• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Float rod for Trent barbel

Recently bought the 15 ft Accy Specimen as I was missing a 15 power in my collection.It was down to a choice of either the Daiwa conny or the Acolyte.
Chose the Drennan being 34 grams lighter,the conny power advertised at 221 grams.Love the versatility of the new accy.Still swapping reels around to a balance I'm happy with.Weighed mine at 187 g.

Last edited:
Richard, have you got the new Acolyte Specimen now ?
No I had a quick play with Chris’s 13 and 15 and a bit of a longer play and some line through another friends 15ft version but like I said above, I have not had enough to be able to comment properly on them.

They do feel extremely nice indeed
No point me rushing to buy one and probably same for yourself Cliff. They are near on identical in weight action and power to those TSI’s we’ve got imo.

Recently bought the 15 ft Accy Specimen as I was missing a 15 power in my collection.It was down to a choice of either the Daiwa conny or the Acolyte.
Chose the Drennan being 34 grams lighter,the conny power advertised at 221 grams.Love the versatility of the new accy.Still swapping reels around to a balance I'm happy with.Weighed mine at 187 g.
Went and bought a 15' Acolyte Specimen today. The Future Fishing piece on YouTube convinced me I needed one in my life! It probably won't get a trip out while next season though.

Went and bought a 15' Acolyte Specimen today. The Future Fishing piece on YouTube convinced me I needed one in my life! It probably won't get a trip out while next season though.
I am sure you will not be disappointed. I have only had the opportinity to use mine for chub fishing on the Nene so far but I have had a couple 5lbs+. The true test will be comparing side by side with my Free Spirit 15ft Hi-S. One noticable feature is the faster tip which enables the float to reach the same distance with less effort. More of a "flicking" action if that makes sense.

No I had a quick play with Chris’s 13 and 15 and a bit of a longer play and some line through another friends 15ft version but like I said above, I have not had enough to be able to comment properly on them.

They do feel extremely nice indeed
No point me rushing to buy one and probably same for yourself Cliff. They are near on identical in weight action and power to those TSI’s we’ve got imo.
People often seem to say that the Acolyte Plus is a good all rounder. I wonder how well the Specimen version copes? Have you ever tried the TSi for smaller species?

One noticable feature is the faster tip which enables the float to reach the same distance with less effort. More of a "flicking" action if that makes sense
I reckon you’d love a spliced tip if you have not already got one John
That flicking action is in both the cast and strike is massively enhanced further

People often seem to say that the Acolyte Plus is a good all rounder. I wonder how well the Specimen version copes? Have you ever tried the TSi for smaller species?
I’ve only caught chub on it.
It would be fine for fish under a couple pounds but I’ve got much better rods for that sort of game so I wouldn’t go out and specifically try.

In fact I’m going to be a bit bold here and hazard a guess that the TSI is probably the better rod over the accy
Not a full on statement until I’ve had a proper go with one (hopefully John Newmans 😜) but based on the fixtures and fittings it’s definitely better.

The tsi are fitted with Fuji IPS seats (best float reel seat bar none) and Fuji SICguides
The handle is also shorter than other float rods which I like too. There’s always too much meat on the back end of float rods

I am sure you will not be disappointed. I have only had the opportinity to use mine for chub fishing on the Nene so far but I have had a couple 5lbs+. The true test will be comparing side by side with my Free Spirit 15ft Hi-S. One noticable feature is the faster tip which enables the float to reach the same distance with less effort. More of a "flicking" action if that makes sense.
Will be Interested to learn what comes out of the full comparison John

While there’s an active float fishing / float rod thread…

I have an interesting rod, it’s a Hi-S 12ft Special float rod.

Factory built, I bought it from Birmingham Angling Centre a couple of years ago and suspect it was old stock.

It’s a modern Hi-S build but I can’t find any info on it. I suspected it was a 12ft Special Power float rod but the ‘Power’ is missing from the graphic and the writing on the rod bag. It’s also a noticeable step down in blank diameter and power from my 15ft and 13ft versions too.

Anyone got any info?

I’ve only ever used it for coarse lake fishing with my young son.

While there’s an active float fishing / float rod thread…

I have an interesting rod, it’s a Hi-S 12ft Special float rod.

Factory built, I bought it from Birmingham Angling Centre a couple of years ago and suspect it was old stock.

It’s a modern Hi-S build but I can’t find any info on it. I suspected it was a 12ft Special Power float rod but the ‘Power’ is missing from the graphic and the writing on the rod bag. It’s also a noticeable step down in blank diameter and power from my 15ft and 13ft versions too.

Anyone got any info?

I’ve only ever used it for coarse lake fishing with my young son.
Have a word with Roger Hurst at RH Rods

In fact I’m going to be a bit bold here and hazard a guess that the TSI is probably the better rod over the accy
Not a full on statement until I’ve had a proper go with one (hopefully John Newmans 😜) but based on the fixtures and fittings it’s definitely better.

The tsi are fitted with Fuji IPS seats (best float reel seat bar none) and Fuji SICguides
The handle is also shorter than other float rods which I like too. There’s always too much meat on the back end of float rods
The Acolyte Specimen also comes with Fuji SIC guides and a Fuji DPS reel seat which I prefer as it means particuly when using a centre pin your hand is gripping cork and not reel seat.

The Acolyte Specimen also comes with Fuji SIC guides and a Fuji DPS reel seat which I prefer as it means particuly when using a centre pin your hand is gripping cork and not reel seat.
It’s fitted with a kdps reel seat which are ok but you are not gripping cork where the reel is fitted
An IPS seat the cork covers the area where the reel is fitted so your hand really is just holding cork.
The guides are just SIC guides. Not Fuji.

I’m only nitpicking anyway. Acolyte rods are superb in my veiw and the fittings are perfectly fine for use.
The small differences between the seats are just my preference. You don’t ips seats fitted as standard often but I do really love em when I comes to using with a cpin

Back