• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

hair length/position

Andy Bebbington

Just wondering what hair length and position people use, i have been using a very short hair with a small piece of silicon on the hook to hold bait very near the bend of the hook.
Andy

I like the bait fairly tight to the bend, unless the chub and bream are being pesky then I prefer it longer. Extended length boilie stops obviously make this easy as I've found when wanting to paste wrap a boilie and you don't have to change rigs for one with a longer hair. Also use silicone on the hook to position the bait, the other plus side to this is it is a good indicator to see if something has mouthed the bait as the silicone is usually up near the eye end of the hook if something has showed an interest and you missed the knock on the rod.

It seems counter intuitive to fix a longer hair, but that is I believe is how the rig was supposed to be tied.The grubbing motion of a bottom feeding fish and that loose feed is sucked in, inspected and either retained or ejected would support that theory.
Wouldn't it?

short hair with a tungsten kicker .. but i will use a longer hair if there are lots of chub in the swim otherwise you end up catching loads of the bloody things

It seems counter intuitive to fix a longer hair, but that is I believe is how the rig was supposed to be tied.The grubbing motion of a bottom feeding fish and that loose feed is sucked in, inspected and either retained or ejected would support that theory.
Wouldn't it?
Neil. Yes for Carp and the way they usually tip up and suck in rather than grub.
Like most of the others, I like the hook to be in the mouth once the bait tasted, any movement....hooked.

Most of the time I like the bait tight to the bend of the hook. BUT, on the river Lot in the summer, little barbel can take quite a big bait and get hooked!

By little I mean 6ozs - 1lb.

When these tiddlers arrive enmasse (that's the limit of my French!) it helps to have about an inch between the bait and hook bend.

As much as I follow this forum I do not hear much talk of barbel tiddlers. You must have them - surely?

Most of the time I like the bait tight to the bend of the hook. BUT, on the river Lot in the summer, little barbel can take quite a big bait and get hooked!

By little I mean 6ozs - 1lb.

When these tiddlers arrive enmasse (that's the limit of my French!) it helps to have about an inch between the bait and hook bend.

As much as I follow this forum I do not hear much talk of barbel tiddlers. You must have them - surely?
We do on the Wye, these pups are prolific on some stretches.

So, so many ways..and all are correct. Lose one fish, god forbid 2 and that rig you have bagged up on and caught your PB on etc. Has just been totally shattered.... remember there's no set way that works 100% of the time and if you think there's is, standby as your next loss is just round the corner.

Just simple surely!! What on earth's a d rig kicker🤔
😂 it’s a lot simpler than having to thread a hair rig at night , just screw the bait on and away you go, the hook as a lot of movement as well

Attachments

• 13D042D8-C8ED-4B5A-93A9-B3A22440039F.png
    13D042D8-C8ED-4B5A-93A9-B3A22440039F.png
    264.6 KB · Views: 347
Back