• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Have you enjoyed the closed season ?

Paul Boyle

Hi all
Firstly let me say ..have a great 10/11on the rivers,and stay safe lads and lasses .

I was just wondering if you all enjoyed the closed season..
It seems sometimes that a lot get stuck in the closed season rut,if the coming river season for me has been as enjoyable as the closed then ill be content and grateful .

be happy

paul:)

It seems to have passed pretty quickly for me, a little decorating, cleaning up the tackle bait making ( have plenty of boilies in the freezer) Now counting down to opening day, cant wait:)

Pretty much same here. Good brain storming, a few reccy's, still working on the garden, general work all round. Good to take a break knowing that even when the weather good I can focus on matters on hand rather than thinking I should be fishing.

Cheers, Jon

Its gone very quickly for me this year, I think a week in Spain and trips to my Carp syndicate have helped. Its only now that June approaches that iv started to think about the coming season.

Well like many i've been doing a bit on stillwaters, but it aint the same :(
By the time we get to this point i'm chomping at the bit, it almost occupies my every waking thought, but the agony is sweet :p
Long may the close season continue :D

I never enjoy the close season but i still enjoy fishing still waters in the close season but its not the same i just love running water stalking and roving on a river you cant beat it roll on the 16th

Yes, following on from my best ever barbel season I've enjoyed a very productive close season. Tench, in particular, have been far more obliging than they were last year, but have had some good fun with perch, rudd and roach too.

Given current river levels I'll more than likely restrict myself to a trip on June 16th then go back to tench for another month or two, or until it rains and gets the levels up.

Strangely, I'm not as excited about the new season as I normally am. But then as I'm just starting to get into my fly fishing on rivers, all the best 'beats' will be taken up by pesky barbel anglers!:mad:

Enjoyed every minute of it!
As much as im loving barbel fishing(4th season coming up), fishing's fishing to me, just to be by the water, i cant get enough of it.
Leaving the river in march and returning in may for a bit of fly fishing and fish spotting, to find its come alive with new greenery and all its animals and creatures; going about their springtime business, is magical.
I love the close season!

:D:D:D me to..

Paul

The close season gone fast for me .I done a lot of fishing during the close season and wont be on the rivers from the off this year

Personally for me its gone quite quick, after sneaking one out of the Ouse on the last morning of last season i have since been doing the odd shortish sessions on my local water hole chasing roach,perch and tench and tbh have enjoyed the multi species side of it.
Although if i'm honest, I am looking forward to walking the fields and following running water again wether it be after barbs,chub or perch.
Lets hope the weather is nice to us this coming season.

Good luck to all with what ever you decide to chase.

I have been busy decorating, and fishing local stillwaters, but i do prefer being on the river bank.I know many anglers don't agree with the closed season on rivers, but at least the bankside plants and flowers have a chance to thrive and recover. Thats what i love about early season fishing, it does feel like a wild environment, and its a real pleasure to just sit there and take in everything around you, even when the fish aren't feeding. I try to make as little disturbance to the bankside vegetation as possible. But unfortunately some anglers feel the need to flatten everything in and around their swim :mad:

Dave

Yes. The worst of criminals, far worse than the Mug Pre-Baiters, are the Diggers, All-round Homemakers and Slashers and Burners.

"Machete, please - for the self-professed 'Anglers', not for the undergrowth..."

I have been out trying my luck with the king carp, to no avail, but it does not compare to being beside the running waters of my favourite river/s.

I have had a wander along a couple of them recently and i itch to be there with a line out and a bait in the water. As much as i agree with the closed season it lasts far to long:p:p:p:p

Roll on the 16th.

Last edited by a moderator:
You obviously don't fish the Lower Thames........:D.If last seasons anything to go by.Glad you're excited about your coming season,hopefully it's contagious.In the mean time will carry on targetting tench and crucians.
Tight lines to all.

Pete.

Back