• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fluorocarbon Hooklinks?

i tried drennan double strength when it origionally came out, it was toaly unpredictive on knot strength and prone to snapping( the knots were carefully tied, checked ect) i tried it to give better presentation and expected casting capabilities:(:(:(
what i got was incosistant snapping of the line, curly ends near the business end
which must have been instantly recognised by the fish as line
never used the stuff since

Hi all,
I use ESP Ghost and Soft Ghost. I mostly use fluorocarbon on venues that full of crayfish or if smaller fish are a issue as it saves on tangles especially on the crays.
I've never been let down by either version of Ghost unlike some others I have tried.

Rich

i tried drennan double strength when it origionally came out, it was toaly unpredictive on knot strength and prone to snapping( the knots were carefully tied, checked ect) i tried it to give better presentation and expected casting capabilities:(:(:(
what i got was incosistant snapping of the line, curly ends near the business end
which must have been instantly recognised by the fish as line
never used the stuff since

I agree with the curling John,but cant say I have noticed a problem with Grinner knots with the stuff,but the adverse comments has got me worried especially as I have tied a load of new rigs. :)

Hi chaps,I use carp r us Clearwater I've had no problems over the years I've used it,I use pro gold clear for my nylon rigs. Good luck to all.

Is that Clearwater still available?

Yes John,it's still available but only on carp r us website I believe,when ever I've ordered from there I've had good service.

I ran over the suppleness / concealment years ago and the answer to me was a fluoro/braid combi link. Sunline dc sniper to practically any hook link braid has landed me hundreds of barbel. Have all your hooks tied up on 5 inch lengths and tie straight to the fluoro. None of that hassle tieing the rig complete every time if you have for example a Burred hook point.

Neil, the early stuff snapping wasnt just at the knots it was prone to just snapping once the line had been put under pressure ( at least the spools i had did but i am talking about the early stuff):)

Jon is that sunline sniper a stiff fluoro? Plus as mick asks are you using an albright knot? Is there much point using a combi rig with the softer limper fluoro's?

Jamie, thanks for that, Clearwater had a good reputation some time ago....

Jon is that sunline sniper a stiff fluoro? Plus as mick asks are you using an albright knot? Is there much point using a combi rig with the softer limper fluoro's?

Jamie, thanks for that, Clearwater had a good reputation some time ago....

Fluoro by nature is stiffer. Sunline fc is typical of most fluoro, but for me it's superb thinner than krystons which was the only other fluoro I ever used but better in every way.

That's interesting john, how do you connect the braid to the fluro?

Mick

I use a gardner braid combi. The lines in the back of my car but can't remember the name at the mo. On the trent I use 16 lb fc to a 20lb braid hook link. It's the albright up 6 and down 4 the way it came in.

Back