• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Float Rod Problem

Neil Kirk

I have been having problems with the line sticking to the blank on a float rod that I have been using - particularly in wet weather.- making trotting very difficult

The rod in question is a Shimano Diaflash 390H 13 ft rod which was recommended to me by Keith Speer and it is a lovely responsive rod though not particularly suited to barbel.

The rings on the rod do not stand off the blank to the same extent as on modern rods and I am finding the problem with the line sticking to the blank so irritating that I have considered having the rod fitted with a new set of rings or just selling it.

Is there any other way of sorting out this problem ?

Neil

Hi Neil
You could try some car wax i seem to remember a mate doing it some years ago!! if not i'm sure Bob Gill will have the answer.

Dave

I had an idea that I had read about some spray on solution to this problem in th 70's/80's but when I searched the internet - nothing!

I will give it a try and let you know.

Thanks

Neil

Last edited:
Neil,
there are a few things I've heard of people using over the years. Diamondbrite, silicone shoe shine sponges, Armour All and Son Of A Gun are all products I've seen mentioned recently.

I bought some stuff called Rain-X for the car windscreen once Neil, the rain just beaded and ran off very quickly. Maybe that would work?

Just be careful that whatever you use doesn't contaminate your line.

Incidentally, it worked ok on the car until the frosts came, and that made a mess that was hard to remove so I ditched it.

I use Armour All on my floating fly lines and it certainly makes a difference. If it is safe on fly lines it should be ok on mono.

It is used to treat car interiors so Halfords is your best source.

I'm a little confused now.

Some people seem to be talking about cleaning the rod and then finishing it with silicone furniture polish and some people seem to be talking about treating the line to stop it sticking.

Should I do both?

Neil

if you want your line to float better yes, I use mucilin silicon on my line, very cheap and as you apply it you clean your line as well. I did try the spray on floatants but found mucilin much better

Neil,
I do very little on rivers other than trotting. Beyond keeping both rods and lines as clean as possible, I don't treat either with anything. If a line needs treating to float properly, I simply don't use it.

Waxing the rod would help a bit but ultimately I think you would need to fit different rings on the rod .i.e. ones that stand away from the blank further , perhaps with a bigger bore [ internal diameter] and or more rings than are on the rod currently . With regard to the bore of the rings if you were using fairly thick line with a relatively narrow bore that would have a detrimental effect as well but reading the original post it is line sticking to the rod blank that is your main problem so suggestions 1 and 2 would be my solution

Out of interest Chris, what line do you favour ?

For quite a few years I used Ultima Flo-Cast. When that disappeared, I experimented with Silstar/WB Clarke Matchteam, Drennan Floatfish, Kamasan Bayer Perlon and braid. At the moment, since it first appeared last year, I'm using Dave Harrell Pro Float. It's on all the reels I use regularly for running water float fishing.

Hi Mike, the reason I asked this question is that Keith Speer recommended this rod and didn't say "Great rod but you need to put a new set of rings on it". Sadly Keith is no longer around to ask but I have seen video footage of him on the Avon at Britford using the rod and catching loads of fish -Keith was a brilliant float angler and I'm sure he wouldn't have hamstrung himself with a rod with an inbuilt problem so I sought another solution.

I intend to have a trotting session this week so will update on whether the furniture polish solution works.

Neil

Like to help but every time I fished with Keith on the Thames or Britford he used either a Microlite or Titan 2000.

Miss him. And his glorious laugh.

Hi Mike, the reason I asked this question is that Keith Speer recommended this rod and didn't say "Great rod but you need to put a new set of rings on it". Sadly Keith is no longer around to ask but I have seen video footage of him on the Avon at Britford using the rod and catching loads of fish -Keith was a brilliant float angler and I'm sure he wouldn't have hamstrung himself with a rod with an inbuilt problem so I sought another solution.

I intend to have a trotting session this week so will update on whether the furniture polish solution works.

Neil
Hello Neil . As you stated in your original post you have considered fitting a new set of rings to try and overcome the problem you are experiencing . I was only making a suggestion to try and help , I hope the furniture polish approach does the trick , clearly cheaper than fitting a new set of rings

Neil,
I do very little on rivers other than trotting. Beyond keeping both rods and lines as clean as possible, I don't treat either with anything. If a line needs treating to float properly, I simply don't use it.

Pretty much think the same Chris, when I clean my line though I feel it helps if I'm adding to keeping it frictionless through the rings and also helping it pick up off the water on the strike.

I watched Clive Branson fishing the Wye in Hereford on the bolo and he said mucilin defintly helps line lift off the water on the strike.....very good float angler so I copied him:) it's that last few feet above the float that's important he told me.

Back