• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Garlic spam again!

I contacted Spam UK earlier in the year having missed out on the Netto bonanza.They told me that Netto had all their remaining stock (Stinky French Garlic) and there were no plans to reintroduce it.The US Garlic Spam as someone has already pointed out is not exported.
Pete:(

Two tins of standard meat in a blender with two cloves of garlic and two tablespoons of garlic oil.
Use gelatin to set it or compress and reheat as garlic spam meatloaf

Darryl...are you saying that if I do the blender thing with gelatin as you say, the resulting meat would hold together and thus be as tough and usable as the original?

You don't think that as the gelatin re-disolves in the water that it will quite quickly break down?

Have you actually tried these ideas?

Cheers, Dave.

Gelatin baits are not as durable as meat but hang together well enough for September onwards. Read the Stayner Obsession book for more on this.
The Garlic Spam Meatloaf is as durable as meat (the edge pieces even more so)

An alternative idea is to take the blended spam/garlic-oil/garlic-cloves and use in a mesh (eg the Fox Armomesh) but that means hair only presentation.

Hi Darryl,

Many thanks for that, very interesting indeed. Obviously from the amounts of GO you are advocating, it is not essential oil. I have googled GO and found one or two possible sources.

I shall have to look into this further.

Cheers, Dave.

An alternative idea is to take the blended spam/garlic-oil/garlic-cloves and use in a mesh (eg the Fox Armomesh) but that means hair only presentation.

That's no big problem though, is it? Might even keep the chublets at bay :rolleyes:

Mind you, I cam imagine tying tying a few bait bags up is going to leave you smelling distinctly anti social. I occasionaly travel by train when going fishing...might mean I get a seat :D

Cheers, Dave.

In terms of Garlic oil, you can use the Essential oil (eg Nutrabaits), Oil in capsules, Olive Oil with a Hint of Garlic (most supermarket own brand) or the Garlic Feed Inducers used in aquariums. Steve Stayner recommends one (Kent Garlic EXtreme) but others exist: see http://www.atlantisaquatics.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=24_36_75
or even crushed raw garlic!

Hi Darryl,

As a marine reef keeper I have used many of the aquarists products from Kent etc. before. At the moment I am feeding frozen cubes of garlic enriched brine shrimp...BAD smell :D

However, it is a sad fact that products designed for the use of aquarists are, if anything, even more of a rip-off than many of the products intended for anglers. The marketing people are well aware that we hobbyists tend to be a tad fanatical and willing to turn a blind eye in order to obtain the 'best' :rolleyes: (Perhaps I should qualify that by saying SOME hobbyists :D)

Thankfuly, I found one or two sites on the web where these oils are relatively cheap, so no problem from that point of view.

Thanks again Darryl,

Cheers, Dave.

Well guys I have contacted both spam uk and netto. Netto did indeed purchase the entire remaining stock of garlic spam and they have completely sold out so thats it no more garlic meat! i will have to be very careful with my last tins! Lets hope spam have a change of heart and reintroduce it.

bloody exspensive at almost £11.50 for 2 tins including postage, i hope it catches you a few at that price
cheers
jerry

Just a re-boot on an old thread and my stocks getting low, is there any Garlic Spam for sale anywhere??????????

Back