• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Garlic spam again!

Barry Garwood

Senior Member & Supporter
Hello everyone, I have just discovered that i amdown to my last 4 cans of garlic meat and my usual supply source doesnt do it anymore!. Does anybody know any shops that still stock it? or am i going to have to stink the kitchen out doing my own?:D:D

Barry,
Last place I was able to get it was Netto in Bexleyheath...that was some considerable time ago though...If i'm passing i'll take a butchers and send you a message...If you care to PM me with a mobile number i'll text you.
Bill W

come on then, someone buy it...lol
i prefer the normal lite stuff with a little turmeric myself.

Laid down a cellar of twenty tins last time Netto had it in stock beginning of the year. Some people swear by the spam with black pepper which is still available at Morrisions.

Chaps , save yourself some brass ! TESCO do a 340g can of SPAM for £1.35 (on special til sarurday ) Garlic oil 50ml £4.99 ( ebay free delivery ) this should do 10 tins of SPAM at least !
Do it yourself garlic spam for £1.85 a tin.

Thats Half price in my calculations !!!

Interesting that you mention the Black Pepper Spam Stuart, I tried it on one occassion and ate more than I used as hookbait or feed !! Very edible but you can be assured that I won't be eating the Garlic version........

Half price James !! ? What price are some of you blokes having to pay ? When I bought mine it was definately less than 2 quid a tin, a lot less I think but can't remember exactly.
I like your idea though, it takes me back to the early/middle eighties when two mates and I used Garlic Oil in a HP bait for Carp...Only one drop to six eggs but an absolute magic bait....I might give it a try, I have a bait box which had fermented hemp in it and can't get rid of the pong...The garlic will put paid to that i'm sure.

Hi Bill , some bloke on ebay is selling at £3.75 a tin and another auctioning at 0.99 plus 1.99 postage ! Are they taking the **** or what ?!

Don't tell my missus James...she'll be financing something or other from my stash !!

Chaps , save yourself some brass ! TESCO do a 340g can of SPAM for £1.35 (on special til sarurday ) Garlic oil 50ml £4.99 ( ebay free delivery ) this should do 10 tins of SPAM at least !
Do it yourself garlic spam for £1.85 a tin.

Thats Half price in my calculations !!!

The problem with all these suggestions about making your own is that unlike the tinned stuff the DIY meat will have the flavour put ON it, rather than cooked IN it.

This means that the flavour will quite quickly wash off the DIY stuff...it will not do that on the pukka meat, which will be leaching out flavour for as long as it is on your hook/hair.

Cheers, Dave.

I will have a word with my next door neighbour she owns a shop and works full time at a cash and carry to see if she could re-arm us all. If I can get some will deliver at cost but not sure there's any left in the country!

Last edited:
The problem with all these suggestions about making your own is that unlike the tinned stuff the DIY meat will have the flavour put ON it, rather than cooked IN it.

This means that the flavour will quite quickly wash off the DIY stuff...it will not do that on the pukka meat, which will be leaching out flavour for as long as it is on your hook/hair.

Two tins of standard meat in a blender with two cloves of garlic and two tablespoons of garlic oil.
Use gelatin to set it or compress and reheat as garlic spam meatloaf

Think i must have been a vampire in a former life. I cannot stand the smell of garlic, makes me wanna puke. I've had 2 tins in my bait fridge for 18 months. And got no intention of ever using it. However, i intend to keep it until an ex fishing buddy now living in Norfick comes to pay a visit. He swears by it, and will make a nice little suprise prezzy for him.

Back