• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

EE,s fishing the river in closed season!!!

This is a very good point, most casual, part time fishermen have little or no idea when the close season is, so someone coming in from another country is hardly going to know either.

Agree with what your saying mate, but if you think of British anglers going abroad we find all the information out possible to fish abroad which is clearly something they don't do mate!!!!

True enough. They did move without a fuss when you told them though, benefit of the doubt and all that. That's not to say they wont be back mind.

True enough. They did move without a fuss when you told them though, benefit of the doubt and all that. That's not to say they wont be back mind.

Yeah they did move without a fuss which is fair enough mate they might have been genuine either way I wernt having it :)

EA were on to some Poles fishing Lower Lode on the Severn yesterday....believe me Sam THEY KNOW it's off limits, they are as slippery as Eels.

Of course they know it's off-season. Last week I was speaking with a man I know who looks after a bit of river in the South, who told me that his water has regular close season visits by teams of 3 to 6 EE spinfishers, each with a rod and a small backpack, highly mobile and fishing through the stretch fast, each looking out for trouble and ready to leg it if tackled by my friend and his non-fishery colleagues. When caught (which they have been, twice), they go all Fawlty Towers Manuel - "I know nothing...".

Have reported them on a local part of the Wandle near me for four years and not once has the EA shown up to remove them, I have watched them smash barbel and chub over the head and chucked in a bag, I spoke to one guy who had a carrier bag full of roach dace and gudgeon, these are all fishing in an area covered in EA signs telling of the close season and rod licences needed, watched a group with a cool box on the mole years back and it was full of pike.
The local part of river to me now has got very noticably harder over the last 4yrs, not just because of the polution but also because there is at least two fishing and removing fish everyday.
I spoke to a group fishing the Thames at laleham last summer who were openly BBQing perch on the bank who knew they could remove so many fish per day, when I spoke to a dog walker I met in the local what I see he saI'd there is normally a dozen every night along that stretch.
I would say that on nearly every session I done on the Wandle or the Thames last year I see at least three fishing.
If that's in just the small areas I fish how many fish are removed from the whole river in one week or even one evening.
People say it's ok for them to take the odd one for the pot as they are allowed but if there is groups of 3/4 as there normally is, most nights on most stretches of river then how long before the rivers are wiped out.
Not to mention the mess they leave, I am constantly cleaning swims when out before I fish them (or on clean ups) and it is pretty much always polish beer cans, tins of meat and carrier bags.
I have also found dead lines and traps, recently removed a dead line that a swan had picked up on a private water that I fish.

Have reported them on a local part of the Wandle near me for four years and not once has the EA shown up to remove them, I have watched them smash barbel and chub over the head and chucked in a bag, I spoke to one guy who had a carrier bag full of roach dace and gudgeon, these are all fishing in an area covered in EA signs telling of the close season and rod licences needed, watched a group with a cool box on the mole years back and it was full of pike.
The local part of river to me now has got very noticably harder over the last 4yrs, not just because of the polution but also because there is at least two fishing and removing fish everyday.
I spoke to a group fishing the Thames at laleham last summer who were openly BBQing perch on the bank who knew they could remove so many fish per day, when I spoke to a dog walker I met in the local what I see he saI'd there is normally a dozen every night along that stretch.
I would say that on nearly every session I done on the Wandle or the Thames last year I see at least three fishing.
If that's in just the small areas I fish how many fish are removed from the whole river in one week or even one evening.
People say it's ok for them to take the odd one for the pot as they are allowed but if there is groups of 3/4 as there normally is, most nights on most stretches of river then how long before the rivers are wiped out.
Not to mention the mess they leave, I am constantly cleaning swims when out before I fish them (or on clean ups) and it is pretty much always polish beer cans, tins of meat and carrier bags.
I have also found dead lines and traps, recently removed a dead line that a swan had picked up on a private water that I fish.
I agree with you mate they all know what there doing they should respect our rules or p*ss off bk to poland its not on why do we even bother yo pay for our licence if the ea dnt respond at times it would be easy for them to wipe a section of river in a season if they kept takin fish say 3 times a week.

you think that's bad, i was speaking to the warden of a local park lake who told me he came across 2 men from the east wading out in a nature reserve with a hand spear after the carp, the water in this bit is only 2 ft deep and the big carp hold up there in the summer, you couldn't make it up!

Me and my son found a large area about 6ft square of scales in a park lake next to a stream, when we mentioned it to one of the rangers he just laughed and said 'the poles were netting it last night, that's where they shake the nets out.!!!

The problem is that the EEs know that they can fish with impunity. Nobody does anything to persuade them other wise. Confiscating a bid of crud tackle is fruitless and will have no impact whatsoever. Until the problem is taken seriously by people with some clout then it will be an ever increasing problem. I suspect that the majority of the public aren't aware of their illegal activities, as far as the Police are concerned it is mere bagatelle and not their problem and the EA haven't got the personnel to deal with it. As for education, that's tosh in my opinion. I don't know what the solution is. Perhaps like the otters, when a stretch has been cleared, they'll move on. Pity they don't target the chalk streams down South, something would then happen, the wealthy landowners would see to that, probably set some man- traps.

Dave tell em if the go to little brittain lake and wade out to the island behind the river theyll have a great time, heheheh the silts ove 4ft deep there

Dave tell em if the go to little brittain lake and wade out to the island behind the river theyll have a great time, heheheh the silts ove 4ft deep there
that's weird john, i was only there today getting some sun in the picnic area.
LB for bream, lots of em.:eek:
but i was talking black park.

Last edited:
Some of the unenlightened few on BFW probably consider me to be a bigot, but what sort of people are these EEs that are poaching? For example, I really can't see Polish Doctors, Dentists, Accountants etc carrying on like this either in their own country and especially in someone else's country. The people who are doing the poaching are the dregs of those countries, they can't make a go of it at home so they try their luck somewhere else. That's what irks me about immigration in general, we seem to attract far too much trash.

Some of the unenlightened few on BFW probably consider me to be a bigot, but what sort of people are these EEs that are poaching? For example, I really can't see Polish Doctors, Dentists, Accountants etc carrying on like this either in their own country and especially in someone else's country. The people who are doing the poaching are the dregs of those countries, they can't make a go of it at home so they try their luck somewhere else. That's what irks me about immigration in general, we seem to attract far too much trash.

Your spot on there mate this country is to soft not only are theses foreign scum bags taking our fish there also taking our jobs at my place were i work for every english man that leaves is replaced by a polish or hungarin it is sicking.

"I'm not a Far Right racist ... some of my best friends are Far Right racists ... it's just that I like my curry ... which everybody knows is Britain's National Dish and was invented in Bradford..."

EDL-Bradford-007.jpg

Thinks: "Right. That should get them going..."

"I'm not a Far Right racist ... some of my best friends are Far Right racists ... it's just that I like my curry ... which everybody knows is Britain's National Dish and was invented in Bradford..."

Oh no its not!!!

curry has been topped by Chinese as the nation's takeaway of choice.

A hefty 12 per cent more ethnic food fans now say they prefer the Eastern food to an Indian.

Overall, 83 per cent of Brits voted a Chinese as their favourite ethnic food, while 71 per cent still preferred a curry, the poll by market analyst Mintel showed.

Back