• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Gone Fishing is back

Watched bits of the first season when it was on. Was ok but it’s definitely more of show to please everyone rather than a show for anglers. I’d rather watch Chris Yates and Bob James jumping out of trees into a lake with a fish on or a bit of John Wilson creasing himself up while playing fish any day of the week

Yeah I wouldn’t say I dislike it but it’s far from a fishing program. It’s a lot better than half the rubbish that’s on tv these days

According to 'Jeff' over on the BAA forum, the final episode is at SS on the Lower Severn. I'd have hardly thought that will make fascinating viewing though really.

Watched bits of the first season when it was on. Was ok but it’s definitely more of show to please everyone rather than a show for anglers. I’d rather watch Chris Yates and Bob James jumping out of trees into a lake with a fish on or a bit of John Wilson creasing himself up while playing fish any day of the week
I dont think you can compare it to any normal angling show ?
as its really about the camaraderie of a couple of guys that showcase some of the UKs fantastic scenery having a great laugh and a bit of fishing thrown in that captures the excitement in a unique way and even the cooking is interesting a real feel good show for me

I found it a bit awkward to watch at times, as has been alluded to, the basic skills of casting and holding a rod properly should be achievable within hours. The banter is sometimes funny but sometimes it seems forced, perhaps a quiet moment between them would be better than trying to manufacture humour???

I will watch the latest series though, it's got to be better than the usual drivel pushed out by mainstream tv.

There have been many "quiet" and quite touching moments in all of the series so far, not just about their own experiences, but also memories of family etc. Bob talking very openly about his dad's death and Paul spreading ashes in one of the episodes (not actually filmed) being two examples.

Bob is one of my all-time comedy heroes, so admittedly I'm biased, but a few notes on comments made so far:

Bob really does enjoy fishing, always has done (although didn't get out very much before Paul started taking him out more) and does go on his own outside of the making of the show (he occasionally refers to trips out and visits to tackle shops on the Athletico Mince and Parsnips podcasts, and a sketch in The Smell Of Reeves & Mortimer featured Bob fishing with his own equipment [replete with haphazard cast, from memory]), BUT he's always quick to acknowledge that the main reason he goes is for the peace and quiet, the scenery and time to reflect - he's never been one for the technical intricacies or perfecting the skills and isn't the least bit bothered if he doesn't catch;
The show is not about fishing in the same way that Jaws is not about a shark (and, if we're absolutely honest, even A Passion For Angling isn't really about fishing either, is it). It (Gone Fishing) is about two men who have both come out the other side of nearly dying (as Bob has said in the show a few times, he was actually technically dead for a good few minutes), being all too aware of and getting to grips with their own mortality and finding ways to appreciate the lives they have - it's very much therapy for them both, physically, mentally and emotionally;
Despite what some people think, Bob and Paul are genuinely very close friends and don't just put on a show for the camera. They've known each other for years - before both became famous in the early 90s - and spend quite a lot of time together. They have different personalities (shown by Paul getting annoyed with Bob's can't-really-be-arsed attitude, and Bob's amusement at Paul taking it so seriously) which is one of the things that make it a very real friendship and not just a face they put on just for the camera.

I think a lot of people go in with preconceived and/or misinformed ideas about both what the show is and what Bob and Paul are doing with it.

Last edited:
There have been many "quiet" and quite touching moments in all of the series so far, not just about their own experiences, but also memories of family etc. Bob talking very openly about his dad's death and Paul spreading ashes in one of the episodes (not actually filmed) being two examples.

Bob is one of my all-time comedy heroes, so admittedly I'm biased, but a few notes on comments made so far:

Bob really does enjoy fishing, always has done (although didn't get out very much before Paul started taking him out more) and does go on his own outside of the making of the show (he occasionally refers to trips out and visits to tackle shops on the Athletico Mince and Parsnips podcasts, and a sketch in The Smell Of Reeves & Mortimer featured Bob fishing with his own equipment [replete with haphazard cast, from memory]), BUT he's always quick to acknowledge that the main reason he goes is for the peace and quiet, the scenery and time to reflect - he's never been one for the technical intricacies or perfecting the skills and isn't the least bit bothered if he doesn't catch;
The show is not about fishing in the same way that Jaws is not about a shark (and, if we're absolutely honest, even A Passion For Angling isn't really about fishing either, is it). It (Gone Fishing) is about two men who have both come out the other side of nearly dying (as Bob has said in the show a few times, he was actually technically dead for a good few minutes), being all too aware of and getting to grips with their own mortality and finding ways to appreciate the lives they have - it's very much therapy for them both, physically, mentally and emotionally;
Despite what some people think, Bob and Paul are genuinely very close friends and don't just put on a show for the camera. They've known each other for years - before both became famous in the early 90s - and spend quite a lot of time together. They have different personalities (shown by Paul getting annoyed with Bob's can't-really-be-arsed attitude, and Bob's amusement at Paul taking it so seriously) which is one of the things that make it a very real friendship and not just a face they put on just for the camera.

