• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Flask

Thermos king is better than owt I've ever used by a distance. Had one for about 10years and Use it pretty much everyday and still going strong.
I've you fill it with hot water from the tap at night and leave the top off to soak at night the water in the morning is incredibly still warm.

A word of advice here. I have several "old" proper Thermos flasks, any one of which is in daily use on walks, as well as for fishing. But the least used one developed a leak. It is the silicone seal washer/thingy that has deteriorated, all other flasks ok.

I emailed Thermos with the model number (moulded on the base, along with the name Thermos). I received a reply that it is not a Thermos product but a Stanley, odd that.

I emailed Stanley and included the text of the first email plus some photos. I received a reply that they don't sell spares.

So bottom line is, to be honest, I'm peed off having a now unuseable flask - yes only one flask but unhappy not to be able to fix it just for the lack of a spare seal.

The advice? try and get a spare seal before your flask is deemed "too old".

Nothing will beat a yeti.
You can beat a yeti but with deep pockets.
Stanley master series will keep hot/cold/ice for longer than anything else out there. Even the 750ml bottle is good for 30hrs.

I’m not referring to the Stanley green stuff. That’s rubbish imo, I’m referring to the black stuff. It’s brilliant although it is really expensive when you can get a thermos king for 1/3 of the price and they are very good too

Over the years I reckon I've owned just about every type of flask going. They are all much of a muchness imo. I've never use them these days either at work or on the bank. Not since investing in a Jetboil Flash which is quite simply one of the best bit of kit I've ever bought. I can make a brew in less than 2 mins (that's setting up and boil time). And it hardly takes up any space. Everything I need is contained in a Speero brew kit bag which is 28 x 20 x 16cm. And includes a insulated compartment to keep the milk fresh. Using the smaller 100g fuel canisters which the more expensi size, it works out at about £0.20p per brew.

I beg to differ, how long have you been using it ?
Iv had yeti products a few years for different things mainly holding meat. I cook bbq and sometimes briskets take 15 hours plus so need to hold them at temp for hours until serving. A yeti cooler will comfortably hold brisket at the same temp for hours on end. Obviously not a hot drink but same goes a yeti will hold your hot drink for as long as needed same with keeping them cold. Iv used different coolers and flasks to do this and yeti by far out performs them. You might be able to get something better but Iv never found it.

Iv had yeti products a few years for different things mainly holding meat. I cook bbq and sometimes briskets take 15 hours plus so need to hold them at temp for hours until serving. A yeti cooler will comfortably hold brisket at the same temp for hours on end. Obviously not a hot drink but same goes a yeti will hold your hot drink for as long as needed same with keeping them cold. Iv used different coolers and flasks to do this and yeti by far out performs them. You might be able to get something better but Iv never found it.
Yeti cool boxes are generally regarded as the best bar none. Not cheap though!

Yeti cool boxes are generally regarded as the best bar none. Not cheap though!
Tbh why is a flask of tea or coffee gonna last 30 hours. It would be gone by then. I use yeti cups mainly to drink cold drinks, and ice lasts in there refill after refill. I just use a tiny stove when I’m fishing and a titanium cup for hot drinks.I don’t really wanna carry a huge flask. Yeti coolers are a differnt ball game they are basically a fridge if you wanna do long sessions. Plus they are pretty much bomb proof.

Can't recommend anything other than the thermos. It's the only one I use for work & fishing. Dropped it a few times and still going strong.... Its developing a character now, bit like Terry Hearns yateley kettle 😂

Yeti has been a good investment for me there customer service is also blinding I had a replacement cooler sent in 24 hours no questions after I sent photos

Like some on here I've owned many flasks over the last fifty years or so. I am now settled on the Stanley ( green ones) I don't need them to keep my water hot for 30 hours as I don't drink "hot" drinks usually tepid ones but I need the water hot enough to brew a tea bag. I no longer put milk in my flasks just hot water as I don't like having to clean the flask out.

Having said I am settled on Stanley the downside is as already mentioned you can't get spare seals or stoppers which is appalling really given that the flasks are not cheap. Having said this, two years ago I needed a stopper and as luck would have it I was in a shooting/angling shop and spoke to the manager who promptly went to a new flask took the stopper off and passed it to me free of charge, payment was offered but he wouldn't take it! As I browsed the shop I heard him speaking to his supplier and he ordered a " few stoppers" plus other items. I left the shop having bought some unwanted line as a gesture and thanked him again. So the mystery of Stanley spares is still a mystery.

For my short sessions I just use a cheap Asda flask which is more than suitable for my simple needs!

I realise that this post has actually helped nobody 😂

After the above post, I decided to set myself another needless challenge so I contacted Stanley to check their spares policy/after sales care which appeared as a bit of a mystery.

An email was sent on the 19/10/23 and a few days later they replied, confirming that they do not sell/carry spares ( which I still think is odd) but that because the flask carries a lifetime guarantee that they will honour this, all I had to do was provide proof of purchase and other requested details which they listed. My proof of purchase was long gone but I provided the other details and duly sent them off.

Several weeks later I had not heard anything so sent them another e mail chasing the previous mail, they replied and asked me to resubmit my original details, these were sent off again. Last Monday 4th I received a coupon to spend on a new flask all I had to do was pay £4.95 p&p which was paid, on arrival back from an embarrassing football match yesterday I found a note behind the door confirming I had a parcel in the paper bin and hey presto a brand new flask.

We now own four Stanley flasks ! I still think not being able to provide a replacement stopper very odd but if you quote their lifetime guarantee when needed you could come out with success.

After the above post, I decided to set myself another needless challenge so I contacted Stanley to check their spares policy/after sales care which appeared as a bit of a mystery.

An email was sent on the 19/10/23 and a few days later they replied, confirming that they do not sell/carry spares ( which I still think is odd) but that because the flask carries a lifetime guarantee that they will honour this, all I had to do was provide proof of purchase and other requested details which they listed. My proof of purchase was long gone but I provided the other details and duly sent them off.

Several weeks later I had not heard anything so sent them another e mail chasing the previous mail, they replied and asked me to resubmit my original details, these were sent off again. Last Monday 4th I received a coupon to spend on a new flask all I had to do was pay £4.95 p&p which was paid, on arrival back from an embarrassing football match yesterday I found a note behind the door confirming I had a parcel in the paper bin and hey presto a brand new flask.

We now own four Stanley flasks ! I still think not being able to provide a replacement stopper very odd but if you quote their lifetime guarantee when needed you could come out with success.
Did you have to send the old flask back?

I had to smile when I read this thread. Years ago I watched "Passion for Angling" (didn't we all!) and in one episode Chris Yates was using a Kelly Kettle. I thought to myself "I have to get one of those". I took it on my annual barbel fishing trip with my mates. I never heard the last of it! I asked for a supply of dry twigs to keep it going and was brought huge logs and branches of trees. I boiled water for about 2 cups of tea before having to start the whole process again! Now every year I go on the annual trip I'm asked "Where's the Kelly Kettle then?" 😂

Back