• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Harrison Chimera No1?

Darren C Smith

Afternoon folks. Does anyone have any experience of the Harrison Chimera No1? I've been offered one at a reasonable price but can't seem to find much about them online. Looking for a nice summer smallish river barbel/chub rod. Will this do the job?
Kind regards.

Yep
Absolutely beautiful rods.
I had a peregrine GTx 1lb 8oz AKA chimera n1
The action is extremely through action that just never locks up. I sold it once I stopped fishing the ivel and started using the shorter Torrix which suited my roaming better. but it was my no 1 go to rod for the ivel. Had barbel to 15,3 on it and despite the very through action it has plenty of power too.
mine was a special build with spliced quiver sections too for winter chubbing. Lines of 6-12 being perfect for it.
AE835612-4831-4C0F-99B6-C32B03AA5F01.jpeg
01DBF1BB-D3B8-47F6-A974-83AF081105CD.jpeg
A8182E6D-8950-4E06-A14C-F21D653D1EBB.jpeg

Last edited:
Plenty of reserve power when needed but not what I would call a through actioned rod, more a progressive one. I personally don’t like through action rods as they feel sloppy in the hand to me.

I would describe the my Chimera 2 as having a progressive / compound taper action. My Chimera 3’s have more action in the butt section, and I would say is closer to being a through actioned Rod.

My impressions of the Chimera 1 was it was more of a progressive / compound-taper action than all-through.

Can't praise highly enough 1.75 11' Torrix. This rod is the ideal all rounder, with a bit extra when you need it too.
Is that the one you managed to acquire for an absolute bargain Neil. 😎
yeah I quite agree they are nice. Very different to the chimera 1 mind.

I would describe the my Chimera 2 as having a progressive / compound taper action. My Chimera 3’s have more action in the butt section, and I would say is closer to being a through actioned Rod.

My impressions of the Chimera 1 was it was more of a progressive / compound-taper action than all-through.
I must of had a Micky mouse one then joe 🤣
Honestly I wouldn’t know how else to describe it as this thing would bend forever and right through.
every mm even the bleeding cork was in on the action when those big barbel were pulling back.

I must of had a Micky mouse one then joe 🤣
Honestly I wouldn’t know how else to describe it as this thing would bend forever and right through.
every mm even the bleeding cork was in on the action when those big barbel were pulling back.

Haha, I’m sure you didn’t Richard.

I would say that with a progressive-actioned rod, the rod bends relatively easily up to the joint/ middle but then needs a lot more pressure to make it bend to the butt. But an all through actioned rod bends immediately all the way to the butt. That’s my simplistic understanding anyway!

Haha, I’m sure you didn’t Richard.

I would say that with a progressive-actioned rod, the rod bends relatively easily up to the joint/ middle but then needs a lot more pressure to make it bend to the butt. But an all through actioned rod bends immediately all the way to the butt. That’s my simplistic understanding anyway!
That’s exactly how I understand it too joe.
id Definitely describe the torrix as a semi through and progressive action rod
I’d personally say the peregrine GTX 1.5 is a full through actioned rod.
I found the only thing that was progressive was how much the whole thing would bend.
every thing I hit on it put a complete arc in the rod, it didn’t feed tapered to me at all in the 7 years I owned it.

That’s exactly how I understand it too joe.
id Definitely describe the torrix as a semi through and progressive action rod
I’d personally say the peregrine GTX 1.5 is a full through actioned rod.
I found the only thing that was progressive was how much the whole thing would bend.
every thing I hit on it put a complete arc in the rod, it didn’t feed tapered to me at all in the 7 years I owned it.
I'd have thought most 1.5tc rods would look/feel like through action rods when they're attached to an angry 15lb barbel ...the tip ring would be saying "Hi" to the reel seat 🤣 :eek:🤣:eek:

Is that the one you managed to acquire for an absolute bargain Neil. 😎
yeah I quite agree they are nice. Very different to the chimera 1 mind.
Yep £60...Gumtree, never will be repeated I reckon. I guess the difference is that the Torrix is more progressive, I am not in a habit of catching loads of 15's but the two I have, the last one was on this rod and I never felt under gunned. Certainly these older blanks are something I enjoy, I consign (like most) these rods to the back of the Garage, and then have an urge to give them a wobble, and the memories come flooding back of battles won, and sometimes lost, currently I am thinking of giving my old Wychwoods an airing again, the Rapier especially.
You might remember the Extremis range, I have a rare 1.5 t.c rod that has a brilliant action that I had fun on the Teme and Arrow with, (like the Ivel now a shadow of their former selves) Some rods I would never use again, like the old Hyperloop, my first proper Barbel rod, and the Rogues, although great for newcomers.

I'd have thought most 1.5tc rods would look/feel like through action rods when they're attached to an angry 15lb barbel ...the tip ring would be saying "Hi" to the reel seat 🤣 :eek:🤣:eek:
Yeah it does literally do that. its actually worse with a lean flighty 11lb fish as I’ve found they bolt a bit more than the fatter ones.
it wasn’t that long ago barbel rods were 1lb - 1 1/4 and anything over was a carp rod.
the chimera was an awesome netting rod. You knew you were safe with a tightened clutch as the rod took out those surprise net lunges like a rubber band.

Yeah the chimera 1 will bend right the way to the corks with a good barbel on, so does my chimera 2 and torrix, but it’s how it bends that defines the action. I usually identify through actioned rods by giving them a waggle. If you get a snaking Action all the way through, it’s a through action, and like I said, feels sloppy to me.

Back