• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

goodbye leslies of Luton.

Any of you Kennet chaps go to Reading Angling Centre - is it still there?

Spent a lot of time and money in there when I lived in Reading - excellent bait and tackle, and a good crack too.

Rob used to bag you up maggots in the bait room, which a lot of places won't do now.

Never been/never bought from Leslies, just an observation (and I'm interested to hear if anyone who works in the trade can concur): has the personal touch in retail lessened at all because more anglers are buying their rods/reels/poles i.e. their expensive tackle online? If the majority of those visiting shops are going in for bait/terminal tackle etc does this reduce the incentive to engage in conversation? It must annoying to see prospective buyers trying out all the gear before walking off and logging on to their keyboards and saving a few pounds by doing so.

Any of you Kennet chaps go to Reading Angling Centre - is it still there?

Spent a lot of time and money in there when I lived in Reading - excellent bait and tackle, and a good crack too.

Rob used to bag you up maggots in the bait room, which a lot of places won't do now.

Yes, just got back from there, great shop, no website, and can't walk in there without coming out with twice the amount of gear I ever intended to buy...they see me coming.

Never been/never bought from Leslies, just an observation (and I'm interested to hear if anyone who works in the trade can concur): has the personal touch in retail lessened at all because more anglers are buying their rods/reels/poles i.e. their expensive tackle online? If the majority of those visiting shops are going in for bait/terminal tackle etc does this reduce the incentive to engage in conversation? It must annoying to see prospective buyers trying out all the gear before walking off and logging on to their keyboards and saving a few pounds by doing so.

Anthony, the very same happened with Jessops the camera retailer. People just used their high street shops to handle a prospective purchase and then order online at a cheaper price. This practice ultimately doomed their shops which was rather ironic as it was often Jessops own online site that customers brought from!

I'm not in the tackle trade, but back in the early 80,s we were going to take the plunge, sell up and "invest" in a tackle shop. We looked at two in Bournemouth and another in the New Forrest.
What soon became clear was that to take over a thriving business was beyond our financial clout. Back then a double fronted shop in Bournemouth needed 50 grand for the leasehold and a further 50 grand for stock and 'goodwill ' ( a bank would not loan you funding for the latter two at the time). Our house was valued at 30k at that time.
After examining the books of the other two shops neither looked a go'er, ( partly due to short leases) although one of them was highlighting that they were Jack Hargreaves local tackle shop . After watching him catch Stour chub on a freshly cut willow wand with a few yards of line tied to the tip (Out of town ), I figured all he was likely to be buying was a pack of hooks to nylon!
Ultimately we bottled it, but it gave me an insight into some of what was involved.

Small shops are at the mercy of some suppliers who won't let them sell their product unless a substantial amount are ordered, and are also put at the bottom of the list when the slow boat from China has failed to turn up.
Televisions and phones often have priority over fishing gear when container space is limited.
My local shop is run by a lovely fella but is predominantly stocked with cheap gear. He tells me that this is because the locals won't fork out for the 'quality' stuff. My argument with that is why would anglers who have a few extra quid to spend walk through the door knowing that what they're interested in buying will not be available. Those guys will go elsewhere or buy online, regardless of any offer to order one from the owner.
Regarding trying out rods and reels, .. yes that must be frustrating for the owner but there is probably more annual profit in bait and sundries, ( how often do we stroll out of a tackle shop with what I call ' the little £50 bag'?) nevertheless it's bound to impact the figures.

The more successful shops are often well situated, have good cash flow ( despite crippling business rates),.. which will reflect in a shop full of gear.... run by genuinely friendly owners who know what they're talking about, and are also willing to open all hours. Good bait is another obvious requirement. Not as easy as it sounds I imagine!:rolleyes:

Where are all these 'discount' online stores everyone is talking about??

When i shop online its with the likes of climax, ted carter, erics and fosters. Whilst these have a great online presence they also have very successful high street shops. In all honesty they are normally within a few pound of each other with current major brands

When I have a large purchase to make - yes I shop around but will always say to my local shop 'can you match the price from so and so'.........normally they can and do

I bought from Leslies over the years online and always had excellent service. Never stepped over the threshold of the shop but always had a good online service when ever I purchased something. Bloody quick delivery as well.

I bought from Leslies over the years online and always had excellent service. Never stepped over the threshold of the shop but always had a good online service when ever I purchased something. Bloody quick delivery as well.

I would like to say the same too, very helpful over the phone when ordering.

Damian

Similarly - no one locally stocks John Baker products. Always delivered in good time. And the discounted BFW (Big Fish World) gear has stood the test of time.

