• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Gardner hydro tuff

I'm just about to start using Sufix Duraflex on my recently-acquired Shimanos (usually 'pin and braid, but fancied a change of approach after many years). Has anyone on BFW used it? Either way - it's advertised as supple, with very low memory (a little like me). :rolleyes:

Hi Julian, would you say the Hyrdroflo is understated in breaking strain? As appears to be the case with the other Gardner lines, In the tackle box tests. Tia
Hi Jim.

I would mate, & have also been told by one of their consultants it's understated.

I've brought a couple of the GT HD spools just for a change, as I quite like the look of that line, but yet to fish with it.

But hydroflo is my bench mark.... 👍

Julian what Would you say 12lb Hydroflo true breaking strain would be? Mate
Hi Jim. I can't honestly answer that question, all I can say is that abrasion resistance is top drawer (from personal experience), casts really nicely & I can feel the weights down on my spots, I've had some decent specimen barbel on it in my time using it, love the fact its available down in lower 'breaking strains' 4lb to 18lb. I use it for my specimen chub fishing too. Comes in 300m bulk spools. Sinks well.

That's my experience with it buddy.

Don't want to confuse the issue further....but my 1st decent line I ever came across was the GR 60 years ago. And I used that for a good few seasons before hydroflo arrived.

It's like anything in fishing.... Everything you choose is down to personal preferences & more importantly for me... Actual rod time & experience Jim mate.

I'd be surprised if you don't get on with the hydroflo 😉👍

Last edited:
Good morning ppl. I did some tests at home 12lb hydro tryed to a bucket of water with a palomar knot still didn't snap with 14lb ov water in the bucket ..the 15lb I add upto 17lb ov water in and still never snapped ..I'm sure there would ov lifted more but my fingers getting cut off lol ...only line I use its awsome .

Good morning ppl. I did some tests at home 12lb hydro tryed to a bucket of water with a palomar knot still didn't snap with 14lb ov water in the bucket ..the 15lb I add upto 17lb ov water in and still never snapped ..I'm sure there would ov lifted more but my fingers getting cut off lol ...only line I use its awsome .
According to TB line test, the 12lb hydro tuff breaks at 18.44lb, you are getting there.

Back