• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Gobio Gobio aka the Gudgeon

Andy Taylor

Having been out in the past few days on my local stretch of the Arrow and not blanking only due to the humble Gudgeon being in a feeding frenzy, I thought it worthy of expressing my thanks and honouring them with a new thread. Sorry no photos, it was far too cold and all were returned immediately before they froze solid. :D

Spooky Andy , I was just about to start a thread on the humble gudgeon ,my all time favourite fish . Contrary to your experience I was really puzzled at the lack of gudgeon in the recent cold snap . I have been fishing in a stream that is full of them ,normally lusty biters , not a tweak . Where have they all gone ? Do Northern gudgeon hibernate ? Have I lost my touch ?.Anyway boys and girls lets have some pics up of your gudgeon captures , they are a fine fish that deserve our admiration , a barbel in miniature and what superb colours

Gonks, you got to love em.....

Cracking fish..... if only they grew to 10lbs...........

Not my capture, but my daughters Gonk PB... sadly its in the summer, so its weight will have been well down, but if I could only catch it at the back end of the season.........

IMG_2459.jpg

Steve

Steve - the bait looks bigger than the Gudgeon!....chub in disguise perhaps?

Mike - I understand they are migratory and may well have left your area and made their way over the winter to spawn in their usual grounds, i.e. the Warks Arrow. Research shows they prefer a river bed littered with shopping trolleys and rubbish and my local stretch has most of Morrisons supply thrown in throughout the year... I am sure there is one well over 5oz lurking somewhere in the depths feeding on the Perch fry!

Easily my favourite species.

Closeup_Redmire.jpg

Recovering my first ever Redmire gudgeon! (first ever seen, not landed!)

Last edited:
Quality fish but where have they all gone used to target them on the canals in matches ,but there not there now .We could do with a campaign WHERE HAVE THE GONKS GONE!

Don't seem to be so many about these days !
We used to catch netfuls of them on The Avon. There was also a BA tributary (not the Marden) which I used to fish where they used to be huge, probably 2-3ozs some of them !
Gorgeous looking little things !

Got a top secret stillwater up my sleeve thats absolutely stuffed with em, very interested in what might be eating the little blighters :)

Best covered in breadcrumbs and deep fried.......:p

I'll get me coat....

Scrummy ! Great posts and pictures keep em coming, I reckon the gudgeon in the young ladies hand could push 2oz by the end of the season . Is it a known fish ? :)

Thanks for sharing that Chris , lovely piece . It was the gudgeon that really got me going with fishing as a lad . I have a huge and lasting fondness for them , on the last two opening days of the season it is gudgeon I have fished for , they are a really pretty fish and fight like the devil , proper fish !

Back