• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Gobio Gobio aka the Gudgeon

Good to recognise the humble Gudgeon, indeed the first fish I caught by my own hand, back in 1974 on the little River Sence. I think I have some Kingfisher Guild Certificates for some of the monster Gobios I used to catch.

Hardly seen one for years, in fact I was struggling to remember the last one I caught then I suddenly remember that greedy little chap I found attached to a hair rigged 14mm halibut pellet on the Severn a few years ago.

Regards
Al

Good to recognise the humble Gudgeon, indeed the first fish I caught by my own hand, back in 1974 on the little River Sence. I think I have some Kingfisher Guild Certificates for some of the monster Gobios I used to catch.

Hardly seen one for years, in fact I was struggling to remember the last one I caught then I suddenly remember that greedy little chap I found attached to a hair rigged 14mm halibut pellet on the Severn a few years ago.

Regards
Al

14mm pellet! I bet that would have caused some case of indigestion...I suppose that's where the "Gob" in Gobio comes from. It's so big they named it twice!

Greedy gudgeon!!
11032008666.jpg

Quality fish but where have they all gone used to target them on the canals in matches ,but there not there now .We could do with a campaign WHERE HAVE THE GONKS GONE!

There's usually plenty of them in the Llangollen Canal at the end of my garden in summer and autumn, at present they seem to have been displaced by roach.

Back in the early eighties used to catch monster gudgeon on the Bristol Avon Tributary
the Semington Brook i sure some were well over the current record and for monster three spinned Sticklebacks the Bitham Brook took some beating now the brook is clear and pollution free the Brownies have to do three point turns.

Thanks for sharing that Chris , lovely piece . It was the gudgeon that really got me going with fishing as a lad . I have a huge and lasting fondness for them , on the last two opening days of the season it is gudgeon I have fished for , they are a really pretty fish and fight like the devil , proper fish !

I could not have put it better myself, wonderful little creatures!

Hugo

I remember having never seen one as a kid until there was an explosion of them on the upper Swale for no discernible reason. They vanished almost as quickly as they arrived and I've hardly seen one since. Only fishing in other parts of the country has seen me catch any in the last fifteen years or so.

Spooky Andy , I was just about to start a thread on the humble gudgeon ,my all time favourite fish . Contrary to your experience I was really puzzled at the lack of gudgeon in the recent cold snap . I have been fishing in a stream that is full of them ,normally lusty biters , not a tweak . Where have they all gone ? Do Northern gudgeon hibernate ? Have I lost my touch ?.Anyway boys and girls lets have some pics up of your gudgeon captures , they are a fine fish that deserve our admiration , a barbel in miniature and what superb colours

You cannot have too much of a good thing.....

regards

Hugo

I still remember fishing the lock cut on the Thames at Marlow as a kid. The river was in flood so every Gudgeon on that stretch was in the cut. The first day I caught my greatest haul of them which was a 173. The next day 171 Gudgeon were caught and not another species of fish were in the net. I wasn't dissapointed. Great memories. :)

Took my 7 year old nephew on the B'ham - Worcs Canal for a few hours in the evening last week. Fished 2m whip and pinkie and caught plenty of them under our feet. He also managed to catch the biggest Gudgeon I've ever seen. I weighed it at just over 3oz so that's got to be in the speciment category. Really enjoyed it with a few Perch and some decent Roach thrown in all in 2ft of water a foot or so from the bank and not another angler in sight.

I still remember fishing the lock cut on the Thames at Marlow as a kid. The river was in flood so every Gudgeon on that stretch was in the cut. The first day I caught my greatest haul of them which was a 173. The next day 171 Gudgeon were caught and not another species of fish were in the net. I wasn't dissapointed. Great memories. :)

A really great catch which brings back memories of the Thames and Marlow.

I cannot wait to catch my next gudgeon.

Regards as ever

Hugo

Such a pretty little fish this, I was lucky enough to bump into a few large gudgeon yesterday whilst trotting for chub and barbel. It was a lovely fast gravelly run but occasionally the float would come to rest in a little slack area and then the marauding shoals of gudgeon attacked my maggots. Such fun, and was equally pleased with catching these as well as the chub and barbel - in the end I looked forward to the float coming to rest in the slack area. They are a fish that remind you of what fishing should be about.

This was the best of the lot, you can tell I was happy!

photo (2).jpg

Big gonk from secret Yorkshire location

Mike (Hodgkiss) asked me to share this with you:

IMG_5613.jpg

I think we have an answer at last to that rhetorical question "who ate all the pies?" :)

R.

With only just over a month to go before the glorious sixteenth my thoughts have turned to the wonderful gudgeon.

There are some splendid photos on this thread.

Regards

Hugo

Had my first of the season off middle trent this week on double 8mm pellet and size 10 hook , used to catch hundreds but then again used to use maggots as well but not so many now

Back