• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Gardner hydro tuff

I’ve been using it in the 20lb for a savagely weedy carp lake and in 12lb on the Wye. It’s tough as old boots, sinks quite well and memory isn’t too bad. The last two of those points don’t make any difference when I’m using with a tight line for barbel. I really like it, circumstantially.

Haven't used it personally and will be sticking with ye olde Synchro XT unless proven otherwise - looks like very high diameter for the relative breaking strains so if abrasion performance is the issue why not just use a thicker mono of whatever you have current confidence in?
Failing that maybe consider a fluro mainline - I've been thinking about this for barbel as use 18lb fluro mainline on all my carp rods . . .casts like a pig (use a baitboat anyway for range) but sinks like a brick and has much better abrasion resistance than mono. No big chucks required for barbel fishing so could be the answer!

Haven't used it personally and will be sticking with ye olde Synchro XT unless proven otherwise - looks like very high diameter for the relative breaking strains so if abrasion performance is the issue why not just use a thicker mono of whatever you have current confidence in?
Failing that maybe consider a fluro mainline - I've been thinking about this for barbel as use 18lb fluro mainline on all my carp rods . . .casts like a pig (use a baitboat anyway for range) but sinks like a brick and has much better abrasion resistance than mono. No big chucks required for barbel fishing so could be the answer!

I think I said it on another thread but just for reference, diameter taken into account I feel the hydrotuff is far more abrasion resistant than the gr60 I used for 10 years.

I use synchro xt have done for years, carp to 55 in rivers in France and it has never ever let me down. Unless they stop it I will not change.

Hearing good things about this line , any users care to comment ?
Chris,
I’ve been using the 10lb BS for a number of years on the Trent. It casts OK, is as tough as old boots and stays on the spool well. I use 10lb as the Tackle Box line test shows the 12lb breaking at 18.4lb so work on the assumption that the 10lb will be about 14/15lb.
Regards
Bill

I have used the 15lb on my pike rods when I couldn't use braid. I found it OK. Seemed to cast a little better than 15lb GR60, but I was told by a pal that it because the diameter isn't accurately stated. So 20lb hydro-tuff would be the equivalent of 15lb GR60 (green).

Overall, I would say a no-nonsense line, a pretty good value, as it's a bit cheaper than GR60. A pal says it doesn't have as much stretch as GR60, although I didn't notice that tbh.

Hearing good things about this line , any users care to comment ?
Chris,
I've been using it for the last 2 seasons. I used to swear by GR60 but the Hydro tough is far superior.
Very abrasion resistant and doesn't curl up and hang like a broken spring.
You won't be disappointed.
Hope you're well and have a great Xmas.
John

Excellent line. Ive used it for heavy line applications in (from memory) .35 and .40 and like it. It is well under rated for breaking strain.

Ive just started using some Synchro XT in a lighter strain (.32 or .33) and am not convinced by it yet.....

Ive just started using some Synchro XT in a lighter strain (.32 or .33) and am not convinced by it yet.....
I used it in 18lb for a trip on a trip to France. I found it seems more prone to line twist than other monos I've used. Why that may be I couldn't say?

I use 12lb for most of my barbel fishing, 15lb if I’m fishing heavy and it’s really heavy flow/ lots of debris on the Trent. I had Fisk take me into rocks, trees and the nettles and briars on flooded river banks and haven’t had it fail on me yet….probably regret saying that now! Good value very tough and won’t let you down, sounds like my wife!

I use 12lb for most of my barbel fishing, 15lb if I’m fishing heavy and it’s really heavy flow/ lots of debris on the Trent. I had Fisk take me into rocks, trees and the nettles and briars on flooded river banks and haven’t had it fail on me yet….probably regret saying that now! Good value very tough and won’t let you down, sounds like my wife!
Fisky will be pleased with that, he'll be able to keep making feeders.

Back