• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

For those who use bite alarms

I have never owned any sort of electronic bite indicator at all, so it might be unreasonable to condemn them. But for me it takes away the very essence of Angling, where just catching becomes the priority.

For John Bailey to use them in his series in the Footsteps of Crabtree was for me at that moment the loss of what the programme was, I guess supposed to portray, Angling with an innocence and a reflection into times gone by, and an escape from to-days electronic strangle hold that large corporate companies such as Apple Sony and others exploit in particular the 'Peters' of to-day.

So we have muddied the waters really, as to what the real gem of fishing really is, I discovered it as a kid, and so did most of you, and there was not a bite alarm, or bait boat to be seen anywhere. There was no cynical product placement in the only Angling paper at the time, the wonderful Angling Times where boyhood imaginations were further fueled by great stories that were penned by Walker and Co every week, and was simply unmissable, and was also an entry for many into English Literature, what a wonderful mixture :)

So at least I am grateful that I managed to pass on to my poor long suffering son's the real joy's of Angling before they were consumed by i pods and x box's, and to this day they tell me that there was nothing to touch trotting a red tipped float down a stream and having it dip and landing a greedy chub.
I think the mean it too:p

Bite alarms are just functional fish catchers.

Good luck.

"Keep it simple,thats my mantra, all you need is a rod a reel a line a hook".............and of course a film crew.

Barbel Fishing - YouTube

Nice piece Neil and great to put a face to a name. Congrats to young Rich, I hope that he got a good mark for his college work...:)

Thanks guy's for the nice comments:eek: Richard is now at Uni so I guess it may have helped, BTW the camera was just a SLR on video mode:)

Thanks for that ..not:eek:

That was meant to be a bit for my son's college work, I had no idea it was going to go on the 'net, I winced when he did that!!

Don't you ever do any real work? :)

Missed all this, been busy, you never seem to have enough time when you're retired.

I didn't search it out, I just saw it posted by a blogger on another site and thought it worthy of a wider audience.

The jet engine made the world a smaller place, the WWW has made it minuscule.
Those of us who have embraced it sometimes forget that what we post will not only be seen by our intimidate circle of cyber acquaintances, or friends, but will also be seen by anyone in the wider populace who happens to Google 'barbel'. Those who think otherwise are deluding themselves.

Missed all this, been busy, you never seem to have enough time when you're retired.

I didn't search it out, I just saw it posted by a blogger on another site and thought it worthy of a wider audience.

The jet engine made the world a smaller place, the WWW has made it minuscule.
Those of us who have embraced it sometimes forget that what we post will not only be seen by our intimidate circle of cyber acquaintances, or friends, but will also be seen by anyone in the wider populace who happens to Google 'barbel'. Those who think otherwise are deluding themselves.

Really ? and I thought you posted it up to make a point that I have a film crew following my exploits, :rolleyes: and for someone like me that dislikes electronic alarms it could have been deemed odd behaviour : It was purely a piece for his college work, the fact that you thought it was worth of airing on here is not lost on me, and I appreciate your sentiments. :)

I'm not denying there was an element of mischief on my part.:D

I must say though I don't understand this element of oneupmanship which is prevalent among the 'no electronic aids' side of this discussion.

My personal view of bite indication is use whatever is best for the type of fishing you are doing and I am reasonably comfortable, trotting a stick down a near bank crease, laying on under a bush or in a slow moving eddy, trotting a waggler or a heavy slider through the boat channel on the lower Severn, quiver tipping with a blockend feeder, up or downstream, rolling a lump of meat watching the line where it enters the water, touch ledgering and roving on the smaller rivers or even, heaven forbid, when fishing is secondary to the social side as more often than not these days it is, sitting it out for a couple of days bivvied up with the rods on a pair of Delkims.

The key for me is using the method of bite indication which suits the situation, conditions but most of all my mood at the time.

I must say though I don't understand this element of oneupmanship which is prevalent among the 'no electronic aids' side of this discussion.

My personal view of bite indication is use whatever is best for the type of fishing you are doing and I am reasonably comfortable, trotting a stick down a near bank crease, laying on under a bush or in a slow moving eddy, trotting a waggler or a heavy slider through the boat channel on the lower Severn, quiver tipping with a blockend feeder, up or downstream, rolling a lump of meat watching the line where it enters the water, touch ledgering and roving on the smaller rivers or even, heaven forbid, when fishing is secondary to the social side as more often than not these days it is, sitting it out for a couple of days bivvied up with the rods on a pair of Delkims.

The key for me is using the method of bite indication which suits the situation, conditions but most of all my mood at the time.

You had me going there, at least right up to the bit about the De De Del

Sorry I just can't bring myself to spit out that name on a Barbel Fishing Forum:)

Fortunately RTWAS does not allow bivvies or swims being hogged for days........

As ever

Hugo

I'll do what every I like....
I'm old enough and been fishing long enough to make my own mind up about how, where and when I fish.
:)

Steve

Steve,

I see you subscribe to the Bob James school of angling......................

BTW I have not received anything from Mr Frances yet regarding me becoming a moderator. Has my PM gone astray?

Steve,

I see you subscribe to the Bob James school of angling......................

Meaning?
An explanation would be nice.... because that could read that you are insinuating that I both support and take part in illegal out of season fishing....

BTW I have not received anything from Mr Frances yet regarding me becoming a moderator. Has my PM gone astray?

Is that question directed at me, or just a general musing?
If it is directed at me, what makes you think I'm privy to either yours or Mr Frances's PM's?

I guess you will have to direct your concerns about the missing PM to Mr Frances....

Back