• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fixed spool reels for float fishing

I have 2 reels I use for trotting...Daiwa TDR 2508 for general lighter work (Roach, Chub etc) and a Stradic 4000 ci4 which I’ve only recently got for heavier work (yet to catch a Barbel on but plenty of Chub). Clutch on both are superb, and the main benefit when trotting is the ease of finger control because the rod to spool gap is not too great, this is the case for both reels I find!

Are you talking about the older reels Graham, new are completely out of my price range, thinking up to about £50

You could have a punt.

All of my 3 I bought 2nd hand for about 50. Each
I find the 4000 a bit heavy.

Diawa Ninja 3012 - a lot of reel for little money

I have 2 reels I use for trotting...Daiwa TDR 2508 for general lighter work (Roach, Chub etc) and a Stradic 4000 ci4 which I’ve only recently got for heavier work (yet to catch a Barbel on but plenty of Chub). Clutch on both are superb, and the main benefit when trotting is the ease of finger control because the rod to spool gap is not too great, this is the case for both reels I find!
I was thinking about that,the rod to spool gap,best to have a look at a few i suppose

I love a closed face for general trotting but the trouble is closed face reels often do not seem to have the winding power for barbel although I think the ABU 507 has better gearing. You might try a Drennan series 7 floatfish - quite a few cheap on Ebay atm. Then the following season based on experience you could splash some cash. Depending where you are fishing I use a centre pin a lot - match aerials or Okuma Sheffield but these are probably out of your current price range.

I love a closed face for general trotting but the trouble is closed face reels often do not seem to have the winding power for barbel although I think the ABU 507 has better gearing. You might try a Drennan series 7 floatfish - quite a few cheap on Ebay atm. Then the following season based on experience you could splash some cash. Depending where you are fishing I use a centre pin a lot - match aerials or Okuma Sheffield but these are probably out of your current price range.
I do have a rapidex i was given a few years ago,but not easy to cast with and not very keen on wading to be honest

The old Shimmy super aero match or the HS were Superb little trotting reels.
essentially they were naked GTMs but much more balanced on lighter rods not having the double handles or fighting drag.
getting tougher to find now but when they do come up £50 seems to cover them well.

The more common aero match’s or match 3 reels you see weren’t the same as they had plastic bushes instead of bearings making them wobble a bit.
the best ones were the super aero match.
they are like hens teeth now mind.
here’s a HS below and these were very good.
BC9E7005-0F07-4D85-A1A7-BD6D83411470.jpeg

Last edited:
Yep, as @Richard Isaacs says...the Shimmy Match reels are brill. Don't know about plastic bushes etc, but I've got four of them knocking about and I've had zero problems with any of them. They're solid, and good for long trotting to ~50m IMO.
Some of them had a white plastic bush pressed into the case where the handle goes through and the posher ones had bearings. Over time you could get a bit of wobble with those bushes. It was never a big deal mind as the cases were generic and the bearings are common as muck. You could pop out that Bush and upgrade it in seconds with a bearing.

I’ve got one still with a bush.
it’s fine at the moment. Not as smooth as my super but perfectly fine.
if you take off the handle and look in the opposite side where the cap was you’ll see it’s either bush or bearing.

Bush
39A9D788-65CD-4520-817C-600629759414.jpeg

Bearing.
F12DD06D-C50E-4FDD-91E6-F1CC07838460.jpeg

I used to use a Shimano Aero match reel which I stupidly gave away when I concentrated more on the fly fishing 😮
I've been using a drennan 7 series and it's been a nice reel. But I went to a Cadence show in Bridgnorth on tuesday night and made use of their BOGOF offer. I purchased a pair CS8 reels in 3000 and 4000 size, the latter is going to be used on my new 14ft trotting rod.
Feel great quality.
20200307_103927.jpg

I used to use a Shimano Aero match reel which I stupidly gave away when I concentrated more on the fly fishing 😮
I've been using a drennan 7 series and it's been a nice reel. But I went to a Cadence show in Bridgnorth on tuesday night and made use of their BOGOF offer. I purchased a pair CS8 reels in 3000 and 4000 size, the latter is going to be used on my new 14ft trotting rod.
Feel great quality.View attachment 10304
Swanky them 👌💥

Back