• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Float Rod Problem

Keith Speer used Reflo powerline mainline and for hooklinks. Mainline about 7lb BS.
There's a good article by him in the archive.

All Keith ever put on his rods was furniture polish, Mr sheen/pledge. Doing this a couple of times a year is all you need along with the odd rap on the rod butt when it's raining.
His diaflash still has the rings it was supplied with as well. They haven't been changed, I just checked it.

Hi Mike. Sorry if what I said sounded a bit spikey - it wasn't intended as a criticism. After my last session on a drizzly day I was really frustrated and was all ready to ring around for quotes for a new set of rod rings and then I thought let me see if there is another (cheaper) way to sort this out cos I'm sure I remembered reading of ways to stop line sticking to your rod in the 70's but I couldn't remember what they were. I'm sure the rings are a key factor because other rods I have with rings that stand-off more do not give me the same problem.

No problem Neil . You never know Mr Sheen may yet come to the rescue , got to be worth a squirt hasn't it . I fish a lot with vintage cane rods , biggest problem with them is not the stand off from the blanks but the fact that they never put enough rings on when first manufactured and the line does stick to the cane when wet, it's infuriating . I usually end up re ringing the top and middle sections on 3 piecers and fit more rings which usually cures it .

Success- Mr Sheen comes to the rescue. Had a short session this afternoon/evening and no problem with the line sticking. It wasn't raining today but I dipped the rod in the water and it wasn't a problem. Also caught a barbel on float fished hemp which gave me a chance to see how the rod performs - very impressed, its a keeper.:)

As an ex match angler the only polish I ever used was pledge, and still is....
The reason is is that pledge is beeswax based, whereas Mr sheen is a synthetic.
The added bonus of using a wax polish is that the wax fills any tiny scratches in the surface so prolonging the life of the rod.
As for lines...... still use Maxima on my 506’s
Bomb proof, the reason for that is that the new lines are too thin and therefore more susceptible to damage and abrasion.
Just my opinion after 45 years on the bank.

Back