• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Handmade Floats

Yeh but for gods sake don't tell him.

PMSL:D:D Nearly spat my coffee over my laptop after reading this!

The sad thing is it is only a float... He must be doing it as a labour of love;)
They are works of art no matter how long it takes him to make.

On what type of water would a jointed float be used?

Last edited:
PMSL:D:D Nearly spat my coffee over my laptop after reading this!

The sad thing is it is only a float... He must be doing it as a labour of love;)
They are works of art no matter how long it takes him to make.

The main arena at this weekends Glastonbury :p:p

its a still water float ,aparently very good for tench & perch etc

DSC00262.jpg

these ones ,i made too someones description ,the top half lays flat on the surface ,the bottom half submerged ,when theres a bite the top pops up then sinks ,other designs both parts are submerged with just a tip showing and good for suspending live baits (minnows etc) or worms allowing more free movement .plus on the strike the float folds flat .

the ones above are single jointed ,eye to eye .some are double jointed with a connecting ring between the two eyes ,i supose any combinations are possible .

its a still water float ,aparently very good for tench & perch etc

DSC00262.jpg

these ones ,i made too someones description ,the top half lays flat on the surface ,the bottom half submerged ,when theres a bite the top pops up then sinks ,other designs both parts are submerged with just a tip showing and good for suspending live baits (minnows etc) or worms allowing more free movement .plus on the strike the float folds flat .

the ones above are single jointed ,eye to eye .some are double jointed with a connecting ring between the two eyes ,i supose any combinations are possible .

Thanks..... Very interesting

Here are my efforts with a few crow quills picked up while dog walking.
15062011047.jpg

:)

Hi Guys,

I know Davis Tackle (01202 485169) are selling some beautiful porcupine quills and Avons for a fiver with all proceeds going to the roach club. I treated myself to a couple of the Avons last week. They would look great in a case. Better on the end of my line though!

Regards,

Jeff

An email I received after an inquiry in December.
Hi Clive

I generally charge £7.50 each for my floats, some of the more intricate ones & rare feather varieties are more expensive but £7 to £8.50 is a good guide.

Let me know if you would like any & il start them straight away for you.

Cheers

Andy

I forwarded the link to my Uncle yesterday, he this morning placed an order for a couple.

The Grayling Bob was £7.50.
The Split Porcupine was................. £20 ! :D

He says he is definately packing his waders when he uses them.

About to place to place an order myself. It appears I have expensive taste! I managed to pick the more expensive ones! They look the nuts though and the workmanship is the best I've ever seen. Along with that Andrew is a nice guy and he's has a fairly long lead time so he's obviously doing something right.

Back