• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Fishing prolific Rivers

The Wye gives you a real boost after a couple of barbel blanks on my local rivers so looking forward to next weekend ....!:)

hope you have a fantastic time gary the wye is a lovely river great scenery
I Fished at lower lydbrook and even the canoes were not to bad

Alan

There has been days when i have caught over 20 barbel in an afternoon, its hard graft, even days after I have still been aching. Yes sometimes its too easy, then again someone else can fish that area and barely catch anything and that goes down to application. If I have a good day, the next session I give myself a challenge, and this is what I use myself to improve on what I know.
I think by catching multiples of fish improves you no end, you find out so much about how you apply yourself, If your tackles up to it, how good your bait is, etc etc. But doing it every session catching loads and not learning, well thats just not fishing in my book.

hi all, having never caught more than 6 barbel in a session and suffering on my local rivers at the moment, i think you should just enjoy it while you can. if your catching those kind of numbers every time then you may need to target less heavily populated areas where the fish are of a higher average size. but in the end if your enjoying yourself, keep going as that is what it's all about,
cheers, leon

Oh Lord, how I need a couple of days on the Wye! 20 years ago you could have 20 or 30 barbel out of the Kennet and now it's a fish a trip!

Any invites to the Wye greatly appreciated........

Oh Lord, how I need a couple of days on the Wye! 20 years ago you could have 20 or 30 barbel out of the Kennet and now it's a fish a trip!

Any invites to the Wye greatly appreciated........

And you'r complaining Neil :eek:.....I wish I could look forward to a 'fish a trip' where I fish :p

Any invites to the Kennet greatly appreciated......:D:D:D

So far this season I've only fished venues where a brace of barbel would be considered a good session. However, last night I fished a different venue that is more prolific and found it most amusing when a very pleasant chap told me when packing up that he had had a rubbish session as he'd 'only' had four barbel. Guess it's all down to personal expectations and can see that on the more prolific venues that it can become a numbers game if you're not careful.

I agree I travel with friends to fish the Wye several times of the year. It is a tonic from the Thames and Kennet and a pleasure to have a social day, in beautiful surroundings and catch during the day. It provides a Barbel fix and boosts the numbers each year. We take t for what it is and appreciate it could change in years to come. There is equal pleasure in fishing hard for one large fish off the Kennet.

Variety is the 'spicy prawn boilie' of life!

I'm lucky enough to be surrounded by miles and miles of the middle Severn, most of which hardly sees an angler after the first couple of months of the season. I've done the numbers thing for years but in the last couple of seasons find myself drawn more ans more to much more difficult waters to the east where your next bite might be a 17+.
I think it's all about change as much as anything else.

When I was younger we learnt how to match fish on our local canal, it was hard work to say the least but when we got on someware a bit easier, we caught better than most! I have recently changed to fishing for barbel concentrating on one stretch (which Ive just descovered is known to be hard) averaging one fish per visit I see every one as a result!
I'm not saying a wouldnt be glad of catching 20+ fish (didnt get 20 last season!) but from a learning point of view I'm learning more by not catching!

Karl

I'm learning more by not catching!

I can understand where you are coming from but as far as I'm concerned I learn far more by catching when others are struggling. Even more so when you are doing or using something quite different from the hordes.

I have long given up on the numbers game, as much as I love catching barbel don't think I have the right mentality for being patient enough to be a good barbel angler. Terry Christopher commented that he keeps his rig out for about 40 MINUTES at a time:eek:I just couldn't do that I would fret if the bait was still on or I was in weed or a snag:)
But prolific rivers such as the Wye are a nice change as I am kept busy without the boredom and it does teach me an awful lot about techniques.
For me the challenge for Barbel comes in the Autumn and Winter when I expect that every Barbel to be a double, and the quest for my first 13 is the motivation.

I have long given up on the numbers game, as much as I love catching barbel don't think I have the right mentality for being patient enough to be a good barbel angler. Terry Christopher commented that he keeps his rig out for about 40 MINUTES at a time:eek:I just couldn't do that I would fret if the bait was still on or I was in weed or a snag:)
But prolific rivers such as the Wye are a nice change as I am kept busy without the boredom and it does teach me an awful lot about techniques.
For me the challenge for Barbel comes in the Autumn and Winter when I expect that every Barbel to be a double, and the quest for my first 13 is the motivation.

I suppose it all depends on the approach/tactics. I wouldn't even consider winding in after 40 mins or even 2 hours for no reason unless I was on a roving method. If you are settled to fish a single swim for a session then constant casting for no resaon (feeder fishing excepted) is more likely to disturb the swim. If many swims have been baited for a roving approach then often 20 minutes in each is sufficient.

Back