the car. Got about a mile down the road and it took off and was run over by the car behind, it was never quite the same after that !!

In my teens I woke one morning at 3:00 for some tench fishing. Strapped all my rods and net handles to the bike, threw my Shakespeare seat box on my back and pedalled to the lake. Got there and realized I had forgotten my reel. Long ride home and back again and missed the dawn hour.
Forgot my landing net handle on Drayton reservoir one night and had to use a bank stick instead, caused me to fall in after climbing down the dam wall to reach a nice tench.
Turned up at Throop one day in winter with no bait, quick trip to Bournemouth tackle lodge while the bailiff watched my gear. Another day I got to Throop with no landing net and the fishery manager loaned me his.
Probably shouldn’t be allowed out on my own.

Left my Fox adjustable chair on the Lower Severn, only to be reunited briefly with a Polish guy sitting on it some months later, I couldn't let on it was mine, at least it was being used as intended.

Hi Guys, obviously I am sharp as a tack and never forget anything......but.....many years ago I used to fish a lot of club matches on various rivers. One particular weekend it was my turn to 'peg out 'on the Sunday. Needless to say I overslept on the Sunday morning after a particularly 'heavy ' Saturday night. Nursing a gargantuan hangover I threw my kit in the car and drove like a maniac to the venue and was there with 30 minutes to spare before the 'all in'. Counting my lucky stars that I was the first there I staggered along the bank ( still hung over ) and threw the wooden numbered pegs into any likely ( or unlikely ) swims. I got my kit out of the car and took a couple of Paracetamols, I could relax now as nobody would know I nearly didn't make it at all. It was now about time at least somebody should have arrived, I started to feel a little uncomfortable, where were the pillocks? I was just draining my second cup of coffee and was feeling almost human when I noticed a scrap of paper in my car with the competition details on it. Hmmm I thought let's just check the time again.......Bloody helI I was not only at the wrong venue, I was at the wrong river!!!!!!! My excuse of a puncture was treated with suspicion when I finally arrived at the correct location. The lads had pegged the venue using scraps of paper with the numbers written on...... funnily enough I was asked to provide this service again, there's gratitude for you,
Regards,
G.T.

First time I ever Fished the Colne I found I had a few reel spools for my Mitchell 300s but no bodies to put them on.
Wasn't unduly phased by this as I'd done a fair bit of fly fishing previously so put a spool in my pocket and handlined as per fly-fishing.
Had a good few decent sized Chub and Roach.

I went to France for a 14 day carping session was on my own I took everything and the kitchen sink or so I thought ! I arrived at the lake only to realise I had left my bivvy at home !! nearest tackle shop was an hours drive when I got their the only shelter I could afford was an open fronted Fox Evolution 1st week was ok 2nd week nightmare rain and storms thankfully I had a lightweight army basha I rigged a porch to stop my bed getting wet

First time I ever Fished the Colne I found I had a few reel spools for my Mitchell 300s but no bodies to put them on.
Wasn't unduly phased by this as I'd done a fair bit of fly fishing previously so put a spool in my pocket and handlined as per fly-fishing.
Had a good few decent sized Chub and Roach.
Genius. I remember years ago I went carp fishing to test out the first ever boilies I’d made. I was only fishing the margins so just had my rod resting on the floor. I couldn’t remember if I’d loosened my clutch up instead of using the bait runner so I gave a few more clicks to loosen it just in case. I was sat there in a bit of a day dream when I suddenly saw the rod tip bend round and in the panic I just grabbed the rod and struck hard and the line just came flying off the reel as I started reeling and it gave me the worlds worst birds nest round my reel. I ended up having to play that like I was fly fishing pulling the line in by hand. The fish went on one run that took all but the last foot of available line before I stopped it. Ended up landing a good 18lb fish which at the time was about the 5th biggest fish I’d ever caught. Was really chuffed with myself and still one of my most memorable fish

Got all set up for a night session, just put the landing net together , what no net , had to bundle everything back in the car and borrow a mates about 2 hours later returned to swim , err hum !

Back