• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Great Angling Mysteries

Why do carp anglers dress completely,including underwear in camouflage gear and then sit/lie in a bivvy in the dark ?

Why do so many of the barbel anglers on the Trent go to the trouble of donning head to toe camou, go to the expense of buying camou rucksacks, rod quivers, bait tubs etc only to then park a big @£@?-off white transit van immediately behind their swim ?!

I had a drive past Kilnsey trout ponds on Saturday, in a nice setting against the Yorkshire Dales background, but the ponds are IMO an eyesore, and the funniest thing was seeing a few hardy " put and take" fly anglers fluff chucking away, wearing full Camo gear,one even had a camo fly reel!
They were stood almost shoulder to shoulder alongside other fly flicking day anglers wearing high vis walking clothing.

Not just Carp / Trent Barbel Anglers then.

Sad thing is that the upper Wharfe, a fly anglers paradise, is only a spit away.

Dave

Why do we trot a float down a swim? Isn't trotting something to do with horses?

Come to think of it why do we fish in a swim?

I never quite understand why, when congratulating a person on a note worthy capture, people often say "well done that man". Generally the name of the captor is known so it would be just as easy to say "well done Bill". Obviously that only works if their name is actually Bill.

When reading the line "well done that man" I imagine a group of people stood together discussing the wonderful fish and the person offering the congratulations looking slightly befuddled by the sudden memory loss meaning they have no choice but to resort to pointing at the appropriate individual in the group. Presumably someone standing nearby would then follow it up with "what, so you mean Bill?". Obviously if there is more than one Bill in the party then that does make it even more confusing but the first person could legitimately say "well done that Bill" whilst simultaneously pointing at the relevant Bill. This makes the use of the word "that" totally understandable.

I still think it would be easier if, at the outset, the congratulations could be articulated with a reference to the actual person so deserving.

Why do angling articles contradict each other and themselves.

Eg one 'expert' says use same stick/bag bait as the one your hook. Another says use something different. One says use a brightly coloured bait to stand out and peek curiousity, another says don't as it will look suspicious.

And what is a 'dog perch'? Is it a hairy perch with a cold nose or a stripey dog which smells of fish?

Chris

One of the basic laws of fishing which you have to learn very early on is that there is a very strong positive correlation between degree of sudden tangleyness and eagerness to recast after a good bite.

indeed it is an exponential curve tending towards hopeless as the degree of eagerness approaches urgent.

Last edited:
Just how does one go about 'rinsing' a lake?

And how come everyone wants to use a 'killer' rig but no one should use a 'death' rig?

And do small tench and baby pigeons shoal together?

Here is one that has always puzzled me . Why do anglers , usually anglers holding giant carp , nearly always 1- Look like they have lost a tenner and found a penny 2- Rarely smile , don't look at the camera but gaze at the fish's head / tail . Is it not cool to smile in a trophy shot ? I was looking through some carp mag the other day , and out of 30 trophy shots only 3 anglers looked at the camera , preferring to gaze at the fish ,and only one smiled . Strange ....:(

Back