• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fluorocarbon hooklengths.

Bob Watson

Senior Member & Supporter
I've had them break at the kwik clip. It seemed to weaken the line when sliding them into the clip. I like using the kwik clips, either korda or any other make as they allow quick changes of hooklinks, so I came up with this.

IMG_0589.jpg

I like a long length of fluorocarbon in bright sunny conditions but I also like the suppleness of the braid so I use a long combi rig, I've just done the same at the kwik clip end with a braid loop. The clip doesn't damage the braid like the fluorocarbon.

A similar rig landed a decent fish the other night.

V Good

What Kwik clips are you using these?
kwik.jpg

I use this type with a sleeve pushed up and over the clip and never had a problem with a break.
clip.jpg

Yes, similar to the top ones, they damage fluoros when sliding the loop between the clip. I've looked at the lower clips you posted and envisaged the tubing sliding down and the hooklink slipping off.

Probably paranoia on my part but you know what us anglers are like!

I have in the past used the gemini genie clips attached to the end of the hooklink and these then clip on to the swivel which replaces the kwik clip. I just thought there was too much metal work.

Bob I use the bottom one and have never had the rubber sleeve slip down. Infact if you buy the right ones to fit the clip they do acctualy take a quite a bit of getting off when you want it off.

Very true Stephen solid.

Have either of you used these with fluoro? If so what brand?

I've been using the maxima leader material in 5kg test. Apart from the above issues it's good stuff.

I tie a combi link with ESP Soft Ghost in 12lb and 15lb bs and have never had any problems although if you have no problems with the knots you tie on your combi I cannot see a problem with your rig. I think its quite inventive.;)

Have either of you used these with fluoro? If so what brand?

I've been using the maxima leader material in 5kg test. Apart from the above issues it's good stuff.

Bob,
I've been using the 'bottom' quick clip (Korum Version) for the past 3 years with no problems. I also use the appropraite Korum rig sleeves and have never had on pull off.
From what I can see the advantage is that there is a gap to slide the hooklink loop through so there is no contact between the clip and line when attaching so you get no damage to the line unlike the 'top' version were the line slides between the two sides of the link when attaching and probably abraids the line. I tend to use the 'top' links to attached feeders to the lead clip.
I use both Drennan Sinkbraid or Incognito Fluorocarbon - 7lb, 9lb & 11lb depending on what I am fishing for with no problems.

Michael

Clive, I've got soft ghost in my Carp gear in various bs. Never even thought about sticking it in my Barbel box.

Esp Ghost is an excellent hooklink and the soft ghost is equally as good, I use it with their clip links and helicopter rig sleeves, works well and kicks the hooklink away from the lead.

Tom.

Grand max riverge, 14.5 or 20odd pound, it's lower diameter than most monos so you an step up breaking strain.

Are you sure it's the clip doing damage? I only ask because some fluoros can be temperamental with loop knots...

Just a thought

Last edited:
I use esp and Korda quick clips with fluoro and i have never had a problem, might be an idea to look at your knot.... two turns round the clip works wonders with fluoro and mono too.

It's not breaking at the knot, the couple of times it's happened it was where the loop got "stressed" by the clip. If I'd let it happen more than a couple of times I think it would be fair to call me stupid :D

Jon, if I was going to tie my hooklinks on I'd use a swivel. I think it's defeating the point of using a kwik link to tie them to one ;)

I maybe the only one thinking this. And I don't want to appear rude, but what a ridicules over complicated rig that really is.
Not a true combi-rig and as such, not gaining any of its self hooking properties.
Not exactly gaining much in the way of 'invisibility, far to much braid for that....

I think its more a case of you caught a good un the other night; in-spite of your rig rather than because of it.

Rather than adding another piece of line to an already cluttered hook link, just tie/crimp one of these on the end:
http://www.korda.co.uk/products/view.php?id=96

I'm not looking for self hooking properties, Barbel tend to do that quite adequately themselves. I like using long fluoro hook links in bright, clear conditions but I also like the supple properties of braid at the hook end, I called it a comb-rig because the components are the same, perhaps I should have said combi-rig style!

I don't like tying my hook links to swivels or rig rings like you've linked to. I tend to use different baits during a session and I like to be able to change between different hook links quickly. I'd had a couple part at the clip so I came up with a way of attaching them without the risk of snapping. I didn't have any rig rings to tie on the end of the hook link at the time.

Thanks for not being rude:rolleyes:

I agree Colin.

I don't even use those loops. It takes a minute to tie a hooklength to a swivel. I don't see a benefit to threading PVA up the hooklink in flowing water - just hook it on.

But that's just me, I've always been a "wrong 'un"... Live and let live and all that. :)

Back