• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Eels

Was lucky enough to have one of 8-1, believe it was the only one that the water produced last year!
Will be back for another go once it warms up a bit but doubt I'll ever beat that one.

Although i take pics as part of my job I'm completely ignorant when it comes to posting them up on a website. If someone explains a simple way to do it then will happily post one up - they were in my column in Angler's Mail last September, but i know plenty of you don't get the mag so may not have seen them.

Probably the most impressive fish that i have ever caught.

Gary thats a eel of a life time if i could do one of 4 i be made up . As for putting a photo its easy just set up photobuck put your photo on that copy the img code then paste .

Steve,
Ping me over your e-mail address and i will send it to you if that is okay, not great on computers when it comes to anything other than writing stuff or editing pics!

Andy,
I'm certainly no eel expert, not like Barry McConnell, just decided to have a go on a water where i knew the chances of a bite were slim but if i did get a fish it was likely to be big.
The water is full of crayfish but by fishing Dyson rigs (bit like a beachcaster rig but underwater for those that aren't familiar with it, lets the bait hang down suspended off of the bottom, rather than popped up) with lobworms i hardly had any trouble with them at all.
I fish the Dyson rig with an open bailarm and a carp-style bobbin attached under my rear rod rest (as opposed to under the buzzer as usual) and this is weighted so that it balances the buoyancy of the sub-float used in the rig. This makes it very sensitive and exaggerates any movement.

Thanks, Gary. I've looked at the Dyson rig but not used it. Crayfish aren't a problem in the lakes I'll be fishing this season, do you think there's any benefit in using the Dyson rig anyway? In other words, does fishing the bait off the bottom increase the likelihood of a bite, or is it just to keep it out of the way of crayfish and perhaps above any weed/debris?

Just brought a pair of Barrys roll over bite indicators cost a bit but been playing around with them look a great bit of kit Andy but if you just going to have a fish for them now and again a friend of mine use monkey climbers with the needle under the reel. As for the dyson rig rig still cant get my head round it as such but will have a play with it this season but i still got a lot of faith in the Sidley rig and its a bit more up to date then when i first use it . IF you want to know more Andy look on the NAC web site

Last edited:
Deano, do you use the Amnesia leader, as shown on the NAC site? And do you use the bouyant version like the diagram on the NAC site, or the plain paternoster like this one?
john%20sidley%20rig.jpg

Whats that in German :eek:. Andy i will be using amnesia between the two swivels . . Or like a friend passed on a cork ball on the link ledger.Andy its been a few years since i fished hard for eels but this will be my set up for most of my eel fishing this coming season .If i bump in to you i show you more this coming season.

Last edited:
Hi Gary,
speaking to Mark Salt (Anguilla Club) he reckons the "first one you catch is the biggest" myth is now debunked. He's going back to venues he's fished before with a whole new perspective, he reckons, based on other Club members results.

I'm doing some eeling on the Fishers Green pits (Lea Valley) this Spring, similarly large and underfished. Pretty much UN-fished for eels with potential for monsters.

Likewise using the JS Rig with a popped-up bomb-link, since it gets weedy quickly.

Andy,
The main reason for using the Dyson rig was to try and get round the crayfish (which it did) as anything popped up from the bottom didn't last very long as they used to walk along the hook link (they did the same with zig rigs for carp)! I do like it as a way of presenting a bait off of the bottom that offers very little resistance when you get a take, but probably worth asking someone with more experience of eel fishing than i have.

Simon,
Best of luck over there, some very interesting waters and could through up something very big. Very exciting just waiting for a run on somewhere like that.
A few friends did advise me that i should give up eel fishing after catching that one and quit whilst i was ahead (think they were just worried i might get another one!), and that was before i blanked for around 30 nights, very enjoyable though with 300 acres to myself most nights.

Any one been out. Just bootlaces for me so far but least im getting runs now after these silly frosty nights we had

Dean,
Got lucky on my first night of the season after them, was about 10 days ago though when it was warmer, nice fish of 5-5 from a 300 acre (seen various sizes stated between 200 and 300 acres for the place, all i know for sure is it is pretty big)! Had a few blanks since then though, Dyson rig and lobworm did the trick again.

Out tomorrow Deano, on the syndicate lake.

I've got a few little 'ideas' that I want to put into practice, but typically I'm going to be pushed for time.
My lads have their last footy match of the season tonight - Win and we can finish joint top, loose or draw and we finish second (but still get promoted)....So I'm busy with that this evening.
Then got to try to get my little idea sorted and load the gear so I can be at work for 6am and away for lunch time.......

Where are you on Saturday?

Well done Gary, a cracker of a fish.

Steve

Cheers Steve and Dean,
That is probably my bite for the season on there! Hoping it might do a few more eels this year but in the past few seasons the lake has been producing one fish a year on average (hardly anyone fishes it though), could do an absolute monster.

What a bite to have Gary. Steve was hoping to fish a new pool i just join but might have to wait another week so looks like im on the normal place i been fishing last few weeks

Last edited:
Back