• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Friendly barbel fishing match..to the death!

I don't think this is a very good example of fish care. Sorry to say and all that but it's a bit embarrassing isn't it? Not my idea of fun with respect.

Nee Noor Nee Noor... Oh my apologies. I take it all back. Drag em up the bank and drag em down again giving them a good rolling in it as you do. Fine display.

Nice to see Dave in good health, I remember watching him catch them big roach at Ibsley Bridge 20 years ago, also watched him make me a Centrepin. Nice to see him catching again, But there should have been a unhooking mat Tim,

Regards Ray Thorpe

Last edited:
The only item that appears to be missing is a keepnet!!!!
I was under the impression that BFW supported good fish care, this wasn't a shining example .
I thought the days of seeing numbers of barbel floating belly up down the River Severn in the evening were a thing of the past. I can see it happening on the Wye.

I've never been to the Wye.

Is the mud and grass on the banks of the Wye sharp, hence everyones reaction?

Funny, the grass and mud on the banks of the Ouse is pretty soft and I cant see it doing any damage to a fish, ever.

Nice video Tim, nice to see people having fun barbel fishing.

I've never been to the Wye.

Is the mud and grass on the banks of the Wye sharp, hence everyones reaction?

Funny, the grass and mud on the banks of the Ouse is pretty soft and I cant see it doing any damage to a fish, ever.

Nice video Tim, nice to see people having fun barbel fishing.

It's mostly stoney, a unhooking mat it really required, the Angler had one to the rear of him on the top of the bank, really should have been next to him, still can't get too sniffy, and thanks to the OP for showing us what we will be missing for 3 months.

Hi Ash,
glad you enjoyed the video. you'll be relieved to hear that there are no stones on the bank in this particular swim, so an unhooking mat is not required. If you care to look at one of my other videos, you'll see that I use a mat where stones are present.

Here's something for the detractors to ponder over;
Q. what's the worst thing you can do to harm a barbel in a river that suffers from otter predation?
A. catch it...

kind regards,
Tim

Hi Ash,

Here's something for the detractors to ponder over;
Q. what's the worst thing you can do to harm a barbel in a river that suffers from otter predation?
A. catch it...

kind regards,
Tim

Thats quite funny, then again some just wont get it!!

crimes committed

Thats quite funny, then again some just wont get it!![/QUOTE
i don't find it funny at all the guys disgrace i dont personally use a unhooking mat apart from when fishing club waters because i usually unhook them in the water! if i was to i certainly wouldn't be taking pics of a barbel gasping for breath on the bank for some ****e video!:mad:
what is big and clever about it?
my opinion for what it counts is to look after your catch and in my opinion this video teaches anglers the wrong methods:mad:

whether im right or wrong this video is teaching newbies wrong practices therefore needs my comments:( and i personally can't believe bfw can allow this practice to be advertised within these forums:mad

oh by the way jon i get it but i'd rather tarka eat my prey than some idiot damaging fish during a barbel match:mad:

Nice to see Dave Swallow again, well and fishing. Only time we met (and he didn't get my name) was when a youngster walked into his Custom Tackle, Christchurch, shop in the early-mid 1970s. I was living in Salisbury then, fishing like mad and just about scratching a living, having recently given up advertizing in the weekly AT and Mail Classifieds for "old centrepins" (and been inundated by replies, refusing all that I didn't need to fish), rocking up to Dave's place to find it and he swamped with old reels - Aerials, early Hardy Perfects and heaven knows what else, stuff I had recently refused - saying to him "Lovely old reels..." and buying a few token packets of hooks before hitting the road back up the Valley.

Last edited:
Hi Paul,
I think that must have been the shop in Moordown, that is now Bournemouth Fishing Lodge. As a youngster I lived just round the corner from the shop, and spent a great deal of time in there, not least because Dave's daughter was (and is) absolutely stunning.
I can happily report that Dave is alive and kicking, just like the barbel we caught in the "match"...

John,
many thanks for your constructive comments. I have taken them fully on board and decided to use rubber hooks in the coming season.

best wishes,
Tim

Hi Paul,
I think that must have been the shop in Moordown, that is now Bournemouth Fishing Lodge. As a youngster I lived just round the corner from the shop, and spent a great deal of time in there, not least because Dave's daughter was (and is) absolutely stunning.
I can happily report that Dave is alive and kicking, just like the barbel we caught in the "match"...

John,
many thanks for your constructive comments. I have taken them fully on board and decided to use rubber hooks in the coming season.

best wishes,
Tim

Hi Tim,

Enjoyed the vid, though I am not sure it was wise to put it up. With a name like Lennon, you were bound to get shot at :p:D

I hope those rubber hooks will be barb-less....otherwise it's sure to be another issue that rebounds on you :p

Cheers, Dave.

Back