• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hair stops for meat?

Cocktail stick...

Push hook through meat, turn 90 degrees, put bit of cocktail stick in bend of hook, pull back up just into meat.

The spag thing sounds good though... might switch to that!

Last edited by a moderator:
im with ian, attatch the hook length to a snap swivel, just undo it to rebait, push your needle through the meat, pick up the loop & pull that through the meat & re attatch. this way your not 'splitting' the meat by pushing the hook through.
i like to use a little grass stem, as i think it bends easier on the 'strike' to pull the hook through the meat easier, it also keeps the minnows from pulling at the spagetti

get some hot melt glue stix, slice em thinly slip a needle thru one then the meat, pull the hair thru then finish off with a boilie dumbell stop, if you use this and a piece of thin rig tube on the length of your hair the meat will withstand a lot of casting and you can feel confident that the meat will be on the hair even after an hour or more, the thin rig tube stops the hair line from cutting thru the meat:)

I use the tubing on the hair , stopped with any handy thin twig etc, cut to lenght with scissors, using bacon grill or similar tough meats, it will stand a big cast with a heavy lead.
peter

I found leaving it in the tin and drilling the tin and hair rigging the lot works well

S

i use large fox pellet pegs, but first i put a maver soft silicone float stop on the hair to push up and lock the meat in place,first started doing this with pre drilled pellets.

'Stay-put hair riggers' , large size. These are little coils of wire with a loop on the end. Tie one onto the line before then forming a knotless knot . They work perfectly.

before i start to fish i select several strong stalks of grass and use them to hold meat.they are good to trim when mounted.in saying this i no longer cast to the horizon .no need to.
albert

Rawlplugs work for me. Available in various sizes and secured onto the hair by wrapping the line around the plug a few times then placing a silicone float rubber over the wrapping.

I had three 3lb+ chub on one piece of Spam and still caught a barbel afterwards.

Personally I cut the chunk of meat in half and superglue it back together with the hair in the middle (same as I do for boilies or 2 x elips pellets) I prefer to do this as it's easier to be accurate with distance between the bend of the hook and the bait.

Not saying this is the right way (I'm by no means an expert) but it works for me

Well done Gareth, the same as me, cut the meat in half and a dab of superglue does the job, one tip is to only put glue on one side and not too much otherwise you have a blob of glue when you need to re-bait, gone are the days of fiddling with bits of plastic and other amazing inventions, also when you tie a hair it only needs to be a single strand.
For those of you that are fed up with the hole clogging in the bottle, then use a glue that has got a brush attached, the best one for this is sold in Wilkinsons, and to top up the bottle if you use a lot, buy the cheap runny stuff from the Pound shop or the 99p shop, only buy the ones in the plastic container and not the tubes.
So to sum up, any bait that can be cut in half can be glued, and it's very cheap.
good luck.
Brian.

Hair stops? Shove a size 2 through a proper size lump of meat, make sure the point is showing and then shove a stalk of grass above the bend. And keep your meat moving.

Problem solved. :)

Back