• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Has anyone been fishing?

Hi Steve

I should be doing some river carping but not till May

Best Regards
Dave

Is that after you have changed the statutory closed season on rivers?

After spending this winter too busy to get much fishing done apart from a couple of trips targeting Yorkshire grayling and one day out after pike, I finally managed to get three shortish days out on the Wensum after chub over the past week. I had 4 over 4 lb on Wednesday, including fish of 6.1 and 5.3. On Friday I dusted off two pike rods and used up the deadbaits in my freezer. The pike were hungry and made short work of my 17 deadbaits so I was back home by midday. Unfortunately the biggest fish would have struggled to make 12 lbs. On Sunday I took an old friend out as a guest and guided him for the day. His pb chub was a 2 lb fish from the Rodin caught over 30 years ago. His three best are now 4.14. 5.8 and 5.14 so that was a job well done. Yesterday I took him out again but also took a rod myself. Unfortunately he blanked while I managed to winkle out a couple of 4 pounders. Nevertheless he drove off back to Cambridge a happy man with a basic appreciation of chub fishing.

Chris

I think the closed season is a good idea personally, I have no reason to change it

Best Regards
Dave

Dave, sorry but I can't reconcile in my mind how you can go river carping in May unless you abolish or ignore the closed season. I'm not having a go, mate. I just haven't got my head around what you're saying... but mine was only a throw away comment anyway.

Cheers, C.

Expect you heard about Steve? Apparently the local postie is delivering his mail at his swim:)

He had a shed full:eek:

Yep - Loads of mail - EA Rod licence reminder, National Census, Birthday cards (10th ;)) etc etc ...........................

Must get a PO Box sorted :D

Dave resides out in Canada Chris....... so its not an issue.

Steve

{Hi Dr D:)}

That will teach me for thinking parochially, although the thought that he may not been fishing in the UK did eventually occur to me. :rolleyes:

shouldn't be a issue here either.:D

Nope! One guy piking on the Thames at medley today, when I told him the season finished yesterday he just said "no, today" and shook his head and shrugged when I pressed the point so hopefully the EA will bother to pay him a visit after I so kindly rang them...

As for fishing, had a brace of 4 pound chub last night to see off the season, good riddance to it now I can go and do some tenching, proper fishing at last :D

Glad I managed to get out yesterday - so peaceful & managed a few barbs (bream free too!) as a toast to a good nomadic season

The Chairman on Tuesday

I predicted this in my "Hamster Diary" only yesterday:

The Chairman at Season's End [14-3-11]

Plus, of course, something I am determined to see on a barbel river tomorrow the 15th or very soon afterwards, then splash it in the Dangling Crimes with much foaming, gnashing and impotent ill-feeling, namely:

3) East European Otter (clearly EE as it couldn't speak English), complete with shifty foreign look, fish knife and fired-up disposable barbecue, floatfishing with the lightest of light tackle and, b' me, catching. B'stard! End the Close Season this minute and bring back hunting and hanging!

As ever,

B.B.

What can One do, except go "Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr"?

As ever again,

B.B.

Was going to have a late last night of the season - but after catching a few Wye Barbel, had a beautiful, golden fin perfect 10lb plus fish, looked at it, burned it into the failing memory cells and packed up with a smile a 7pm.

Graham

Nope! One guy piking on the Thames at medley today, when I told him the season finished yesterday he just said "no, today" and shook his head and shrugged when I pressed the point so hopefully the EA will bother to pay him a visit after I so kindly rang them...

As for fishing, had a brace of 4 pound chub last night to see off the season, good riddance to it now I can go and do some tenching, proper fishing at last :D

It was probably the same bloke (he was English, Mr Boote) that I saw last night whilst fishing at Osney Mead. When I made some passing comment about making the most of the last few hours, he said "what do you mean? We've still got all day tomorrow". I tried to put him right, but he wasn't having it. In the end I just turned around, carried on fishing and let him get on with it. Plonker. :rolleyes:

It was probably the same bloke (he was English, Mr Boote) that I saw last night whilst fishing at Osney Mead. When I made some passing comment about making the most of the last few hours, he said "what do you mean? We've still got all day tomorrow". I tried to put him right, but he wasn't having it. In the end I just turned around, carried on fishing and let him get on with it. Plonker. :rolleyes:

Probably was the same guy. Blue jacket, cheap camping chair, one rod and two landing nets. He didn't want to hear he was wrong and I didnt fancy making him too angry....

Anyway you have anything Stu mate?

Yeah, sounds like the same bloke. Idiot.

A couple of average perch and chub, nothing to write home about. In fact it's been a decidedly average winter for me - a couple of 6lb chub are probably the only things worth noting. Very poor.

Your big chub looks like a cracker mate. Great stuff.

Think I will target some still water perch over the next few weeks before starting to turn my attention to the tincas and snotties. May even do a few sessions at that stupid pit outside Oxford! :D

An overnighter last chance of an 8lb chub on Saturday night.
The Kingfishers flew by before dusk, then the first bats of Spring emerged, the Harvest Mouse scavenged around the area as usual and at 9pm I thought I'd done it.
Felt heavy enough and then, a 10lb bream surfaced.
Followed by smaller ones on the hour.... and again......and again..........plus some non-mozzy insect bites to the flesh..........:eek:

I don't know how anyone else feels, but I'm always a bit glad to still have a target to look forward to for the next Winter, since I haven't a clue what I'd do with the evenings if I finally get it?

Back