• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fluorocarbon hooklengths.

>> I tend to use different baits during a session and I like to be able to change between different hook links quickly.

Ah that makes sense.

If I'm using a hair rigged 20mm halibut pellet on one hook link, I'm not going to superglue a pair of elipse pellets on that same hair!

what clips

Stephen & Clive

Hi lads could you please tell me whose quick change clips and rubbers you are using??????

Be Lucky

try the new drennan quick change beads, ive had carp to 23lb on these and no problems at all ;)
they are on the new drennan site. :)

I'm not looking for self hooking properties, Barbel tend to do that quite adequately themselves. I like using long fluoro hook links in bright, clear conditions but I also like the supple properties of braid at the hook end, I called it a comb-rig because the components are the same, perhaps I should have said combi-rig style!

I don't like tying my hook links to swivels or rig rings like you've linked to. I tend to use different baits during a session and I like to be able to change between different hook links quickly. I'd had a couple part at the clip so I came up with a way of attaching them without the risk of snapping. I didn't have any rig rings to tie on the end of the hook link at the time.

Thanks for not being rude:rolleyes:

Over egging the pudding I reckon Bob:) Why over complicate things surely the less component / loops make for safer fishing so why do it?
I dunno you carpers:)

Last edited:
I tie the hooklength to the kwik link, call me old fashioned, stupid or whatever you like...but why the hell are people tying loops in their hooklengths to attach to a kwik link?????? :eek:

Here you go nice and complicated or simple whichever way you look at it.

Fluoro hook link with knotless knot to a swivel with double figure of eight - stiff lasso for pellet, stiff hair for boilie.

Amnesia in black to a swivel - cheap as chips - won't spook the fish that cannot see the line - any length you want - convential knots work fine.

Trigga link - 6in works for me - optional.

This rig can be changed very quickly and does not rely on clips, I do carry pretied hook lengths.

My reason for using this rig is the cost of fluoro and having to change almost everytime I catch a fish due to the abrasive qualities of the rocks in my local river.

I maybe the only one thinking this. And I don't want to appear rude, but what a ridicules over complicated rig that really is.
Not a true combi-rig and as such, not gaining any of its self hooking properties.
Not exactly gaining much in the way of 'invisibility, far to much braid for that....

I think its more a case of you caught a good un the other night; in-spite of your rig rather than because of it.

Rather than adding another piece of line to an already cluttered hook link, just tie/crimp one of these on the end:
http://www.korda.co.uk/products/view.php?id=96

:eek: for once Colin I agree with you about being over complicated . I just keep things nice and simple just like me

Thank you Stephen that looks a nice neat complete set up i will order some today:)

Fluoro attached to a small swivel with a grinner knot. This will pull through PVA bags / mesh with a stringer needle, and will attach to a quick clip easily with no damage.

2nd Derek's post

Grand max riverge, 14.5 or 20odd pound, it's lower diameter than most monos so you an step up breaking strain.

Are you sure it's the clip doing damage? I only ask because some fluoros can be temperamental with loop knots...

Just a thought

That's what I use, Darren. Great fluoro....and better than its successor (Soft something?)..... :)

Back