• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fluorocarbon Hooklinks?

John Cook

Afternoon All,

One for you fluorocarbon hooklink fans, what are you using? Looking for a soft limp fluoro, any thoughts? I have been using the very low diameter Grand Max Soft Plus but after a couple of breakages am losing faith in it...Had a look at the trilene stuff very good price and seemed quite soft....

Any thoughts?

Flouro

I rate grand max John, but totally ignore the breaking strain ratings. For barbell I wouldn't go below 0.28. I currently have Trilene flouro as a main line on one of my reels and it seems OK (0.33 I think).

Nick C

Afternoon All,

One for you fluorocarbon hooklink fans, what are you using? Looking for a soft limp fluoro, any thoughts? I have been using the very low diameter Grand Max Soft Plus but after a couple of breakages am losing faith in it...Had a look at the trilene stuff very good price and seemed quite soft....

Any thoughts?

Hi
I was using the same to great effect but lost far too many fish to breaks just above the hook :(

I have just ordered this to give it a try

Partridge Fluorocarbon Fishing Line 100m | eBay

fingers crossed.

tried the lot and my fav. was Seaguar, but suffered a few mysterious break offs even on that so wont use flouro at all now.

Swapped over to Shimano Aspire Silk Shock and never looked back, ultra reliable and just as invisible as flouro.

John. As I have said before if you ca get some Gamma edge do so.

Im going to get some in from the US.
Graham

Never needed or used it really mono has been enough. I think that it's a confidence thing. Or trick. If you believe it works more power to you. But these beards aren't the cleverest fish. If you find them and get them to compete you will catch.

I use the Trilene, not had any problems with it

Rob what breaking strains are you using? I was looking at the 8lb.BS which i think was 0.28

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and replies...

Hi John, how are you chap? A few facts about fluoro as experienced by many...though you are no doubt already aware of them.

Pros

Sinks well

Difficult to see in water when new off the spool.

Cons

Thicker and stiffer than standard mono for any given B.S.

Attracts and gets coated by detritus in water, so the 'difficult to see' bit stops working quickly!

Sometimes snaps inexplicably in use...probably because it's brittleness means it doesn't knot that well, unless knots are perfect...and it is easily damaged by sharp objects.

I like it in heavy B.S's as a leader, but have given up using it for hook links. However, some see it differently no doubt :D

Cheers, Dave.

Hi
I was using the same to great effect but lost far too many fish to breaks just above the hook :(

I have just ordered this to give it a try

Partridge Fluorocarbon Fishing Line 100m | eBay

fingers crossed.

This is the same line as Grand Max Riverge. I like it and use it for trout, mullet and barbel in clear water with few snags. BS and knot strength is good other (stiffer) fluorocarbons have better abrasion resistance

Hi David hope that alls well with you? Have you wet a line down at your usual haunt?

Yes i know all the pros and cons regarding fluoro i seem to have tried many for hooklinks over the years some better than others but i seem to persevere and keep trying them...Sometimes though i think about going back to my old faithful hooklink which was Berkeley Xtra Limp clear.......

Are you guys using the fluoro knotless knotted for the hair rig or whipping on a braid hair? I found that some fluoro broke quite easily over the hook eye when using a straight or inturned eyed hook....Wont be using those low diameter materials anymore...

I mainly use ESP ghost too. i believe the problem with fluro breaking at the hook is more to do with the hook eye design, you need to experiment and find one that works for you. I found the Korum S series with the complete eye the best and am still using them , will need to find others when my supply runs out.

I am a fan of the grand max soft plus as a hooklength and have not experienced the problems the original poster is having. Although, I use it as a combi rig with a very short braid section actually tied to the hook and the fluro tied to the braid.

This seems to tie in with Cliff's assumption that the fluoro goes at the joint with the eye of the hook. I think a knotless knot does not work well with fluro.

Back