I think a lot of people go in with preconceived and/or misinformed ideas about both what the show is and what Bob and Paul are doing with it.
That may all be true but I can only comment on what I see and how I perceive it.

I have/had no preconceived and/or misinformed ideas at all, I watched it and made up my own mind, which is what I think most people do with any TV programme.

One mans' meat and all that👍

Oh, of course, I'm not saying we should all be of the same opinion about the show, nor was my overall response directed at you Bob, I'm just fed up of people (not on this forum I hasten to add) saying that Bob and Paul's relationship is clearly contrived for the cameras and there's no chemistry between them - shows a complete ignorance of their (long and involved) history and an inability to recognise a real friendship (with as many eye rolls as shared laughs) on TV when they see it.

Oh, of course, I'm not saying we should all be of the same opinion about the show, nor was my overall response directed at you Bob, I'm just fed up of people (not on this forum I hasten to add) saying that Bob and Paul's relationship is clearly contrived for the cameras and there's no chemistry between them - shows a complete ignorance of their (long and involved) history and an inability to recognise a real friendship (with as many eye rolls as shared laughs) on TV when they see it.
The thing that bugs me Steve is that Bob still cannot hold a rod properly or play a fish. If there was some progression we could believe that he actually wanted to learn how to fish. As it is, whilst the program on the whole is enjoyable, we anglers are still bugged by the ineptitude on display.

I'm forced to watch it because my wife enjoys it, I wish we could have a proper fishing programme though!
The only thing that could be more irritating would be if Les Dennis were to make a guest appearance, at least he would make Bob look good!

I wonder how many others watching it remembered the black and white Robinson Crusoe series from the 60's when the music came on during the waves coming up the beach part. What next the flashing Blade music ?. Yes Bob is a tit when it comes to casting or playing fish but that adds to the fun. We all knew he was going to lose the sea trout he hooked, he usually loses fish .We all knew how Paul then felt and his reaction. I see plenty of anglers that struggle Bob, is right at home with them. With all the terrible casting and holding the rod cack-handed he still managed to hook the first fish. The BBC etc do not really give a poop for fishing programs, River Monsters and Gone Fishing have to appeal to non fishers which it does.

I reckon it's just me but I watched some of one of their programmes last week, for the first time, and got fed up with the incessant twaddle :oops:
It now all seems a bit strained and false to me, even their relationship appears to be a caricature of what it really is perhaps...
Fishing to me is a far more a serious subject, I would never fish with their characters as they are always messing about and that becomes tiresome after a while.
But its my view and it appears to be somewhat out of step with the rest...

I think John Baileys influence is very positive, I congratulate him, you can see that with the locations and tackle etc.

It now all seems a bit strained and false to me, even their relationship appears to be a caricature of what it really is perhaps...
Fishing to me is a far more a serious subject, I would never fish with their characters as they are always messing about and that becomes tiresome after a while.
But its my view and it appears to be somewhat out of step with the rest...

I think John Baileys influence is very positive, I congratulate him, you can see that with the locations and tackle etc.
The two have been friends for over 30 years however Bob said when they come to fish together he knows he does get on Pauls nerves

and cant explain why he suddenly turns into a toddler he said maybe because he never had a Father figure as his dad died when he was 7
and said its like I turn into a toddler and see paul as a father telling him what to do he said why I even blooming need help standing up half the time I just go to pieces lol

If you've seen or heared Bob on anything else throughout his time, it's abundantly clear the man does not take anything in life too seriously! He's made a career out of it, so I don't buy the idea that this show is contrived in anyway.
I try to follow a similar path but it's harder not being in a similar financial position!

They were both on the radio the other day, Bob was saying after their Wye trip its now his favourite place in England and he goes there regularly.

Last edited:
I honestly think they are the most natural pair on TV and do wonder whether people find them slightly awkward/contrived because we’ve been fed such well scripted performers on other shows. I appreciate some will not find them funny ( I personally hate Python) but unnatural ?? Very odd.

I enjoyed it.

Loved the camera work and stunning scenery, and it’s given me the urge to visit the Outer Hebrides and chase some of those sea trout.

In the late 80's / early 90s I went to a private stretch of the Kennet and was turned away as "Bob and Vic have booked it for the day". I love the programme, but Bob not being able to fish is pure acting imo.

In the late 80's / early 90s I went to a private stretch of the Kennet and was turned away as "Bob and Vic have booked it for the day". I love the programme, but Bob not being able to fish is pure acting imo.
If it's the sketch I'm thinking of (a Jack Dent and Eric Potter one) from The Smell of Reeves and Mortimer, there's no fishing in it, they're just dicking about by/in a river. The BBC probably hired it for the day to film the sketch rather than to go fishing.

Last edited:
Back