• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

goodbye leslies of Luton.

Hi men,

Don't like to see shops shutting , or people losing their jobs , it's a shame. I used to shop in the origional Leslie's on the opposite side of the road (40 years ago) , and in fact did work for them . I used to make all their stainless buzzer bars , banksticks , needle bar systems , and PTFE bobbins , exclusive to them . I was also given a blank to whip up to do casting trials down the local park . I also spent a couple of evenings with "Gonzo" putting flavours on the shelf of the new shop when it was being set up ( half the size it finished up ). I made freinds through the shop , and the early days of a cup of coffee while you spent money was excellent .

But I voted with my feet , doing anything I could rather than put money into the shop , they tried to screw me on a couple of occations leading to a massive fall out with the owner when I told him to his face what I thought of his practices , which was a shame as I knew him for a long time . But more than anything it was the awefull customer service through the years , where they were doing you a favour by taking the cash from you , if they even bothered to make eye contact , which if you read the Facebook thread was the overriding feelings of many many people !. Big players in their time , but I'm not missing them , better shops around .

Hatter

It's almost impossible to escape the online retailing avalanche. You have a chance if you own your trading premises outright (well, as long as it's broadly mortgage free). But, I reckon you need to really up your game in terms of customer service in order to build loyalty. I don't know about others, but I respond well to great service and even if I could get something cheaper on line, I would most likely acquire what I needed from the shop, out of loyalty. Mind you, Tony at Thatcham Angling often sighs when customers enter the shop and you need to pick your moment if you want some maggots- which requires a walk to the very, very, back of the small shop. Once, I thought I saw the handle of a machete propped up against the back door. I recall have a rubbish time fishing on bread that day.

Not surprised at all, Soviet style customer care and I felt as welcome as a dose of Chlamydia! !

If any company ignores customer relations they deserve to go bust, Leslie's deserved everything they got!

Good riddance to the worst tackle shop in the world.

For me Colney Tackle (at London Colney nr St Albans) is excellent, helpful and welcoming, super bait at decent prices.
OK, so I have known and fished with Stuart for most of my life, but he and Carol are helpful to everyone and they will get anything for you IF they don't have it.

Harefield is also a great shop, they do have everything and are a bit pricier than Colney, again superb bait and a decent bunch of lads too!!

Support your local shop, internet and mail order companies cannot tell you where is fishing on the Thames or how to rig up for dropshot at Grafham.

I used to order everything from them; however in recent times it just too easy and convenient to use the ebay app on my iPhone.

Don't really remember when i have used any tackle shop when the owner or staff have not been on the miserable side, except maybe Eric's in Leeds a couple of times. I thought it was just a "northern" thing and i quite enjoy my visits to them. Maybe i just don't ask enough match fishing type questions.:)

Stephen

Angling direct at Waltham cross are the same as leslies of Luton. Very rude and they seem like there not bothered about your custom one bit. Johnson Ross for me every time. Very nice chaps.

Good Tackle shop...Woody's Hereford,Freindly,and will give you good advice about the Wye (unfortunately if you live near as I do) but still a god lad.

Don't really remember when i have used any tackle shop when the owner or staff have not been on the miserable side, except maybe Eric's in Leeds a couple of times. I thought it was just a "northern" thing and i quite enjoy my visits to them. Maybe i just don't ask enough match fishing type questions.:)

Stephen

Yep it seems to be part and parcel in the job to be miserable, just why I don't know, but it's the same in many retail shops, I spent £150 in Curry's yesterday and I really upset the 'salesman' having to drag him away from his chat with his other salesman mates.

For me to work in a tackle shop would be akin to a kid in a sweetshop, but I really think it is because Carper's are a miserable bunch anyway :rolleyes: unlike the chirpy friendly match and speccy guy's :p

Another vote for brilliant customer service at Harefield tackle and Woody's of Wembley - Woody's have restored and original cane rods and the expertise to go way back with them. And then there's Tadley Angling - always a cuppa with a visit.

Tend to agree Leslie staff had a couldn't care less attitude.used to use Simpsons at turnford,that was ok but when changed to angling direct at Waltham cross terrible customer service.never go in there now too unfriendly,johnson ross totally different.good customer care take time out to talk to you.that's now my local tackle shop.angling direct deserve it if they went bust.

I found the customer service second to none at Leslie's.
No one else could be that bad!

I think the early days of mail order kept them afloat for far too long. Many a smaller, more honest shop has gone to the wall in my local area. I once had a choice of 8, now 2. I'm lucky in that I can walk to my local (Andy's Angling in Shefford), and expect a decent service. It is amazing what a small shop can offer if it is well thought out.

Another vote for brilliant customer service at Harefield tackle and Woody's of Wembley - Woody's have restored and original cane rods and the expertise to go way back with them. And then there's Tadley Angling - always a cuppa with a visit.

Agree with you about Tadley Angling- lovely folk and not an instrument of torture in sight. I'm not including the scary pike lures in that.

I hate to think how much money I have spent in there over the years...was far too easy to just pop in on the daily commute from London! But last couple of years it went really down hill, low stock, poor attitude and overpriced.
Gone Fishing in Wolverton, MK is a great shop and very helpful.
Have also heard Erics Angling is planning on opening a Sourthern store ...but no details of where

Hi men,

At least we get another mosque in Luton :eek:

We have a saviour though , Browns tackle up the road in Leighton Buzzard , good parking , anglers serving that know the game , plenty of everything , pleasant atmosphere !.

Hatter

Always swore by my local tackle shop, until, an eagle eyed customer noticed he was selling his maggots using an " american pint jug " ( smaller than ours ) :eek:, and " always had his thumb " on the inside. How sneaky is that. I now travel a further 5 miles for bait. :mad: How many sales has he lost cos of his penny pinching ?????

Back