• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hair Rigs.

Dave & Stephen,

Sorry guys, i must be going blind, just didnt see it. Actually, i think it's more to do with the couple of glasses of vino i had last night. :eek:

I will shove a pic up of the rig when i get a chance because it is quite useful to those who might not have used it.:)

all the best

Paul

Another vote for the Korum 'v' shape stops. And with fluoro, it's worth taking the time to get the loop as small as possible, albeit difficult.

Sliding noose
Start by tying a grinner knot on your hook link material, insert a pellet of the size you are going to use in the loop created, and tighten the loop to the pellet. Then using the knotless knot tie the hook to what ever hair length you require. When you want to change baits just get your thumb nail behind the knot of the loop and open it up, remove pellet, insert new one, and tighten up loop again. It works on braid, mono, fluro, and holds them tight. This also works well with boilies.
Not my idea, but a tip I picked up from "Southern Angler" (now defunked) a few years ago.

All the best
Colin

Double large elips glued together - pellet band on hair. Same rig with float stop for drilled 15 to 20mm drilled pellets. Pull band through.
Single large/medium elips - Lassoo (sliding noose) very effective.

Only problem I have had is with glued pellets on the bank sometimes coming apart. All glued at home now night before.

One thought I have had recently, does the superglue leave any off putting scent in the water? I have only been using glued elips this season so cannot comment on my own catch rates, but would like to know what others think.

Colin hit the nail on the head, the sliding noose is perfect. The pellet isn`t drilled so doesn`t take on water so quickly, no fiddly stops or hair loops to negotiate. I just stick the nose of my forceps into the noose, open them to expand the noose, slide the pellet in and cinch it up, simples!

I was given this tip by a match angler at White Acres in Cornwall ( what a hell hole that is! ) and have used it since to great effect.

Mic

Double large elips glued together - pellet band on hair. Same rig with float stop for drilled 15 to 20mm drilled pellets. Pull band through.
Single large/medium elips - Lassoo (sliding noose) very effective.

Only problem I have had is with glued pellets on the bank sometimes coming apart. All glued at home now night before.

One thought I have had recently, does the superglue leave any off putting scent in the water? I have only been using glued elips this season so cannot comment on my own catch rates, but would like to know what others think.

Hi Kevin,

That was a question that came up many times during my carp fishing years, and all I can say is that super glue was used extensively on carp rigs, quite apart from glueing the bait to the hair/hook, and appeared to have no off-putting effect at all.

It is an obviously worrying point, because we are told that fish have these amazing smell/taste receptors...and super glue does pong a bit, even to our less sensitive noses. However, it does not seem to be distasteful to them, despite the fact that they obviously can detect it.

Having said that, I admit I have wondered whether a fishes learning ability would eventually lead to it rejecting a glued bait, by associating it with danger after numerous captures. I think in the case of barbel at least, the experience of thousands of anglers catching week in, week out on glued baits, for years on end, seems to answer that question quite effectively :D

Cheers, Dave.

Further to my post the only Pellet I have had a problem with is the Teme Severn lamprey which is as hard as a rock but even then it is possible with a little effort see link
ebay.co.uk/Mal-Storey-Angling-Centre_Mustad_W0QQ_fsubZ18510440QQ_sidZ290492251QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em...

Sorry the link I gave for the bait pin does not appear to work just type in Mustad bait pin on google and it should show under Ebay

The good thing about super glue is that you don't need the loop in the line. This avoids bulky knots and the gunge left behind when you go to change pellets.

Paul

Rather than use a hair rig, before you go fishing just glue your pellets at regular intervals along an elastic band.
Once on the bank just cut the elastic band and put your hook through it.
No messing with glue, hairstops or anything like that, and costs nothing!!
All sizes and any number of pellets can be used using this method.

Regards

Wazzy

Back