• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fresh cup o' cha

Hi men,

Keith ,Have you noticed the good old Tea spoon is also being replaced with punched out sheet types. Ok for wizzing water round , but not measuring . Two spoons of coffee is just right for me , bit of cold water , then top up with hot to stop the burning oc the granules .

Sue carrys a gas stove , little 2 cup kettle , so the water must boil .

Hatter

Tea does need proper boiling water..........I use a small stove (MSR Pocket Rocket) and small Primus kettle, it absolutely amazes me though the people I meet, especially carp fishing who insist on putting milk in before hot water, then the brew never actually brews!!

Sheer madness, and they wont be told!!

You brew the tea in the pot. Add the milk to the mug.

The milk in first or after the tea is an important question. I was told that it is a class thing. Putting the milk in first and pouring the tea over results in a cooler cup of tea. Working class folks had short tea breaks so needed to put the milk in first. Posh people had longer to enjoy the tea so put it in after.

Personally I always add the milk first to the cup or mug and then pour the tea on it even though I have always had aspirations to the aristocracy. The brew time varies according to the type of tea. From a couple of minutes to up to five minutes. And. of course, the water must be boiling when added to the tea (and the pot warmed).

Coffee of course should be made with water at 95 degrees, so after boiling let stand for 30 seconds before adding it to the freshly ground coffee. If using instant coffee, then just chuck the coffee away and drink the water. Instant coffee is a plot by the USA and France et. al. to destroy all moral values in this nation, I am afraid. Have you ever noticed that whilst all the instant coffee companies are owned by French and American companies, neither nation drinks the muck themselves?

Last edited:
You brew the tea in the pot. Add the milk to the mug.

The milk in first or after the tea is an important question. I was told that it is a class thing. Putting the milk in first and pouring the tea over results in a cooler cup of tea. Working class folks had short tea breaks so needed to put the milk in first. Posh people had longer to enjoy the tea so put it in after.

Personally I always add the milk first to the cup or mug and then pour the tea on it even though I have always had aspirations to the aristocracy. The brew time varies according to the type of tea. From a couple of minutes to up to five minutes. And. of course, the water must be boiling when added to the tea (and the pot warmed).

Coffee of course should be made with water at 95 degrees, so after boiling let stand for 30 seconds before adding it to the freshly ground coffee. If using instant coffee, then just chuck the coffee away and drink the water.

Pete, I was talking about brewing with (brace yourself) teabags, can't be bothered with all that sieving personally....... :D

Last edited:
Pete, I was talking about brewing with (race yourself) teabags, can't be bothered with all that sieving personally....... :D
The horror, the horror............

The only Welsh I know is ARAF, which I understand means "No Speed Limit"

A brew kit is a required piece of kit for WBC members. Heavy fines for not being able to provide a brew when you have visitors on the bank. The only exception is Mike who's butler is expected to have the required kit.

And obviously my Latin is not up to much either, good job he did not try Greek, at least I listened a bit in Latin.

Personally, I find people spouting Latin as being extremely 'inconvenient'....'cos I don't understand a word of it :D:D:D

Cheers, Dave.
There you are. that's what happens after allowing Tea Bags, the education system is sent into decline. 30 years of Thatcher and Blair, you can't get a decent cup of tea, it rains all summer (except where it's needed for the rivers) and no one studies Latin any more.

Next, they will be serving larger and banning smoking in pubs......:(

fresh cup of cha

having moved up here from the greatest city in the world,{london} for you northen people north of watford i have had five years of tea making and have reduced the amount of gear needed to:2pints of water, fat free milk,cos of my heart,gas bottle ,thermal mug,spoon,now all i need is a barbel,well anything to pull my chain on the gt ouse five years nothing!!!!!!!!!

For afternoon fishing I prefer Darjeeling,
and then move onto Earl Grey for after dark! NO milk.
If I were to fish mornings I might be tempted with an Orange Pekoe

Back