Visited leslies on numerous occasions and found kevin ok and often very
helpful as were the carp lads.Used their shop in St Albans and can only say
not to bad service there either.Unlike loads here also used the shop on
the other side of the road next door to stubbs fish and chip shop before
they moved to the side they are on now........no real complaints.
Can only say if I asked for advice in any Leslies shop,they were mostly
pretty helpful..............sometimes they were more intent in the coffee they
were drinking,but no worse than Browns in Leighton where I have shopped
more than once.
Some of the smart guys here are not the most polite,or friendly so think
before slagging off hard working shop assistants,should look long and hard
in the mirror.
The best tackle shops ive used for polite helpful folk are Johnson ross and nearer Luton
Bleak hall sports in Kempston,though im sure they may also suffer bad mood days
Don't we all

That was the problem Clive. Their online service was very professional and worked well. Unfortunately, because the owners of the shop were into other things (Kevin was more into fluff chucking and shooting if I remember right), they seemed to become more and more bored and blase about the whole thing, allowing the other staff free reign.

Kevin and Ian were ok, friendly and knowledgeable fellas...but some of the other younger staff could be very offhand. It was better in the St. Albans days, but I guess things change over time...unfortunately.

Cheers, Dave.

Good tackle shops,good venues you lot down south don't know how lucky
you are

Ive moved from Luton to a village in the Lincs wolds,and not knowing the
waters to fish have dropped in to about 6 different tackle shops in the area
and asked for a club/syndicate in a 50 mile radius with lakes holding fair
size pike that I can drive around to park swimside.
So far in 12 months all ive had is odd looks and info about run down
commercials and caravan parks.

Were I still living in Luton Leslies would probably offered lots of decent
clubs,in fact did give advice about my previous waters,despite the seemingly
lack of Lincs still waters glad I moved from the area though will probably
have to take up golf:mad:

Howard, you remind me of those who originate from a certain island off the west coast of England. They passionately claim that it is the finest place on earth, will fight anyone who doesn't agree with that theory and and frequently have a tipple or six to toast the 'old country', lapsing into tears as they reminisce about it. Funny thing is, most of them have moved out and now live somewhere else.....

:D:D:D

Cheers, Dave.

David Never in my life have I said luton is a great place to live,im glad to
have left the dustbin of the world,and now live somewhere that folk are
friendly the surroundings are pretty,the hospitals and doctors are second
to none and I now do not have 8 kids kicking a football against my walls.
Can get 2 brilliant full English brekkies and tea for two for less than 8 quid
in restaurant called poppies on the skeggy road and get a personal trainer
twice a week at Horncastle Gym free of charge.
Only shame are the free for caravaners and campers fisheries,and the local
once brilliant drains spoilt by the long liner only here to catch my supper.:mad:

Seem to remember Andy Francis suggesting bfw sell a 'Lennie's of Luton" brand in the online shop ��

At one point we were really keen on the idea of doing our own luggage. In fact I had conversations with a couple of manufacturers. BFW was pretty much the only online place for barbel anglers at the time and it was very popular.

At the same time Leslies trademarked the name Big Fish World (BFW) when used with fishing tackle and luggage. That could have complicated things for us significantly so we begrudgingly knocked the idea on the head.

I guess you could say the Leslies were simply being strewth, or you could say it was a complete coincidence.

Cheers,

Andy F

David Never in my life have I said luton is a great place to live,im glad to
have left the dustbin of the world,and now live somewhere that folk are
friendly the surroundings are pretty,the hospitals and doctors are second
to none and I now do not have 8 kids kicking a football against my walls.
Can get 2 brilliant full English brekkies and tea for two for less than 8 quid
in restaurant called poppies on the skeggy road and get a personal trainer
twice a week at Horncastle Gym free of charge.
Only shame are the free for caravaners and campers fisheries,and the local
once brilliant drains spoilt by the long liner only here to catch my supper.:mad:

I know Howard, only pulling your leg chap. It was this that prompted my comment. "Good tackle shops,good venues you lot down south don't know how lucky you are". That just struck me as funny, as 'down south' is where you came from :D

However, I do take your point about the longliners etc. A case of swings and roundabouts I guess. I wouldn't deride Luton any more though...Hatter may take exception to that, and ban you!

Cheers, Dave

I have mixed feelings about its demise - When I rediscovered barbel fishing during the magical late nineties I regularly popped into Leslies on my way to and from work at the
FCO HQ at Hanslope Park and the nearby Great Ouse.

I spent a considerable amount of money over the first few years completely re-kitting myself out on rucksacks, seats, mats, line, leads, clothing, etc. I noted that
the items were scanned but no receipts given -it wasn't until they were that I realised that I was being charged very time for their own catalogue!

Interesting that others felt the same way about the customer service - the younger brother Kevin was very personable - but the older one just glared at me every time I walked into the shop - I put it down to a distrust in of people in suits...!

Then, after losing one battle with the increasingly large Ouse barbel I realised I needed a more powerful rod - and checked out the newly launched FOX Kevlar -
unfortunately the only one available was the display model in the shop window - so I requested a £20 discount - only to be met with a peculiar look of pity and contempt by Dave the the shop manager.

I never purchased a large ticket item from there again.

Final straw was being caught twice by the parking warden in the bays oposite the shop - the first when I was seeking change in the shop for the machine and the second
literally a minute over time - evidently they used to hide in a nearby empty shop entrance - costing me £40 each,

That experience, coupled with the sad demise of the Ouse, has meant that I have never been back...

Regards

Paul AKA the Lurker

Back