• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hair stops for meat?

Wine corks!
Cut them into thin discs, cut into them half way and attach to hair or pull hair through and use a pellet stop.

As Haydn says....... "Spaghetti" you can snap it to exactly the size you want to match the lump of meat, a packet will last you a lifetime !
Dave

Grass stalk or spag. If you need to chuck it a fair distance try the Enterprise meat mates which I find excellent in use and very rarely see my meat flying in a different direction to the rest of the rig.

Reason I suggest the little discs between meat and actual stop is it gets round Chub pulling the meat off the hair....useful for those sessions where you have lots of little or not so little knocks before you find no meat left on!

or just bury a big hook in it. Not convinced hair rigging a 'big' piece of meat has any advantage.

Elastic band just cut it off and pull it through will never come off
(tried and tested on very fast flowing weir pools)

i push a baiting needle through the top of a rawlplug and then tie it on a hair.. you can then push this into a big lump of meat... works very very well...
looks very odd when you net a fish and a nice blue or red rawlplug is hanging out of it's mouth but it works.. that's the main thing...

I have to agree with the "Straight on the Hook" brigade here. I am fishing meat in very, very weedy water and hair rigging will almost always leave the hook caught up in weed. I tie my hooklength with a figure of eight loop and attach it via a quick release swivel. I then, using a baiting needle, pull the hooklength through the meat, allowing the hook to just pull into the end of it. For added precaution I generally put a fox pellet peg under the bend of the hook.

Back