• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Free spirit hi s 2.25 or torrix 2lb rods

Justin Martin

Just hoping for a bit of feedback before I buy I fish trent regularly and find my 1.75 infinitys a bit to soft so time for a change, generally the biggest feeder I useis 4oz but would like option of using more when needed just would ike to know if any of u guys use these and what u think of them
Many thks

Hi Justin
I have the Free Spirit but the Peregrine Flood rods beat it hands down.
Great for chucking 6ozs on T'Trent but with a lovely action.

Mate has a pair of Torrix and he swears by them, though he ain't got a Peregrine!

Martin

have thought about them but do quite fancy a change have been offered a pair of hi s for 370 in mint cond but have never had a play with one so would be a gamble if I liked it or not none of the local shops stock any of above rods have used the torrix in 1.75 and liked but found them a bit to soft had a 2lb torrix recently liked the blank but had a duplon grip which I really don't like

Get the torrix floods 2.5? Justin. From what I have seen they are lovely rods for the trent. Defo try any rod before you buy though.

Id recommend the Fox Fx duo lite specimen 2.75tc

mark tunley

The best rods in my opinion & many more is to have them made by mark tunley.Absolutely brilliant for throwing heavy feeders any distance.You won't be disappointed,give him a ring & tell him what you require,& get a weekly update on your rod builds progress.

I have had the free spirit you mention , I also own a torrix , 11ft 2lb

the fee spirit is not what I would call a power rod . lovely looking things with quite a through action , which I was a little alarmed at in the first instance , I actually sold it on due to this . I wouldn't recommend them for what you want

the torrix I own is a different tool though . I had it custom built by MT about 4 years ago . at the time I normally fished 2 rods with feeders or leads as standard . the torrix was built for wandering round with 1 rod , mainly touch ledgering . so this is much shorter in the butt section so that I can strike when seated and it clears my body and clothing

it can be used for standard style tip in the air fishing though and is a joy to use , will land anything that I will come across and extremely light too

friends have the more standard 12 ft 2lb torrix and that is a different rod altogether , its not even the same blank , this would be more suited to what you want I think

I have and use a pair of 12' 2lb torrix's on the tidal Trent, but I have smashed a top piece casting a heavy feeder. It cost me £50:eek: for a new top piece from Harrisons. When the River is in proper flood, I now use a pair of 3lb Carp rods I picked up cheap of ebay.

Mick

Incase you're looking for someone to throw a spanner in your works, have you considered the slightly cheaper Free Spirit Big River barbel rod, built on the S range blank as per their "seeker" range. To my mind this blank is better suited for barbel fishing where as they've never quite managed to catch as many barbel anglers with their Hi S rods, hence I believe they're trying to build/market a new Hi S barbel rod at the moment.

I can't comment on the freespirits but I have Torrix 2.5s (aka Torrix flood)...I would say the blank is overrated, more like 2.25 TC. I use them mainly for tenching at range with method feeders and carping, they do make very good big river / flood water barbel rods, however I don't think they are a patch on the Chimera 3s which are more forgiving in the butt, but will still cast 6 oz feeders with ease. They are outstanding rods. Torrix 2.5's lock up a bit quick for my preferences, although I haven't fished with a Torrix 2, I have handled them and they didn't suit my preference...seemed a bit tippy.

I had a freespirit hi-s big water rod custom built by mark tunley and it was more then up for the job with big feeders. Ian tucker custom rods is well worth a look top bloke and a good range of different rods you can choose from highly recommend him to any one

I've fished venues where 8ozs is needed under the rod tips !!
Admittedly, more due to the Chaff coming down than anything else !! And yes we caught !!!

Back