• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Eels

Cheers Steve and Dean,
That is probably my bite for the season on there! Hoping it might do a few more eels this year but in the past few seasons the lake has been producing one fish a year on average (hardly anyone fishes it though), could do an absolute monster.

Such as the 9-10 this week-end Gary? ;)

Simon,
News does travel fast, was 9-9, did the photographs of it. Very impressive fish, looked young as well and wasn't even all that long but very big girth.
It is very exciting on there when you do get a bite, just doesn't happen very often though!

Very fast as it happens Gary :) Fish of the season that, before we've even started ! will take something VERY VERY special to top that.

42.5 long by 10.75 girth. Very fat all the way along its body, looked like a young fish and was 3 in. shorter than my eight from last year.

barry mc,s 9.02 was 12 inch girth very fat fish . 10.75 girth must be all them crayfish its been eating so could have been a very young fish .

nick

Nick,
My mate Dave Ball was there (used to be NAC secretary) and he reckoned it was a young fish judging by the colouration and size of the eye, apparently that changes when they reach maturity, something that i wasn't previously aware of.

gary , my mate knows dave ball realy well hence thats why i know alot about this fish. Has the circus arrived yet ?

Nick,
They won't get on the bank that i fish, only limited tickets available.
Another good thing is that many know how hard this water can be and aren't prepared to put in the time.
I've only been fishing it for the past year myself but live within 12 miles of it. Going to get side-tracked for a bit now as my tench water next door opens this weekend, plus I've already had my quota of bites for the season, or possibly a couple of seasons!

my mates done his far share on there in the past . U must know him . He wrote an eel book last year ! Hope u r has lucky with tench has u r with the eels

Nick,
They won't get on the bank that i fish, only limited tickets available.
Another good thing is that many know how hard this water can be and aren't prepared to put in the time.
I've only been fishing it for the past year myself but live within 12 miles of it. Going to get side-tracked for a bit now as my tench water next door opens this weekend, plus I've already had my quota of bites for the season, or possibly a couple of seasons!

Couple of very nice features on 'The other" bank tho ;) if i were still into Eel fishing i know where i would be going and to hell with the BCSG even if they do control a very good but very old hat Tench water :)

Nick,
Guessing that would be Steve Ricketts, know he fished it and did well quite a few years back.

Simon,
Problem on there is that there are good features everywhere, loads of them in places you can't even get to. I tend to move to a different swim most nights, but both my fish from there have come from the same swim, albeit nearly a year apart! I get Broadwater free anyway as part of my Korda ticket.

Nick,
On my list of ones to buy, haven't been into eel fishing for that long although have dabbled in the past. The 8 i had last year blew me away though and have/will be spending a lot more time after them in future.
The tench fishing isn't too bad on the lake next door either, opened today and will be down there Sunday or Monday hoping for my first double of the season.

Dean,
Do like that for an alternative angle, was fairly pleased at the way the pics came out considering it spent most of its time trying to wrap itself around Chris!

Another monster of a eel has came out 9 lb 10 oz .Just seen photos of it thats 3 over 9 lb in less then a year. It gets better same angler went on to have 7.3 ,5.10. 5.5 and 2 over 3 lb . Any one of them will do me at moment

Last edited:
Back