• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

hair length/position

I’ve only been using them for the last few months pal, I was using hair rigs then another angler say me struggling at night and showed me them, with my eye sight they’ve been a god send

Usually 10mm at most.

I've also been using baitscrews the last year, just simply tied on a normal hair rig, not D or multi rig style. I like the fact no matter the size of bait you want to put on the distance between hook and bait stays the same, very useful. Also offers more natural movement of bait being that the hair is tied to another ring not the screw so is free to move.

I fish a "D" rig most of the time now , easier to tie than a standard hair rig , tangle free and hookholds have been superb , not for the barbel rig purists but i use it for the reasons mentioned , i use 15lb Amnesia on a drennan continental size 6 and cant see me going back to standard hair rigs anytime soon, just my angle on the thread

I have tried the "D" rig, and it is a good rig. But on the bigger hooks for barbel I still prefer the standard hair rig.

On hooks of size 8 and smaller I have had a fair bit of success using another style of loop on the hook shank described in the YouTube video "tying the improved banded hair rig". My version has a mini bait screw "Preston Innovations Bayonet" rather than the band, these work well given your boilies are not too hard or soft.

Back