• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

goodbye leslies of Luton.

I know Howard, only pulling your leg chap. It was this that prompted my comment. "Good tackle shops,good venues you lot down south don't know how lucky you are". That just struck me as funny, as 'down south' is where you came from :D

However, I do take your point about the longliners etc. A case of swings and roundabouts I guess. I wouldn't deride Luton any more though...Hatter may take exception to that, and ban you!

Cheers, Dave

Dave The don't know how lucky you are refers only to the fishing and
tackle shops down south:D
When moving up north thought the lincs fishing/tackle shops would be good,
How wrong I wos:mad:

But the real important things in life are far better up here imo and were I still living in Luton I honestly think id be pushing up daiseys at the mo:eek:

Afraid to say that in many parts of luton youd not be safe out alone at night
without a couple of bodyguards,and that includes park street near Leslies
shop.

All the best Howard

Hi Howard,

Where you have moved to used to be one of the best served areas for fishing and tackle shops up to about 15years ago, unfortunately with the demise of the fishing on the Witham and a lot of the Boston drains the tackle shops followed the fishing. Horncastle used to have its own shop run by Fred, there was one on Kirksted bridge which moved to the bridge by Coningsby and the Roach and Bream fishing used to be fantastic.

I don't know if Horncastle still has a fishing club as the small pit used to fish well and the Bain held good Roach and Chub fishing. I used to be chairman of Horncastle when I lived there and if you PM me I might be able to point you in a direction or two or alternatively if you ask in Perkins newsagents they might be able to tell you who to talk to. Hopefully Boston still has decent tackle shops.
Your also not far from the Trent. Which is probably the best Barbel river in the country at the moment. If you ever fancy a day on the Trent let me know.

Re Leslie's, like you I used to shop there when they just had the small shop over the road and the one in St Albans. Back then when it was run by Dad and the boys it was a very friendly and helpfull shop to be in, this carried on for a while when they moved into the bigger shop as they were growing the business and I would imagine the overhead was a lot greater. I used it a lot when Dave Green was running the Barbel section as he's a great and very knowledgable person and always helpfull. That had certainly changed and when I last visited about a year or so ago.

Keith

Howard. If you get a chance to fish with Keith grab his hands off!

The thought of you two walking along the bank together sharing war wound stories could be made into a film. Better still if you were both on one of your prehistoric bikes...

I reckon you could talk about fushias for a couple hours.

Affectionately.

Grsham

Hi Keith, ive spent the last 12 months checking out the angling over here
and could mainly find commercials except have come across a place that
may be ok, on the net called Revesby estate lakes,its a syndicate water
only a couple of miles away from my home on the road towards conningsby.
Need to check it out but owing to a few probs have yet to get to look at it.
Also have found a club on the river Trent that looks good,with vehicle access
and have to investigate that to.
Looking for vehicle access really,as not sure how long I can carry on humping
gear for miles as recently had a heart prob.

Thanks for the trent offer if you still fancy a trip next season id be happy
to do that.

Re Leslies: The last time I shopped there I was the only customer in the shop
and had to walk around holding what looked like a miniature keep-net and plonking in it my needs without any chat with sales folk,and paying at a desk
much like a supermarket check-out.wasent impressed

Regards howard

Howard. If you get a chance to fish with Keith grab his hands off!

The thought of you two walking along the bank together sharing war wound stories could be made into a film. Better still if you were both on one of your prehistoric bikes...

I reckon you could talk about fushias for a couple hours.

Affectionately.

Graham.

Graham Ive a good war wound story, 3 months after moving here felt odd
when mowing my sloping front lawn,went indoors an sat down for 15 minutes
felt worse so told the missus to phone for an ambulance.Some minutes later
a Fire-Engine pulled up outside and a couple of firemen came to the door,
I thought they had sent the wrong 999 guys,till they started poking me around,minutes later and 2 Guys from RAF Conningsby turned up,seems in
this part of the country they have volunteer first response people.
Ambulance arrives to take me on a 20 minute journey to Lincoln hospital
where they tell me I was close to death on arrival,had a stent fitted,and
8 weeks later another stent.
The heart doctors at Lincoln are second to none so im sure if I was still in Luton id have died.
Anyway am now on the mend........not sure for how long,but am doing the
local Gym 3 times a week :D

Hope all is good with yourself and family best wishes Howard

Howard,
The fishing up that way was good, they all closed down when Fred Boney moved up there.

I have a feeling I may know where Keith will take you on t'trent...... you will be welcome.

How come that if your not Keith speeds and fish with extremely light lines for barbel you get criticised by the barbel guys. If you do fish with light lines for barbel you get your picture in the dangling press.

I thought fish safety was a first. What lb line minimum would you use?

Hi Howard,
That's fine with me, the offer will stand , just contact me when you want to go and we will arrange it. Early part of the season will be best, hardly any walking and safe parking etc.

Tony, spot on isn't it about time we heard the creaking of your cane on the bank again, all that hot weather chasing those Spanish Barbel is not good for all that old wood.

Keith

Howard,
The fishing up that way was good, they all closed down when Fred Boney moved up there.

Made me chuckle Tony :D

I have a feeling I may know where Keith will take you on t'trent...... you will be welcome.

Many thanks Howard

Back