• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fresh cup o' cha

Russ Shaw

Ok,

A bit of fun now... lighten things up a bit here :)

Actually, deadly serious as a good cup of riverside tea is not something to joke about.

If, like me, you get to the point where you are really desperate for a fresh cuppa and the contents of your flask are over 7 hours old and not particularly appealing then you may reach the point where you're considering a tea making kit instead.

I've been using one of these for about a year now...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jetboil-Fla...J906/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318865066&sr=8-1

Very light, neat and compact, everything fits inside the boiling compartment including the gas cannister. Boils in around two minutes. I slot it into my fishing bag with a bottle of water, supply of tea bags and a small container of milk.

Voila! Fresh tea all day!

As an extra bonus, Pot Noodles, packet soups, etc are virtually weightless so a win/win.

Now - to find a way to keep the milk fresh - hmmmmm....

Russ

Hi men ,

Costco , box of longlife milk , they come in thosse little one cup shots !!!, thats from someone who watches Sue make 6 cups a day;):p. She has a small rucksack , tiny kettle , weights nothing . I was looking at one of these for her .

Hatter

The best thing ever, always good to come off the river for twenty minutes every few hours and get a fresh cuppa, recharges the mind and body, i have been doing it for years with several pals....and good time to catch up on whats working for Ed,tony or myself. I would recommend it to anyone....And we have also done breakfast on the stove, nothing like freshly bacon sarnies...

trangia stove for me burns on a white spirit burner i cooked a full meal on one a few months back swiss army use them bit expensive but they last forever

I tend to travel light, by getting rid of all that fishing stuff and just taking the essentials
tea.jpg

Russ, Are you mad, a brew is not something to joke about, I ALWAYS drink Tea, but I don't always fish so my brew kit is far more important than bait and reels and all that non essential stuff!

I take a brew kit with Tea bags (I make allowances when I am fishing so I leave the leaf Tea and Tea pot at home), fresh Milk and water and I have a Carpoligy (Yes all right I know, don't start) kit containing two vacuum cups and all the other bits needed for a life saving brew, it even has a small pot with instant coffee in it, just in case I meet any Americans.

Tight lines, (which can only happen if you have a proper brew kit with you)!!

Last edited:
I take a brew kit with Tea bags (I make allowances when I am fishing so I leave the leaf Tea and Tea pot at home),

If I see you on the bank Keith I can rescue you from the dreaded Tea bag (I believe the decline of the British Empire stems entirely from these things). I usually have a choice of blends as well. :)

Great to see so many kindred spirits :)

Spot on Keith - a very serious matter this ;)

Thanks for the milk tip, Mark - could be just the thing.

Russ

kelly kettle for me in the winter, with those kenco 3in1 sachets. in the summer just a flask of boiling water and make a cup with the sachets on the bank, saves enduring that horrible brewed all day taste

I prefer to use a stove and kettle, but for short day sessions when i do take a flask I tend to use green tea. it tastes pretty much the same at the end of the day as it does at the start.

Pete, I shall look out for you, I too take a couple of blends, English Breakfast for the morning and a choice for the afternoon, I understand what you say about tea bags, their convenience has dealt a cruel blow to the development of mankind!

When I am fishing in Holland, cut off from civilisation by the North Sea and the Channel, I try hard to bring salvation to the locals, rather in the way of the missionaries of the past.

Slow as they are to see the light, I feel I am at last making some headway.

Tight lines.

a cooker of any kind is a bit extreme for me , unless you actually plan to cook on it ! ?:D

large flask of hot water for me , tea bags in the air tight platic box and small bottle of milk , job done

I fear you are fighting a long battle in Holland Keith....remember, you are talking about folk who eat raw herrings and onions as a take away :D

As for the tea, I still have various stoves and kettles left over from my carping...petrol, gas and spirit. I may just start taking some brewing kit if I get around to any longer sessions, because as said, this flask tea and coffee is dire stuff.

Cheers, Dave.

Hi men,

Tea - needs real boiling water , my coffee is two scoops of coffee , little bit of cold water , then top up with hot , this gives a better taste .

Hatter

Tea does need proper boiling water..........I use a small stove (MSR Pocket Rocket) and small Primus kettle, it absolutely amazes me though the people I meet, especially carp fishing who insist on putting milk in before hot water, then the brew never actually brews!!

Sheer madness, and they wont be told!!

Crooky, Are they aliens??

Tea NEEDS boiling water Coffee does not, in fact boiling water just burns the oils needed to get the intended taste, even those colonial chaps across the pond know that!!

While we on the subject, does anyone else get as seriously miffed as I do when (on the very extreme occasion and it is something I do only when totally desperate) you try and get a cup of Tea from a (Pete place your hands over your eyes now) vending machine, the bloody water is NEVER boiled!!!

We discussed vending machines in my office, the office manager was all for having one installed.
It never happened and I still find it surprising that no-one has found the body yet!!

Vending machine instant tea, yummy :)

We have one at work which actually gives you a tea bag, it is still not too god though!!

Back