• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Garlic spam

Hot & Spicy spam given a run out this afternoon. Difficult to know how much the barbel like it because the Chub didn't give them a chance, around 15 between 2 and 4 pounds. I did manage a couple of small barbel

I've still got a few trays of the original Monty Python themed Stinky French garlic Spam (bigger tins and somehow seemed more garlicky than the later non-Python version). I've also got the odd tin of black pepper Spam kicking about. If I were actually using meat for barbel in a big way, I'd happily add Hot & Spicy to the hoard. Variety is the spice of life.

Opened my last tin of the Stinky French spam today, the chub loved it, the barbel weren't bothered. Couldn't keep it on the hair after the savage chub pulls no matter how I tried with rig tubing etc.

Opened my last tin of the Stinky French spam today, the chub loved it, the barbel weren't bothered. Couldn't keep it on the hair after the savage chub pulls no matter how I tried with rig tubing etc.

Try an oblong piece, say the shape of two and a quarter cubes end-to-end, drill though it lengthways with a thin drinking straw (I get them off the mini juice cartons), pull the drinking straw about 40% out one end, cut it off, so the drinking straw is now down the centre of just about 60% of the meat put the hair with a push stop through the length of the straw and have the hook buried in meat above the straw.

I've caught both barbel and chub on that.

Hair rigging doesn't mean you can' t also bury the hook - like 4 pieces of corn on a hair, with the top one a firm one that completely sheathes the hook, has landed me quite a few chub since I started using it last autumn.

Got one remaining tin of garlic spam that'll go on Ebay for charity one day, but easy to put better flavours in yerself in so many ways. One of the best is just to freeze in some sweet chilli & garlic sauce that every supermarket, even every convenience store, has these days.

I can confirm that barbel do have a liking for the new ' hot and spicy ' spam , well at least those that swim in the Yorkshire Ouse do :D

Barbel and chub like the spicy stuff on the wharfe too, catching on it when the river was low, not had chance to try it out whilst rivers been up last week.

Back