• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Handmade Floats

Andreas Opitz

A while back I saw a boxed gift set of handmade river floats that looked the nuts and I can't remember if I saw it on here or not? I want to buy it for someone as a present but I can seem to find it again...any advice would be much appreciated? Thanks...

was it these
DSC00226.jpg

DSC00225.jpg

or these cormorant quill set

DSC00223-1.jpg

if not ,they wasn't any of mine .

Hi Steven,

I don't think they are the ones I saw originally however they look like the sort of thing I'm looking for. Will send a PM shortly.

Bling Bling

I must admit every time I look through this guys work I cannot help but be dumbfounded wow.
blingbling.jpg

Cheers Clive, that's the one I was looking for! Just spoke to Andrew and seems a nice guy. Only problem now is which ones to get. They're all pretty special...

I know what you mean Clive. I've seen some very nice handmades before but this guy's are that bit extra special. Real craftmanship and detail. I'd love to get a collection but I'm too afraid to ask the prices !!!

I know what you mean Clive. I've seen some very nice handmades before but this guy's are that bit extra special. Real craftmanship and detail. I'd love to get a collection but I'm too afraid to ask the prices !!!

That was going to be my question................... how much ?

An email I received after an inquiry in December.
Hi Clive

I generally charge £7.50 each for my floats, some of the more intricate ones & rare feather varieties are more expensive but £7 to £8.50 is a good guide.

Let me know if you would like any & il start them straight away for you.

Cheers

Andy

Very reasonable not so sure about chucking it up a tree though.

Andy fields floats are very pretty things ,a lot of time and effort goes into them so the cost is inmaterial ,great for collecting and looking at ,but you'd hate too loose one whilst out trotting on the trent or seven etc .

They really are almost too good to use..... If I did get one (or more;)) I would use it on easy swims and pray I would not strike into anything that might snap me up just in case:p

Cannot wait till I see these when Andreas gets them!

wow, love them floats, would definately be too scared to use them though!!! Not that I ever lose floats, but you just know you would at £7 a pop!!!

I think they're a bargain!

He's obviously doing it for the love, as at that price he must be on £2 an hour!

I'm going to treat myself to one or two for my tenching...

Agreed - When you look at the price of hooks, korda gear, controllers etc they are a bargain - especially when one takes out the business overheads.

Quality stuff!

I think they're a bargain!

He's obviously doing it for the love, as at that price he must be on £2 an hour!

I'm going to treat myself to one or two for my tenching...

more like 20P a hour ,what with making the bodies, sealing and sanding then the whipping ,the inlaying of feathers etc and coats of paint + drying times then 10-20 or so coats of high gloss laquer / varnish with intervening drying times . There must be at least 10-14 days work .such quality takes time

I know from my own floatmaking whats involved and i don't usually go in for the extra decoration and it could still take a week ,i like too keep my floats simple and usable after all floats are for fishing with ,loose one and its a shrug of the sholders and you get another .loose one of andy fields floats and your a broken man crying like a baby in the foetal position ,its not the expense its the artistry thats in them .the only time i usually "pimp my floats" is one offs because thats what someone wants or box sets for charity etc .

Back