• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Eels

I will do a search and unearth the E.U. EUROSTAT/FISHSTAT report that shows 800,000 million tonnes of eel products were exported to Asia in the ten year period I quoted above figures.

I've done a bit of digging of my own and found out that a Lb of glasseels consists of 2 to 4 thousand individuals, If we round it up to 3000 and then multiply by 2240 (lb's in a long ton) we get a big number, if we multiply that by 800,000,000,000 (tons exported in 10 years) we get a massive number. If we assume each glass eel is 2 inches long the number is twice as big, you could then divide that that by 36, and that by 1760 and the number starts to shrink, if you divide it again by 25000 you get 6.787879ee9 or 6,788,000,000. That's right, six thousand seven hundred and eighty eight million.

If I got my sums right (no guarantee, I am a bit rusty), that is how many times the glass eels exported to China over a ten year period would go round the world if laid end to end.

How many tankers full of soy sauce I wonder?

Aluminium production was 44.1 million tonnes in 2009....I think the 800,000 million tonnes of eels figure may be wrong...

Aluminium production was 44.1 million tonnes in 2009....I think the 800,000 million tonnes of eels figure may be wrong...
Must be careful we don't get out long ton's, short ton's and metric tonnes mixed up Sam.

And you can knock a zero off for annual production as the 8ee11 was for a ten year period.

If there were say 8 billion people (I know there are only 7), then that's 100 tonnes each over ten years, 10 tonnes per year, 200 kilograms of eel each per week ?

Quotes from above.
"The idea is that while perhaps just 10 per cent of glass eels will develop into elvers in the wild, the figure rises to 90 per cent among those put into tanks for three months."

"Under the SEG’s standard, about half of the glass eels that are caught and put into tanks to develop into elvers are released back into the wild further upstream."

All sounds rather good underhand promo publicity for the SEG until you suss that the tanked elvers released upstream are only to be trapped and slaughtered after maturing into yellows and silvers, on their migration back 'downstream' to the sea...by SEG members. Basically, none of the released Eels upstream are allowed to ever return to the Sargasso sea to breed again. That is the true meaning of 'Sustainable' in the SEG and nothing to do with convervation and protection of the Eels as a species, only commercial slaughter of Eels by the SEG members for profit and gain.

Last edited:
Back